09-26-2014 02:50 AM
90 123 ...
tools
    Who has had a recent generation smartphone (2010/2011+) in heavy use for 2 years without hardware issues?

Will anyone buying before this Christmas NOT change again before Christmas 2015?

I imagine very few. Current format touch screen devices *must be* limited in lifespan, and new design philosophies will change our wants long term anyway.

Ergonomics and modular phones will make inroads.

The days of 4+ year old phones are long gone.

So 2 questions really:

Does current hardware, specifically digitizers and screens, last?

Have current smartphones reached a peak, and we will all want something different in the very near future?

**edited.
    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    09-12-2014 05:59 PM
    It just comes down to personal choice, what you are willing to live with and are you willing to not get that shiny new phone. I am positive a Note 4 with its specs will be solid for 2 years but I also know I will be looking at the Note 5 or potentially something else depending on what comes along. If apple would actually design their phones to have swappable batteries they could entice me to stay, but in true fashion 3 months into the 5S I already sold it to get the Note 4, I just got so bored with a boring phone that is locked down and no fun to use.
    The way my Note 3 has been running I would say I could squeeze another year out of it .. It has been running pretty well ... No crazy issues.

But ...

I don't keep them for 2 years ever ... I get to tempted to upgrade ^_^.
    09-12-2014 06:06 PM
    Note 1 here stock 4.1.2, been using it for 2 and half year. It's still a beast (lol)
    09-12-2014 06:20 PM
    I was rushed into getting the S3. My HTC Evo wouldnt charge anymore and didnt make it the 20 months I needed for upgrade. However my S3 is different. I WANT a Note 4. I dont need it. Now I may have been a bit careless with my S3 once or ten times, but it still works fine. The screen is cracked, it will only charge with one of my chargers now. But it works. The question is what to do with it. You know once Samsung decides to stop dragging us along by our balls and release the Note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-12-2014 06:22 PM
    It just comes down to personal choice, what you are willing to live with and are you willing to not get that shiny new phone. I am positive a Note 4 with its specs will be solid for 2 years but I also know I will be looking at the Note 5 or potentially something else depending on what comes along. If apple would actually design their phones to have swappable batteries they could entice me to stay, but in true fashion 3 months into the 5S I already sold it to get the Note 4, I just got so bored with a boring phone that is locked down and no fun to use.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-12-2014 06:44 PM
    Well, the iPhone 6 has the same specs as the Galaxy Nexus 4 (2012), and plenty of people will buy that phone, so, yeah, maybe.
    09-12-2014 07:12 PM
    Well, the iPhone 6 has the same specs as the Galaxy Nexus 4 (2012), and plenty of people will buy that phone, so, yeah, maybe.
    Good one.
    Dankees likes this.
    09-12-2014 07:40 PM
    Which is pathetic and says a lot about how Apple's subliminal messaging affects their followers

Posted via Android Central App
    anon8380037 and Dankees like this.
    09-12-2014 07:48 PM
    Most of the carriers have some type of early upgrade program that allows you to update after 12 months. Unless you buy one outright, take advantage of these programs. The tech is advancing so quickly that most phones are behind the times in about 6-8 months anyway.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-12-2014 07:59 PM
    Buy phone---->keep for ___ months ----> something new comes along -----> sell current phone ----> buy new phone ----> repeat. The life of a technology addict. Throw a couple of tablets/smart watches/laptops in there too.
    09-12-2014 08:08 PM
    Most of the carriers have some type of early upgrade program that allows you to update after 12 months. Unless you buy one outright, take advantage of these programs. The tech is advancing so quickly that most phones are behind the times in about 6-8 months anyway.
    I think you are right. For the next few years anyway.
    09-12-2014 08:13 PM
    My mum has been using her iPhone 4 since 2010 lol She just won't stop using it until it blows up. The home button no longer works but she still uses it.

Posted from my S5
    09-13-2014 09:39 AM
    I have used my phone pretty heavily. As you know, I have used 5 terabytes of data before... My phone has run at high load for hours on end, and it is still fine. I don't see why it wouldn't last another year. Even with multiple drops and being thrown many times. I obviously wouldn't recommend it, but my note 3 has endured.

Two years ago, the note 2 was released. Since then, I would consider the note 3 and Note 4 to be incremental increases. The Note II still runs fine today. Sure,it might not be as fast and it doesn't have some features that newer devices have, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Also, I don't know what services your carrier provides, but Verizon offers extended warranty, which will replace the device for any warranty issues indefinitely, so long as you are on the program.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    09-13-2014 09:47 AM
    I wasn't worrying if a new purchase will last me two years, more wondering if many will keep theirs that long anymore.
    I agree the Note 2 is still a great phone, and if I had got that instead of my puny GS2 in 2012, I would hopefully still have it now. But I think that's rare, and technology and people's expectations have changed a lot.
    That Verizon have good no quibble support demonstrates more that they are not expecting phones to last. Maybe 2 year contracts will become unviable for carriers as well if they start having to replace so many. They would all have to encourage customers to upgrade early as many are doing.

We can all read so many posts where phones have failed within 12 - 16 months or less.

I would still buy outright, partly because I don't trust the major carriers here in the UK.

@dpham00 your phone is serving you exceedingly well I know. But maybe it is now more a streaming device and the screen and digitizer get less than regular use. Just a guess. Do you use your other phone/s for everyday use?

@Shanghaichica your mum may have a few more years in that iPhone 4, although I would guess switching to a newer iPhone and IOS is easier than swapping Android phones.

To repeat my story, before 2012 I had the same Sony Ericsson phone since 2004 (resistive touch screen with stylus!). Though like street sweeper Trigger's 22 year old broom in the UK comedy series, I had replaced the Broom Handle and Head many times.

09-13-2014 10:48 AM
    My Note 2 works just fine; I could keep using it another year or more I think. But I'll probably get a Note 4 soon for Sprint's tri-band LTE, the better screen, and a few other improvements. The Note 4 doesn't have all I would want, but I'm realizing that in another two years I'll probably want a new phone anyway (VoLTE, etc.), so I'm not going to wait for a perfect phone. I don't want to upgrade more often than two years, though.
    JasW and anon8380037 like this.
    09-13-2014 12:25 PM
    I had palm pre for about two years since June 2009.

Had pre 2 for a year

Bought htc one X in august of 2012

Switched to note 3 since Oct 2013.

So yeah, have been on a one year rotation since 2011.

But, I intend to keep my note 3 for at least one more year, if not 2 to 4 more years.

I keep skins on front and back, take care battery, avoid using physical buttons. I think the phone would be in good shape for a few more years.

@T-Mobile GN3
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-13-2014 12:29 PM
    I had palm pre for about two years since June 2009.

Had pre 2 for a year

Bought htc one X in august of 2012

Switched to note 3 since Oct 2013.

So yeah, have been on a one year rotation since 2011.

But, I intend to keep my note 3 for at least one more year, if not 2 to 4 more years.

I keep skins on front and back, take care battery, avoid using physical buttons. I think the phone would be in good shape for a few more years.

@T-Mobile GN3
    So you may be heading for a longevity test on this one.

09-13-2014 12:50 PM
    My brother had been using the note 2 since it was released and he plans to use it another 1-2 years. He doesn't feel the need to upgrade every year. I think after I get the note 4 I may hold onto it for 2 years. I really like the metal band design.

Posted via Android Central App
    anon8380037, TheOtherBill and JasW like this.
    09-13-2014 01:31 PM
    I wasn't worrying if a new purchase will last me two years, more wondering if many will keep theirs that long anymore.
    I agree the Note 2 is still a great phone, and if I had got that instead of my puny GS2 in 2012, I would hopefully still have it now. But I think that's rare, and technology and people's expectations have changed a lot.
    That Verizon have good no quibble support demonstrates more that they are not expecting phones to last. Maybe 2 year contracts will become unviable for carriers as well if they start having to replace so many. They would all have to encourage customers to upgrade early as many are doing.

We can all read so many posts where phones have failed within 12 - 16 months or less.

I would still buy outright, partly because I don't trust the major carriers here in the UK.

@dpham00 your phone is serving you exceedingly well I know. But maybe it is now more a streaming device and the screen and digitizer get less than regular use. Just a guess. Do you use your other phone/s for everyday use?

@Shanghaichica your mum may have a few more years in that iPhone 4, although I would guess switching to a newer iPhone and IOS is easier than swapping Android phones.

To repeat my story, before 2012 I had the same Sony Ericsson phone since 2004 (resistive touch screen with stylus!). Though like street sweeper Trigger's 22 year old broom in the UK comedy series, I had replaced the Broom Handle and Head many times.

I agree. I tried to get her to upgrade to the iPhone 5 two years ago but she got the Samsung galaxy S3 because she saw me with my original galaxy note and said she liked it. In the two years she's barely used her S3. Now she's seen my note 3 she keeps talking about getting that when her upgrade is due in a few months. However I'm not convinced that she will use it and will try and persuade her to get the iPhone 6.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-13-2014 02:01 PM
    It destroys the nexus 4 in specs and benchmarks and its LG Nexus 4 Not galaxy nexus 4.
    09-13-2014 04:00 PM
    Note 1 here stock 4.1.2, been using it for 2 and half year. It's still a beast (lol)
    Get it rooted and get 4.4.4 it will be much better then
    09-13-2014 04:01 PM
    Get it rooted and get 4.4.4 it will be much better then
    it is rooted and I'll just wait for note 4 lol
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-13-2014 04:31 PM
    it is rooted and I'll just wait for note 4 lol
    install a 4.4.4 rom then trust me you will love it
    09-13-2014 04:32 PM
    install a 4.4.4 rom then trust me you will love it
    We get it, you still love rooting slashyou, now please leave it there in this thread - Thanks.

---------------

@ohbreeezy
    I had a GS2 until recently, still on 4.1.2 and the OS had nothing really missing compared to 4.3 and 4.4 on my Note 3, so I would also keep an original Note on the last OS version destined for it.
    Glad it's running well, and no app issues as yet.

09-13-2014 04:51 PM
    We get it, you still love rooting slashyou, now please leave it there in this thread - Thanks.

---------------

I had a GS2 until recently, still on 4.1.2 and the OS had nothing really missing compared to 4.3 and 4.4 on my Note 3, so I would also keep an original Note on the last OS version destined for it.
    Glad it's running well, and no app issues as yet.

I bet you android without root is more boring then ios 3.1.3 LOL just root and enjoy
    09-13-2014 04:53 PM
90 123 ...