Is the Snapdragon in the Note 4 64-bit?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is the snapdragon note 4 64-bit?

I think it will take a good two years before a large number of apps will really take advantage of 64 bit processors. And most of the people on forums like this one upgrade at least every two years. Many do it more frequently.That doesn't mean they won't be recompiled to support 64 bit; they certainly will. But that doesn't really change much. To really take advantage of the 64 bit architecture will require significant rewriting, not recompiling.

And I seriously doubt many developers will stop supporting 32 bit architectures. To do so means writing off 90% of the potential market. That would be sheer idiocy on the part of anyone who wants to make money. "Let's see, I can write and compile my app to work with 100+ million 32 bit devices, or 5 million 64 bit devices. I'm going 64 bit all the way!" Not likely.

But if you're convinced 64 bit will be a major advantage soon, then don't buy a new phone any time soon. It will be at least next Spring before you start to see high-end phones with 64 bit processors. The real truth, which few on these forums will admit, is that except for gaming even a 2 year old Galaxy S3, Note 2, or similar devices will do everything most people need. A Galaxy s5 doesn't really do much that a Galaxy S3 won't do. The urge to repeatedly upgrade has more to do with desire (and marketing), the 2-year contract cycle, and batteries that wear out (and cost absurd amounts to replace) than it does any real need for more power

One of the VPs that I work with had an S3 until recently. He was perfectly satisfied with it, until it just wouldn't get through a work day on a charge. His two year commitment was up, so he replaced it with an S5. Without the subsidized pricing model, I bet he would have decided to just replace the battery rather than spending $500 on a new phone, especially if a genuine Samsung battery didn't cost an arm and a leg.

In what other consume product area do we replace perfectly good devices every year or two just because it needs a new battery or other small part? Imagine buying a new lamp every time the bulb burns out.

I have an S3 and I don't know how anyone could get through a day without charging it unless they were using an extended battery.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

My s3 gets me through a work day just but I admit it's dimmed down.

As for 64 bit it'll take some time before we are really seeing the benefits of it, think about note 6 as the earliest. The s6 will have the 808 and Samsung might safe the 810 for the next note.

Think about our desktops a lot of programs are still 32 bit and the difference is marginal at best.

But yeah given the choice I would pick the 64 exynos just to be future proof.since I'm not keen on updating every 2 years

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Both Qualcomm and exynos are 32-bit. Exynos 5433 is wrongly mentioned in various forums as 64-bit, couldn't be more wrong.
And another point being mentioned that Exynos not compatible with LTE. This is plain wrong, and misinformation. For example, Note 2 used Exynos 4412 with LTE. Exynos 5430 also has LTE-A with Intel's XMM 7260 modem.

ace0187420

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

Both Qualcomm and exynos are 32-bit. Exynos 5433 is wrongly mentioned in various forums as 64-bit, couldn't be more wrong.
And another point being mentioned that Exynos not compatible with LTE. This is plain wrong, and misinformation. For example, Note 2 used Exynos 4412 with LTE. Exynos 5430 also has LTE-A with Intel's XMM 7260 modem.

Where are you getting your information? I've looked everywhere and have yet to find any site or forum that says the exynos is 32 bit. It's all over the Internet not just on forum's that the exynos is 64 bit. So do you have some info that no one else does? It's 64 bit check your facts.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

According to GSM Arena and Rootzwiki the exynos 5433 is 64 bit and made with ARM Cortex 57 and ARM Cortex 53 cores. According to ARM these are both 64 bit processors.

That being said I still have no problem getting the Note 4 with a 805. Although I am tempted by the new Moto X.

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Where are you getting your information? I've looked everywhere and have yet to find any site or forum that says the exynos is 32 bit. It's all over the Internet not just on forum's that the exynos is 64 bit. So do you have some info that no one else does? It's 64 bit check your facts.

Do you have any proof that Exynos 5433 is 64-bit other than leaked AnTuTu benchmark??
AnTuTu database is filled manually by hand. That by itself is not a proof.

One of the biggest Exynos developers AndreiLux (developer of Perseus kernel) has already mentioned this many times in past, for months infact. He is the best known dev in the Exynos field and a very well-connected source for Samsung related news.

- Exynos 3xxx are used for A7/A8 SOC
- Exynos 4xxx was based on A9-type
- Exynos 5xxx all based on A15-class

So why suddenly Exynos 5433 will be based on A57?

Any A57-class Exynos device will have a new series number like 6xxx. It's so obvious.

1st digit shows the generation of device, 2nd digit usually shows the number of 'major' cores. Like 5250 has 2 cores, or 5430 has 4 cores (ignoring low power A7 cores).

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Do you have any proof that Exynos 5433 is 64-bit other than leaked AnTuTu benchmark??

One of the biggest Exynos developers AndreiLux (developer of Perseus kernel) has already mentioned this many times in past, for months infact. He is the best known dev in the Exynos field and a very well-connected source for Samsung related news.

Any A57-class Exynos device will have a new series number like 6xxx. It's so obvious.

1st digit shows the generation of device, 2nd digit usually shows the number of 'major' cores. Like 5250 has 2 cores, or 5430 has 4 cores (ignoring low power A7 cores).
That makes sense. You would expect a bigger leap in the model number of They switched architecture.

ace0187420

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

How come every single site says it's 64 bit I can't even find one that says it's 32 bit and you done nothing to prove it's 32 bit other than say it is? You got anything other than your opinion?

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I get a new phone every 2-4 months, so I'm not too worried about "future-proofing". Lol

Posted via the Android Central App

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

How come every single site says it's 64 bit I can't even find one that says it's 32 bit and you done nothing to prove it's 32 bit other than say it is? You got anything other than your opinion?

Attachments

• ZzcK27e.png
    ZzcK27e.png
    202.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Denelor

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Future proofingLet’s take a step back, though. At the moment, having a 32-bit processor is no bad thing. There’s currently no intrinsic benefit to having an Android phone with a 64-bit chipset.*

However, that won’t be the case for that much longer.*

Android L is going to offer native support for 64-bit processors, and that involves a substantial re-working of the system so it can make use of what those CPUs pack. This isn’t a tweak, it’s groundwork for the future.*

And we’re not going to see 64-bit chipsets reserved for elite phones either. Qualcomm has already revealed the Snapdragon 610 for mid-range phones, and the Snapdragon 410 for those closer to entry-level.*

It won’t just be the*Galaxy S6*that’ll be looking down at the Note 4. It’ll be pretty much every new phone.

So why doesn’t the Galaxy Note 4 have a 64-bit CPU? It’s a case of timing.*

Samsung does not rely exclusively on its ‘own-brand’ Exynos line for top-tier devices like the Note 4, presumably because it doesn’t have the capacity to roll-out the tens of millions of units required. And while Qualcomm’s low-end and mid-range 64-bit chipsets are due out by the end of the year, the top dog Snapdragon 810 isn’t set to arrive until 2015.*

In order to arrive this year, the Note 4 had to be sacrificed. And now it has Jack syndrome, doomed to be old before its time (RIP Robin Williams).

32-bit vs 64-bitOf course, we haven’t yet explained why having a 64-bit processor is going to be important, only that soon just about every new phone will have one.

So what’s the big deal? The main advancement offered by a 64-bit processor is that it exponentially increases the memory address space of a system. Apologies for using a techy term that seems about as impenetrable as a James Joyce novel with half the words missing (wouldn't that improve it? - Ed.), but it can be explained reasonably simply.*

Address space refers to the total amount of physical memory that can be accessed by a CPU at once time. In a 32-bit system the total address space is around 4GB.*

And that's the limit of any memory accessible, not just plain RAM. And that’s why we’ve more-or-less seen mobile phones hit a brick wall at 3GB – a 32-bit system cannot access more than this in one go. While the Snapdragon 805 has a special LPAE system in place that would allow 4GB to be used, the Note 4 is very much in 32-bit RAM territory.

With a 64-bit system, this address space is raised from 4GB to theoretical maximum that ranges in exabytes (a billion gigabytes). There is no real ceiling with 64-bit.*

64-bit processors also feature many more registers, which allows for much greater simultaneous crunching of data. Many might argue this is actually more important than the address space issue.*

It’s this that is going to put an end to the trend of simply upping clock speeds in CPUs –*changes that have fairly little tangible benefit, and the reason why Android CPUs have barely progressed in the last year or so. CPU registers are where the actual data being worked on by the processor is stored, and more of them will allow a CPU to tackle more data simultaneously.*

Benchmarks of the Exynos 5433, the processor used in the 64-bit version of the Galaxy Note 4, comfortably outperforms the Snapdragon 805 one already. And that’s without any real 64-bit optimisation in the Android system.*

How about giving credit where it's due? You ripped that giant wall of text from someone else's article. In fact, it looks like most of your posts in this thread a ripped from that article. Unless you're Andrew Williams (the article's author), that's a ****ty thing to do.

Why being non-64-bit kills the Galaxy Note 4's futureproofing - Opinion - Trusted Reviews

Not cool.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

lets be realistic here, how long was 64bit CPU in existence? 64 bit OS?

and guess what, every single software out there has a 32bit version, and 99.9999% only have 32bit version.

This 64bit mania on mobile phone is all fake, at least for next 5 years.

Denelor

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

lets be realistic here, how long was 64bit CPU in existence? 64 bit OS?

and guess what, every single software out there has a 32bit version, and 99.9999% only have 32bit version.

This 64bit mania on mobile phone is all fake, at least for next 5 years.

I think it might be faster than 5 years. Mobile phone development has paralleled desktop computer development just at a much higher rate of change. I see 2 years maybe or 3 years likely, but that's just a subjective number I get from watching the industry. The first 64-bit OS (of Android) is NOT going to be the one that makes 64-bit phones dominant. It's just not. Whatever Android-M is will probably be the one. L is the 32-to-64 bit transition OS.

But even allowing for a much faster rate of change Qualcomm's 64-bit chips aren't even shipping until the end of this year and (more likely) next year with the next round of flagship phone due out in what? May 2015? Given that you can't convince me that 64-bit is going to be the standard by the end of next year. Will it be used by some apps or features? Sure. But it's not going to break the functionality, or even marginally impair the functionality of today's high end 32-bit phone.

ace0187420

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

To begin with I never said I wrote just posted available information. I also wasn't sure if you were allowed to post links to other pages which is against some forums rules. What wall of text?

Denelor

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

To begin with I never said I wrote just posted available information. I also wasn't sure if you were allowed to post links to other pages which is against some forums rules. What wall of text?

You don't have to reply with a link to attribute the original author. I'm pretty sure if someone posts something without saying someone else wrote it, the natural assumption is that the poster wrote it.

l3uddz

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site

Just a follow up, was reading xda forum and one of the guys said something interesting..

Instruction set ARMv7 is in ARM Cortex A53 and ARM Cortex A57. I have been play with HTC Desire 510 64bit for a while in shop. Installed Antutu and it show ARMv7 in details.

ARMv7 is read from OS as Android 4.4 is 32bit.

IF Exynos 5433 is 64 bit, we will have more with Android L

So if we lucky the exnyos could be 64bit

anon367353

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

First of all apologies to "ace0187420", he was right about the 64-bit part. I did some new digging, and found conclusive evidence that it's a 64-bit A57-based SOC.

This is Exynos 5433 Geekbench result : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/745794

Concentrate on variant 1 part 3335 revision 0

variant 1 revision 0 = r1p0.
part 3335 means it's part of A57 family. Check the proof below.

33353iug5.png

0xD07 is equivalent to 3335 in decimal, which is the number mentioned in Geekbench.

Also check it says "AArch32". This is another proof that it is A57-based. AArch32 is ARMv8 32-bit execution state and is meant for 64-bit SOC.

Why the hell Samsung named it Exynos 5xxx is beyond my imagination.

Note: We can also see new Exynos 7-series processor in works which also based on A57. No idea what happened to Exynos 6-series.

Few details here: https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-samsung-soc@vger.kernel.org/msg35957.html

Last edited:

ace0187420

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
It's cool just confused as why they would make one version with a 64 bit processor and the other 32 bit while knowing the next os update will be 64 bit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1