Note 4 Is a 2 year old phone realistic now?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Who has had a recent generation smartphone (2010/2011+) in heavy use for 2 years without hardware issues?

Will anyone buying before this Christmas NOT change again before Christmas 2015?

I imagine very few. Current format touch screen devices *must be* limited in lifespan, and new design philosophies will change our wants long term anyway.

Ergonomics and modular phones will make inroads.

The days of 4+ year old phones are long gone.

So 2 questions really:

Does current hardware, specifically digitizers and screens, last?

Have current smartphones reached a peak, and we will all want something different in the very near future?

**edited.
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is a 2 year old phone realistic now?

The way my Note 3 has been running I would say I could squeeze another year out of it .. It has been running pretty well ... No crazy issues.

But ...

I don't keep them for 2 years ever ... I get to tempted to upgrade ^_^.

ohbreeeezy

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

Note 1 here stock 4.1.2, been using it for 2 and half year. It's still a beast (lol)

Grovzy1080

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I was rushed into getting the S3. My HTC Evo wouldnt charge anymore and didnt make it the 20 months I needed for upgrade. However my S3 is different. I WANT a Note 4. I dont need it. Now I may have been a bit careless with my S3 once or ten times, but it still works fine. The screen is cracked, it will only charge with one of my chargers now. But it works. The question is what to do with it. You know once Samsung decides to stop dragging us along by our balls and release the Note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

It just comes down to personal choice, what you are willing to live with and are you willing to not get that shiny new phone. I am positive a Note 4 with its specs will be solid for 2 years but I also know I will be looking at the Note 5 or potentially something else depending on what comes along. If apple would actually design their phones to have swappable batteries they could entice me to stay, but in true fashion 3 months into the 5S I already sold it to get the Note 4, I just got so bored with a boring phone that is locked down and no fun to use.

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

Well, the iPhone 6 has the same specs as the Galaxy Nexus 4 (2012), and plenty of people will buy that phone, so, yeah, maybe.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Well, the iPhone 6 has the same specs as the Galaxy Nexus 4 (2012), and plenty of people will buy that phone, so, yeah, maybe.

Which is pathetic and says a lot about how Apple's subliminal messaging affects their followers

Posted via Android Central App

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Most of the carriers have some type of early upgrade program that allows you to update after 12 months. Unless you buy one outright, take advantage of these programs. The tech is advancing so quickly that most phones are behind the times in about 6-8 months anyway.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Buy phone---->keep for ___ months ----> something new comes along -----> sell current phone ----> buy new phone ----> repeat. The life of a technology addict. Throw a couple of tablets/smart watches/laptops in there too. :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Most of the carriers have some type of early upgrade program that allows you to update after 12 months. Unless you buy one outright, take advantage of these programs. The tech is advancing so quickly that most phones are behind the times in about 6-8 months anyway.
I think you are right. For the next few years anyway.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

My mum has been using her iPhone 4 since 2010 lol She just won't stop using it until it blows up. The home button no longer works but she still uses it.

Posted from my S5

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I have used my phone pretty heavily. As you know, I have used 5 terabytes of data before... My phone has run at high load for hours on end, and it is still fine. I don't see why it wouldn't last another year. Even with multiple drops and being thrown many times. I obviously wouldn't recommend it, but my note 3 has endured.

Two years ago, the note 2 was released. Since then, I would consider the note 3 and Note 4 to be incremental increases. The Note II still runs fine today. Sure,it might not be as fast and it doesn't have some features that newer devices have, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Also, I don't know what services your carrier provides, but Verizon offers extended warranty, which will replace the device for any warranty issues indefinitely, so long as you are on the program.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I wasn't worrying if a new purchase will last me two years, more wondering if many will keep theirs that long anymore.
I agree the Note 2 is still a great phone, and if I had got that instead of my puny GS2 in 2012, I would hopefully still have it now. But I think that's rare, and technology and people's expectations have changed a lot.
That Verizon have good no quibble support demonstrates more that they are not expecting phones to last. Maybe 2 year contracts will become unviable for carriers as well if they start having to replace so many. They would all have to encourage customers to upgrade early as many are doing.

We can all read so many posts where phones have failed within 12 - 16 months or less.

I would still buy outright, partly because I don't trust the major carriers here in the UK.

@dpham00 your phone is serving you exceedingly well I know. But maybe it is now more a streaming device and the screen and digitizer get less than regular use. Just a guess. Do you use your other phone/s for everyday use?

@Shanghaichica your mum may have a few more years in that iPhone 4, although I would guess switching to a newer iPhone and IOS is easier than swapping Android phones.

To repeat my story, before 2012 I had the same Sony Ericsson phone since 2004 (resistive touch screen with stylus!). Though like street sweeper Trigger's 22 year old broom in the UK comedy series, I had replaced the Broom Handle and Head many times.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

My Note 2 works just fine; I could keep using it another year or more I think. But I'll probably get a Note 4 soon for Sprint's tri-band LTE, the better screen, and a few other improvements. The Note 4 doesn't have all I would want, but I'm realizing that in another two years I'll probably want a new phone anyway (VoLTE, etc.), so I'm not going to wait for a perfect phone. I don't want to upgrade more often than two years, though.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I had palm pre for about two years since June 2009.

Had pre 2 for a year

Bought htc one X in august of 2012

Switched to note 3 since Oct 2013.

So yeah, have been on a one year rotation since 2011.

But, I intend to keep my note 3 for at least one more year, if not 2 to 4 more years.

I keep skins on front and back, take care battery, avoid using physical buttons. I think the phone would be in good shape for a few more years.

@T-Mobile GN3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I had palm pre for about two years since June 2009.

Had pre 2 for a year

Bought htc one X in august of 2012

Switched to note 3 since Oct 2013.

So yeah, have been on a one year rotation since 2011.

But, I intend to keep my note 3 for at least one more year, if not 2 to 4 more years.

I keep skins on front and back, take care battery, avoid using physical buttons. I think the phone would be in good shape for a few more years.

@T-Mobile GN3

So you may be heading for a longevity test on this one.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site

My brother had been using the note 2 since it was released and he plans to use it another 1-2 years. He doesn't feel the need to upgrade every year. I think after I get the note 4 I may hold onto it for 2 years. I really like the metal band design.

Posted via Android Central App

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I wasn't worrying if a new purchase will last me two years, more wondering if many will keep theirs that long anymore.
I agree the Note 2 is still a great phone, and if I had got that instead of my puny GS2 in 2012, I would hopefully still have it now. But I think that's rare, and technology and people's expectations have changed a lot.
That Verizon have good no quibble support demonstrates more that they are not expecting phones to last. Maybe 2 year contracts will become unviable for carriers as well if they start having to replace so many. They would all have to encourage customers to upgrade early as many are doing.

We can all read so many posts where phones have failed within 12 - 16 months or less.

I would still buy outright, partly because I don't trust the major carriers here in the UK.

@dpham00 your phone is serving you exceedingly well I know. But maybe it is now more a streaming device and the screen and digitizer get less than regular use. Just a guess. Do you use your other phone/s for everyday use?

@Shanghaichica your mum may have a few more years in that iPhone 4, although I would guess switching to a newer iPhone and IOS is easier than swapping Android phones.

To repeat my story, before 2012 I had the same Sony Ericsson phone since 2004 (resistive touch screen with stylus!). Though like street sweeper Trigger's 22 year old broom in the UK comedy series, I had replaced the Broom Handle and Head many times.

I agree. I tried to get her to upgrade to the iPhone 5 two years ago but she got the Samsung galaxy S3 because she saw me with my original galaxy note and said she liked it. In the two years she's barely used her S3. Now she's seen my note 3 she keeps talking about getting that when her upgrade is due in a few months. However I'm not convinced that she will use it and will try and persuade her to get the iPhone 6.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

It destroys the nexus 4 in specs and benchmarks and its LG Nexus 4 Not galaxy nexus 4.