Note 4 a good two year phone?

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I figured I'd put this question to all of you experts here on the forums.

If you are looking for a phone to hold you over for two years on a contract upgrade (future proof), is the Note 4 a good buy? Or, is the whole 32 v 64 bit, and other upgrades over the note 3, not significant enough?

A little background, I have a note 3, but also have an upgrade waiting. Not sure of I should go now with a note 4 or wait for the 5? So, I'll be married to the Note 4 or 5 for two years (and I know we have no idea that a Note 5 will even exist).

Thanks

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
By itself, sure.

But note 5 will likely be a more significant upgrade.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Jerry. That's my point, does that really matter for the next two years?

Right now, it doesn't matter that much.

When Google stands on a stage and shows features that only 64-bit capable phones will get with the next version, then it matters. A lot. It will be like the iPhone 5S / 5C. One gets new features, one does not.

Of course, the Nexus X that's floating around everywhere also has a 32-bit processor in it. As does every other phone worth considering between now and Christmas.

My advice for everyone is to not buy a new phone until you find one you like with a 64-bit CPU in it, in case versions of Android past L have features that require one.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Right now, it doesn't matter that much.

When Google stands on a stage and shows features that only 64-bit capable phones will get with the next version, then it matters. A lot. It will be like the iPhone 5S / 5C. One gets new features, one does not.

Of course, the Nexus X that's floating around everywhere also has a 32-bit processor in it. As does every other phone worth considering between now and Christmas.

My advice for everyone is to not buy a new phone until you find one you like with a 64-bit CPU in it, in case versions of Android past L have features that require one.
Thank you! This is what I needed to know. The note 3 is still rock solid, so I'll wait for now.
I'm holding out for the hologram note 10 lol

Posted via Android Central App
Ha!
I'm holding out for the self-aware Note 20.
Lol!

I am not holding out past the note 5!

Carla97220

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! This is what I needed to know. The note 3 is still rock solid, so I'll wait for now.

Ha!

Lol!

I am not holding out past the note 5!

on second thought, I'll hold out for Note 30. By then, it should be legal for humans to marry their smartphones. a lot of people today already spend more time with their smartphone than their spouses.

vampyren

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
This talk about 32 vs 64 bit is getting a bit out of hand! take a minute and think about what it actually means for a day to day use. I personally think it has ZERO benefit. Sure the day we go past 4GB of ram it will be useful. Now Note 4 has what matters, that is a much much better GPU for your gaming and graphic uses and also the Camera and the optical stabilization. Those things together with the metal case is worth a buy. This beast can easily last 2 year.
The other talk make me think you guys have been sort of brain washed by the Apple campain :) i also have a iphone as well as S4 so its not that i dont like Apple but seriously with a quadcore CPU and kick [inappropriate language edited by Moderator] GPU and 3GB Ram there is nothing to complain here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
You may even want to consider getting the IPhone coming out TOMORROW, especially if you aren't using your stilus that frequently. If the 5.5 IPhone gets made, you will now have 64 bits, a better low light camera, more reliable reception, and other new features Apple is sure to announce tomorrow.

While I am not a fan of IOS, I would certainly consider this phone, provided it has decent battery life, something that Apple might get right with more space to pack the power. One advantage of 64 bit, too, is it increases the energy efficiency of the device, so that you can expect even with a big screen, better battery life between charges.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I fail to see the benefit of 64 bit, when no phone has more than 3gb memory. And i don't see any phone on the horizon in the next two years with more than 3gb memory and use that much.

Exactly what kind of mobile app that actually demands 64 bit cup and more than 3 memory? How about zero? There is no photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, matlab, autocad, diablo4, skyrim, etc.

Its all fake importance as far I'm concerned.

Posted via the Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Honestly most of the current top end Android phones are a good two year phone (most anyways). You could easily get 2 years on a Note 3, let alone a Note 4 and even longer. Software updates aside it isn't going to stop working just because the carrier won't give an update past 5.0 or 5.1 it will do a great job and I am curious where we go from 2k Displays, 16MP OIS camera's, whats really left, curved displays (no thanks).

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I too see little advantage of 64 bit for the kind of things we use our phones for. Yes, it will support more memory, but few current users will really use more than 3. Eventually we'll get bigger apps that will take advantage of more memory, but I'll bet the first generation of 64 bit phones still have 3 GB, 4 at most. More RAM means more energy use and more cost, so manufacturers won't supply more than needed.

Yes, 64 bit [potentially] allows faster data transfers. But this is a phone. We're not doing massive database updates, downloading multiple video streams simultaneously, or running 4 or 5 foreground apps at the same time.

64 bit processors and OS's, if done right, will provide for better multi-tasking. But the rarely acknowledged truth is that most Android apps really don't multi-task all that much. When in the background, most apps are pretty inactive, using little in the way of cpu.

Eventually, we'll see apps that really take advantage of 4 bit architectures. Maybe. In the next couple of years I doubt it'll significantly change the way we use our phones.

Apple has had a 64bit processor, and a 64 bit OS, in the iPhone for a while now. I don't see much real world advantage. It's not noticeably faster, doesn't get better battery life (just the opposite, in fact), and hasn't enabled any fantastic capabilities that only work on 64 bit devices. That's iOS, of course, not Android, but it shows that just switching to 64 bit systems doesn't magically make everything better.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I too see little advantage of 64 bit for the kind of things we use our phones for. Yes, it will support more memory, but few current users will really use more than 3. Eventually we'll get bigger apps that will take advantage of more memory, but I'll bet the first generation of 64 bit phones still have 3 GB, 4 at most. More RAM means more energy use and more cost, so manufacturers won't supply more than needed.

Yes, 64 bit [potentially] allows faster data transfers. But this is a phone. We're not doing massive database updates, downloading multiple video streams simultaneously, or running 4 or 5 foreground apps at the same time.

64 bit processors and OS's, if done right, will provide for better multi-tasking. But the rarely acknowledged truth is that most Android apps really don't multi-task all that much. When in the background, most apps are pretty inactive, using little in the way of cpu.

Eventually, we'll see apps that really take advantage of 4 bit architectures. Maybe. In the next couple of years I doubt it'll significantly change the way we use our phones.

Apple has had a 64bit processor, and a 64 bit OS, in the iPhone for a while now. I don't see much real world advantage. It's not noticeably faster, doesn't get better battery life (just the opposite, in fact), and hasn't enabled any fantastic capabilities that only work on 64 bit devices. That's iOS, of course, not Android, but it shows that just switching to 64 bit systems doesn't magically make everything better.

I will agree. I have an iPad Air and an iPhone 5S, both sporting 64 bit chips and I really don't see much of a difference between them and the previous year's models. I don't think that the Note 4 not being 64 bit will make much of a difference unless you were planning to keep your device longer than two years. For those who upgrade every year, this is a moot point because by the time 64 bit chip is really relevant, you will probably be looking at the Note 5 that will have it.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk