09-26-2014 01:50 AM
90 ... 234
tools
    I don't think the current touchscreen input only format, single un-upgradeable body is going to last very long, or Android for that matter.
    Another 2 or 3 model cycles maybe, and I would be happy with that.

I don't think the percentage of unfailing phones is high enough either, though yes of course we only hear the bad stories here.

Some may think I don't like depending on devices whose sole input method relies on a sheet of glass sensing my finger. That would be correct.
    Maybe I should be put out to pasture.
    09-20-2014 08:29 AM
    I don't think the current touchscreen input only format, single un-upgradeable body is going to last very long, or Android for that matter.

I don't think the percentage of unfailing phones is high enough either, though yes of course we only hear the bad stories here.

Some may think I don't like depending on devices whose sole input method relies on a sheet of glass sensing my finger. That would be correct.
    I... have no idea where your getting this stuff from...

-Touch screens are here to stay.. At Least for a long long time .... Voice control, and or gesture inputs are making way but its still mostly touch and will stay that way for quite a while.

-The un-upgradable body is here to stay as well. Atleast for the majority. Till they make one that is of similar size and construction as current devices its a no go..

-How can you think Android is not gonna last?

-Please inform us of your statistics on failing devices...
    - also what do you consider a failing device?

-I think you need a blackberry. Because keyboards and directional buttons are pretty much done for and not coming back..

---- Next time please give some reasoning to your speculations... It really sounds like your just making things up on the spot.
    09-20-2014 06:12 PM
    I... have no idea where your getting this stuff from...

-Touch screens are here to stay.. At Least for a long long time .... Voice control, and or gesture inputs are making way but its still mostly touch and will stay that way for quite a while.

-The un-upgradable body is here to stay as well. Atleast for the majority. Till they make one that is of similar size and construction as current devices its a no go..

-How can you think Android is not gonna last?

-Please inform us of your statistics on failing devices...
    - also what do you consider a failing device?

-I think you need a blackberry. Because keyboards and directional buttons are pretty much done for and not coming back..

---- Next time please give some reasoning to your speculations... It really sounds like your just making things up on the spot.
    Read my first words : I don't think .... (yes you could joke about that the other way!)

What statistics did I quote?

This is a friendly debate about the future of phones.

I do like more input options, like keyboards. Finger to glass only? Forever?
    I personally don't think so. Remember touch typing. People never needed to look at the keys.
    Partially sighted people will have to announce to everyone what they are writing using voice to text.
    Lose screen control and you can lose everything.
    It's just a fad. It's an ergonomic nightmare, but we're stuck with it for a while until the cycle changes. Read through the last few months of Ask a Question. Not everyone wants to use Google+ and save to the cloud. Which is someone else's servers.

I'm not making things up on the spot. I am 55 and have seen different technologies. Phones are not my favourite technology, but we have to embrace them now.
    We don't all have to like the way the big oems are stuck with one format. It's all marketing, and it will eventually change.
    Having a single input that can and does fail is putting all your eggs in one basket. Nobody conducted years of research and decided these devices were the best solution. They just evolved in one happenstance direction because of digitisers. My previous phones were resistive screen Sony-Ericsson's at 3 inches I think.
    Anyway this was only part of my original question.
    09-20-2014 06:40 PM

Well thank god what you think is no where near reality.

Can I get an Amen?

FYI you can use a keyboard and mouse on any phone so the touch screen in not the only input method.
    09-20-2014 06:46 PM
    Well thank god what you think is no where near reality.

Can I get an Amen?

FYI you can use a keyboard and mouse on any phone so the touch screen in not the only input method.
    I'm sorry you feel threatened by one persons dream of future technology, but need religious support to convince yourself.
    I finally realised why people walk to work with heavy coats, backpacks or bulging extended pockets. They need keyboards and mice, of course!
    09-20-2014 07:11 PM
    I'm sorry you feel threatened by one persons dream of future technology, but need religious support to convince yourself.
    I finally realised why people walk to work with heavy coats, backpacks or bulging extended pockets. They need keyboards and mice, of course!
    I don't feel threatened at all actually find you very amusing. You have very narrow views of what is likely just that slice of your reality as you guess about the unknown and then post them like facts with a "I think" attached.

Back in the 90s I was one of those weird fellows with abunch of tech strapped in random places plus head gear. I was building UMPCs back then also trying to dream of future tech.
    09-20-2014 07:18 PM
    Oh Dear God!
    09-20-2014 07:27 PM
    Our usual carrier contract here is 2 years. Mine is due soon. Will upgrade to Note 4.. Hooray! :-)

It's very common nowadays folks here are carrying two phones from two different carriers. Same goes to me. Upon the first contract expiry/renewal, I'll get the Note 4.

Then on my subsequent renewal (also in 2015), I'll get the iPhone 6+. The best of both worlds! :-)

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-20-2014 07:38 PM
    If I may take a slightly different point---Win 8.1 is built around the hoped-for integration of touch and other things. Having a touchscreen on a desktop or a laptop with Win 8.1 makes the OS finally sing. (So THAT's what they were thinking!) You can choose which input you want, when and why. I will never buy anything without a touchscreen again. Sometimes the mouse is better, sometimes not. Sometimes the keyboard is better, sometimes not.

As just a quick practical example, yesterday I was navigating a frame within a page while surfing and needed to drag the mouse cursor all the way across the screen and get it to the exact right, tiny scroll bar. Then, I'd have to drag the right portion without letting go or keep clicking until I got where I was going. Or, I could drag the cursor to the other end of the screen from where it was and I could click within a frame and use the page down button, hoping the place I clicked didn't open up a link. Old school. I started to do it with the mouse, then remembered "oh, wait. I have a touchscreen." And just reached out and flicked the portion of the screen that I wanted to move. This is s-o-o-o cooool. Nothing was going to be faster or easier than that. OTOH, entering a complicated password with a touchscreen rather than a keyboard is really annoying and slow.

Of course, the vast majority still do not have touchscreens for laptops or desktops. So, for them, too, there is only one common and convenient way of entering data--with a peripheral, namely, a keyboard. Your keyboard doesn't work, you're done.

Wouldn't it be awesome if that Win 8 "have it your way" for input choice was available for phones? I agree in theory, but I can't see how that happens, for the simplest of reasons: they are supposed to be portable. I may go on a 3 week vacation with a keyboard, but I'm sure NOT carrying one around in daily use. Not to mention--even if I did, what would I do with it? There's wayyyy too much delay attaching it every time you want to do something. I'm not going to turn a 3 second, scribbled Evernote note into "upack the keyboard, make sure bluetooth is on, find some place to sit down, attach keyboard, now, finally, type!" No one's gonna do that.

So, with phones, it has evolved to (a) touchscreen; (b) stylus, for some like Note 4; (c) voice. Those are your realistic input choices. All of those things have gotten consistently better since they first appeared. I'm amazed at what I can do with voice these days. That sure wasn't true when it first showed up. I don't expect anything different to occur than refinement of those three. It just doesn't seem feasible, and for me the current threesome is working well.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-21-2014 06:54 AM
    Read my first words : I don't think .... (yes you could joke about that the other way!)

What statistics did I quote?

This is a friendly debate about the future of phones.

I do like more input options, like keyboards. Finger to glass only? Forever?
    I personally don't think so. Remember touch typing. People never needed to look at the keys.
    Partially sighted people will have to announce to everyone what they are writing using voice to text.
    Lose screen control and you can lose everything.
    It's just a fad. It's an ergonomic nightmare, but we're stuck with it for a while until the cycle changes. Read through the last few months of Ask a Question. Not everyone wants to use Google+ and save to the cloud. Which is someone else's servers.

I'm not making things up on the spot. I am 55 and have seen different technologies. Phones are not my favourite technology, but we have to embrace them now.
    We don't all have to like the way the big oems are stuck with one format. It's all marketing, and it will eventually change.
    Having a single input that can and does fail is putting all your eggs in one basket. Nobody conducted years of research and decided these devices were the best solution. They just evolved in one happenstance direction because of digitisers. My previous phones were resistive screen Sony-Ericsson's at 3 inches I think.
    Anyway this was only part of my original question.

-If your gonna mention a high fail rate in devices then you need statistics to back up your claims...

-It is a friendly debate but your just throwing things out there with no real reasoning.

-More input option are interesting but they dont fit on a phone. Not without shrinking down the size of the screen greatly. Much like blackberry.
    -If you break your screen completely you will always lose everything. Doesnt matter what your input method is. That being said from what i have seen and experience a broken screen still functions. Even so.. if your physical keyboard fails your still screwed. No difference there.
    -Its not so much a fad. This is how devices have evolved. Because this is what the mass majority wanted. Ergonomics are typically considered when designing a device so tell me whats wrong with the current set of products. And before you say they are too big... Well consider that sometimes ergonomics will have to take a back seat to key features that make the phone most appealing.. Such as a giant screen.

- I think your running into the game pretty late and throwing up a bunch of opinions that dont really make much sense. You keep saying things like the current coarse is wrong and faddish.. that the whole smartphone design language is gonna change immensely into something completely new. Thatss.... not gonna happen. Not in a way that will please you any. I see wearables taking big steps.. Possibly taking over. The smartphone will remain a large touch screen device or disappear all together. Either way.. your not likely to see a physical keyboard again.
    09-22-2014 11:06 AM
    I want my laser keyboard damnit. They are out there, but I want one that shoots out of the phone when I have it on my desk stand. Mini mini PC yeah. Of course I would rather have a padphone type device with that laser keyboard. That way I am not typing on my laser keyboard onto a 6" screen. Or I want the other option of being able to project the keyboard out of the phone on one and, and a display projection onto a wall from the other end. Where is that at? Sure, the projector bulb would have to be super powerful to even make it 5 feet to a wall, and would likely melt the phone into a puddle of precious silicone and plastic, but it would be sweet for the 5 minutes it worked.

Voice control is not viable in my opinion. Too many uncontrollable factors to screw it up. Gestures is dumb as well since I am holding the phone. Why wave my hand over it in an exact motion to open an app, when its just as easy to tap the icon? We have a long long way to go before anything but touch is the main input method.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-25-2014 02:23 PM
    I'm still using my note two, which I bought when it was released. Still working very reasonably well. Very rooted , never flashed.. giving it up for the note 4

By the way, this is the first time I've ever held on to a phone..I used to update every 8 months or so starting with the original Droid, droid 2, charge, razor, note and some in between those that I already forget
    09-25-2014 09:29 PM
    Some people think there car is done after 100k miles because its not starting well in the morning and stalls from time to time. When really all they need to do is buy a new battery and tighten their cables. Same goes for phones, get a new battery after 1 year pull the back of clean the ports make sure the cabkes are tight and possibly do a reset just to clear all the accumulated junk. Afterwards most people will usually find their device running like new.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-25-2014 09:56 PM
    I have a note 2, it's over 2 years old and no problems...still speedy, rarely lags...preordered note 4 as my upgrade...experienced lg G3 and returned it due to lag and overheating...then went back to my trusty note 2 until note 4 ships to my doorstep
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-25-2014 11:59 PM
    This might be my first two year phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-26-2014 01:50 AM
90 ... 234