09-26-2014 02:50 AM
90 1234
tools
    We get it, you still love rooting slashyou, now please leave it there in this thread - Thanks.

---------------

@ohbreeezy
    I had a GS2 until recently, still on 4.1.2 and the OS had nothing really missing compared to 4.3 and 4.4 on my Note 3, so I would also keep an original Note on the last OS version destined for it.
    Glad it's running well, and no app issues as yet.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    Cool am gonna talk a bit more about root here
    09-13-2014 04:54 PM
    This thread has now been taken over so I as the OP am out.
    Post here if you wish.

09-13-2014 04:56 PM
    Who has had a recent generation smartphone (2010/2011+) in heavy use for 2 years without hardware issues?

Will anyone buying before this Christmas NOT change again before Christmas 2015?

I imagine very few. Current format touch screen devices *must be* limited in lifespan, and new design philosophies will change our wants long term anyway.

Ergonomics and modular phones will make inroads.

The days of 4+ year old phones are long gone.

So 2 questions really:

Does current hardware, specifically digitizers and screens, last?

Have current smartphones reached a peak, and we will all want something different in the very near future?

**edited.
    WOW found out that root is cool it void knox and makes android better please root and thank me later cause now you cant you your phone 100% like if you buy a computer and the admin has a lock and you can only use guest that would be boring right?

Root your phone and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!
    09-13-2014 04:57 PM
    This thread has now been taken over so I as the OP am out.
    Post here if you wish.

By me
    09-13-2014 04:57 PM
    I wasn't worrying if a new purchase will last me two years, more wondering if many will keep theirs that long anymore.
    I agree the Note 2 is still a great phone, and if I had got that instead of my puny GS2 in 2012, I would hopefully still have it now. But I think that's rare, and technology and people's expectations have changed a lot.
    That Verizon have good no quibble support demonstrates more that they are not expecting phones to last. Maybe 2 year contracts will become unviable for carriers as well if they start having to replace so many. They would all have to encourage customers to upgrade early as many are doing.

We can all read so many posts where phones have failed within 12 - 16 months or less.

I would still buy outright, partly because I don't trust the major carriers here in the UK.

@dpham00 your phone is serving you exceedingly well I know. But maybe it is now more a streaming device and the screen and digitizer get less than regular use. Just a guess. Do you use your other phone/s for everyday use?

@Shanghaichica your mum may have a few more years in that iPhone 4, although I would guess switching to a newer iPhone and IOS is easier than swapping Android phones.

To repeat my story, before 2012 I had the same Sony Ericsson phone since 2004 (resistive touch screen with stylus!). Though like street sweeper Trigger's 22 year old broom in the UK comedy series, I had replaced the Broom Handle and Head many times.

The screen does get less usage than before on the screen for sure, but still is a few hours a day at least. I do use an lg g pad 8.3 which is tethered to the note 3.

With regards to Verizon extended warranty, it is an option ($3/mo) that Verizon and other major usa carriers offer. Those who plan to keep the phone for over a year should consider an extended warranty plan, either on the carrier or third party. If not, be prepared, should it fail outside of warranty. It is highly unlikely that they would move to 1 year contracts as the cost would be quite a bit more. Verizon had one year contracts, but did away with it in 2011.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-13-2014 05:03 PM
    This is really a great question. I usually get tired of the phone after about 6 months and am ready to try something new. In the past, software fragmentation was a big problem. I remember having a Droid Eris and feeling trapped because I couldn't have access to turn by turn navigation.

In the last couple of years, I have noticed that waiting for the OEM to push a software update through the carrier is like pulling teeth. I wont ever buy a phone not having the current OS version. My plan going forward (implementing it now with my G3) is to root and block future OTAs that would block potential exploits. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the bootloader unlocked so I can install custom ROMs like CM11. At that point, my device will be able to keep up as long as the hardware remains viable.

A year ago, I gave my wife my one year old iPhone 5. Although functional even without a power button, that device is EOL even though it has the current OS. The point is wear and tear associated with daily use will drive you to a new phone before the OS is outdated. Two years is too long. You may be using duct tape to hold the thing together.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-13-2014 05:13 PM
    Good points both.
    With regards to Verizon extended warranty, it is an option ($3/mo) that Verizon and other major usa carriers offer. Those who plan to keep the phone for over a year should consider an extended warranty plan, either on the carrier or third party. If not, be prepared, should it fail outside of warranty. It is highly unlikely that they would move to 1 year contracts as the cost would be quite a bit more. Verizon had one year contracts, but did away with it in 2011.
    Yeh, the monthlies would be way too high over 12 months of course --- and good advice.

In the last couple of years, I have noticed that waiting for the OEM to push a software update through the carrier is like pulling teeth. I wont ever buy a phone not having the current OS version. My plan going forward (implementing it now with my G3) is to root and block future OTAs that would block potential exploits. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the bootloader unlocked so I can install custom ROMs like CM11. At that point, my device will be able to keep up as long as the hardware remains viable.

A year ago, I gave my wife my one year old iPhone 5. Although functional even without a power button, that device is EOL even though it has the current OS. The point is wear and tear associated with daily use will drive you to a new phone before the OS is outdated. Two years is too long. You may be using duct tape to hold the thing together.
    Yes, that's a good way to avoid another KitKat type Katastrophe (I had to!).

I wouldn't mind swapping every 6 months if I could justify it financially, it may be easy to sell and change up when you're not on contract. You may lose 150-250 but it's a hobby!

It can take me about 6 months to a year to adapt to a phone like the Note 3, so I may be tempted to stick to the same brand.
    There are plenty of current phones I would love to try though, including Sony's, G3 and new Moto X.

Worth pointing out too that people treat phones differently, jus like batteries.
    If you wrap phones in cotton wool they may last longer, but is it necessary?
    09-13-2014 06:51 PM
    I had the LG NITRO (P930)
    I used it for 4 years.
    I still use it to download apps and test stuff out.
    Came with 2.3.5. and was updated via LG mobile support tool to 4.0.4
    If anything it performs better than my LG G3.
    LG software or hardware seems to always reboot or shutdown for some reason.
    I went with LG again only because it is easy to recover from boot loops and security errors.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-13-2014 08:22 PM
    Well, the iPhone 6 has the same specs as the Galaxy Nexus 4 (2012), and plenty of people will buy that phone, so, yeah, maybe.
    No LTE and ****ty camera but I guess the rest is the same
    09-13-2014 09:46 PM
    I would say yes, if it have KitKat (see CyanogenMod). I wouldn't even use a phone with version older than 4.3 right now.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-13-2014 09:59 PM
    I am still using my Galaxy Nexus i515 as a home wifi phone and it has not had a hardware failure yet. With CyanogenMod it still gets OTA updates.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-13-2014 11:10 PM
    Atrix HD. Running like top still.

Lg0Gpro_2_AC
    09-13-2014 11:20 PM
    I wanted to learn about stock phones. It may be better to root older phones and flash but the question was about whether the hardware/screen /digitser would last, and whether most people would upgrade after a year.

This is all gobbledygook to me and I currently have no interest in rooting.
    On a cold winter weekend I may torture an old phone, but not right now

My phone is coming up to a 10 months old, my previous was 18 months and before that I had 7+ versions of a 2004 symbian phone.

09-14-2014 09:19 AM
    im lucky if i keep my devices for 3 months at a time. i constantly change.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-14-2014 09:45 AM
    im lucky if i keep my devices for 3 months at a time. i constantly change.
    Wow. I am sure there are more like this though.

09-14-2014 09:58 AM
    Do you genuinely believe this?

Posted via Android Central App
    09-14-2014 10:15 AM
    Do you genuinely believe this?

Posted via Android Central App
    I believe there are people who will do this, if it's a hobby. I have worked for many extremely wealthy people, and phones are chicken feed. Though conversely they tend to hold on to cars and other purchases a lot longer.
    Changing phones would be very time consuming.
    I don't know the *poster. I prefer to be polite and consider they are telling the truth. It's only a $500 phone. Yes I know what goes on in some forums. This is a good community. If some posters wants to tell a fib it's their loss ultimately.
    I wasn't born yesterday. I was born Thursday. Do you believe that?
    09-14-2014 10:45 AM
    I have used my phone pretty heavily. As you know, I have used 5 terabytes of data before... My phone has run at high load for hours on end, and it is still fine. I don't see why it wouldn't last another year. Even with multiple drops and being thrown many times. I obviously wouldn't recommend it, but my note 3 has endured.

Two years ago, the note 2 was released. Since then, I would consider the note 3 and Note 4 to be incremental increases. The Note II still runs fine today. Sure,it might not be as fast and it doesn't have some features that newer devices have, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Also, I don't know what services your carrier provides, but Verizon offers extended warranty, which will replace the device for any warranty issues indefinitely, so long as you are on the program.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    $3 is really good, and would be dumb to pass on, I agree. Most insurance cover pushed here could be half the montly in the past, with hefty commissions etc. Probably was similar in the US. There was a reports and investigations and I don't know what cover costs now, but is normally provided by a 3rd party insurer. I would do $3 if it means missing a cappuccino.
    09-14-2014 10:58 AM
    I believe there are people who will do this, if it's a hobby. I have worked for many extremely wealthy people, and phones are chicken feed. Though conversely they tend to hold on to cars and other purchases a lot longer.
    Changing phones would be very time consuming.
    I don't know the *poster. I prefer to be polite and consider they are telling the truth. It's only a $500 phone. Yes I know what goes on in some forums. This is a good community. If some posters wants to tell a fib it's their loss ultimately.
    I wasn't born yesterday. I was born Thursday. Do you believe that?
    Sorry, thought I was replying to a different comment. Dunno how that happened

Sent from my iPhone 5c
    09-14-2014 11:00 AM
    Sorry, thought I was replying to a different comment. Dunno how that happened

Sent from my iPhone 5c
    Cool. Sorry too.
    Paul Ellis1 likes this.
    09-14-2014 11:04 AM
    Yes, I've got the GS2, Note 1 and Note 2 and they are all used daily. The Note 1 is laggy, however that only happened when I upgraded to Jellybean (big mistake) .I Intend to get the Note 4 sometime in November - Thats if T-Mobile/EE UK have it by then.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-14-2014 11:12 AM
    I wasn't worrying if a new purchase will last me two years, more wondering if many will keep theirs that long anymore.
    Yes, I think people will keep their phones over two years now since upgrades on new models are starting to be very incremental. As for me, I am still using purchased 2 year old GS3. I installed a custom ROM, CM 11 based on Kit Kat 4.4.4, so old phones can be modernized on the software end. As far as durability is concerned, The phone has been a tank really. regrettably I have never used a case. Screen is cracked, however, all hardware including sensors work well.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-14-2014 11:47 AM
    Who has had a recent generation smartphone (2010/2011+) in heavy use for 2 years without hardware issues?

Will anyone buying before this Christmas NOT change again before Christmas 2015?

I imagine very few. Current format touch screen devices *must be* limited in lifespan, and new design philosophies will change our wants long term anyway.

Ergonomics and modular phones will make inroads.

The days of 4+ year old phones are long gone.

So 2 questions really:

Does current hardware, specifically digitizers and screens, last?

Have current smartphones reached a peak, and we will all want something different in the very near future?

**edited.
    I don't think it's the hardware. Phones line S2, S3, Note 2 are still very good if we take care of it properly. People tend to change phone annually because manufacturers make them annually. Some people thinks that "*current using s2* ow i need to change my phone because the s3 has been released so i can brag about it even though my s2 is not broken".

For me i'm currently using Samsung Galaxy S4 bought it from the day it was released. No issues what so ever.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-14-2014 12:11 PM
    Just upgraded from an S3. The hardware was like new. The software is another story. I figure My Z Ultra GPE won't have the software problems my S3 was having at the end.

Posted via the Android Central App
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-14-2014 12:15 PM
    It destroys the nexus 4 in specs and benchmarks and its LG Nexus 4 Not galaxy nexus 4.
    I don't use my N4 for benchmarking, I use it in the real world. With a quad core cpu and 2gb ram, it's still very quick and does everything well. You can take your iphone 6 and toss it in the garbage.
    stridr69 likes this.
    09-14-2014 12:25 PM
90 1234