0 to 50 in 30

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I think this is one of the best features of the new Note 4; being able to charge from 0% to 50% in 30 min (or as they said in the keynote "30 ish"). I don't know about you but I'm constantly on my phone doing something and I use a lot of screen time (4 to 6 hours/day). So, to me, this is a great feature.

But, has any one seen/read if this fast charging feature only works with the standard Samsung battery? I wonder if it will work with extended batteries?

I don't expect that a 7,000 to 10,000 mAh battery to charge to 50% in 30 min but what I do hope is that the fast charging is just a phone feature and does not require the standard phone battery. That way the extended batteries will also charge more quickly that expected.

Where does the fast charging rank for you in terms of the Note 4 features? Near the top? #1?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If I recall correctly I believe it is a hardware piece on the phone and not the battery.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The quick charge is built into the chip in the phone. It won't charge other items any faster.

I will probably be getting extra batteries and an external charger. So I will just swap batteries and never plug the phone on like with my note 3.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The quick charge is built into the chip in the phone. It won't charge other items any faster.

I will probably be getting extra batteries and an external charger. So I will just swap batteries and never plug the phone on like with my note 3.

Yeah I was thinking of nabbing an extra battery as well :).

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The quick charging is part Qualcomm and part charger. Any snapdragon chip 800 and above has the ability to use quick charge 2.0 once the firmware is updated. However, as far as I know, you will need to purchase a new charger to take advantage of this. I was looking at this feature months ago and it looked like a Note 3 sized battery would be able to charge from zero to full in 45-50 minutes, not an hour. In that regard, I am a little disappointed. A little.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
From Qualcomm:

"In laboratory tests using a 3300mAh battery, a Quick Charge 2.0 enabled device went from 0% to 60% charge in 30 minutes."

Using the graphic below, a Note 3 should charge at a rate of approximately 1% per minute using quick charge 1.0 and the Note 4 at approximately 2% per minute for a total of 50 minutes for zero to 100 using quick charge 2.0.
I am not sure if there is some proprietary Samsung software at work as well or not.

9u8arunu.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk