This is my first android phone purchase so please forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject

So I'm switching away from iPhones, after so many years, to android (finally) and I want some advice as whether to purchase the note 4 from samsung directly vs verizon.

Is there a difference ?
    1. does one come unlocked vs the other ?

2. Will the snapdragon be different on either model ? Any spec perks ?

How can I get my hands on the exynos version?
    1. Is this soley locked out to the Korean market?

2. If I can will I have any issues running this with a us carrier assuming unlocked?

Thanks everyone!
    09-15-2014 09:30 PM
    This is my first android phone purchase so please forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject

So I'm switching away from iPhones, after so many years, to android (finally) and I want some advice as whether to purchase the note 4 from samsung directly vs verizon.

Is there a difference ?
    1. does one come unlocked vs the other ?

2. Will the snapdragon be different on either model ? Any spec perks ?

How can I get my hands on the exynos version?
    1. Is this soley locked out to the Korean market?

2. If I can will I have any issues running this with a us carrier assuming unlocked?

Thanks everyone!
    What carrier is this for? Verizon? If it is then you have to get a Verizon branded device. All current Verizon LTE phones are carrier unlocked.

To get an exynos version, you would probably have to get it imported. It will not work with Verizon. We would have to know the bands it had to know what carriers it will work on.
    peter1hauns likes this.
    09-15-2014 09:56 PM
    Thanks for the reply! Yes for verizon. So if I get it off samsung.com and sign up with Verizon would it be "verizon branded" or only if I purchase directly from verizon ?

Thanks again!
    09-15-2014 10:08 PM
    It seems goto a Verizon store would be the fastest.

Snapdragon is all we can get to be compatible with us's lte. I say it's good enough for next 3 to 4 years, if you will ever keep your phone that long.

@T-Mobile GN3
    peter1hauns likes this.
    09-16-2014 05:00 AM
    I think you should wait until the Android L operating system comes out & see what all the fuss is about the 64 bit issue.

Android L may be out in October.

If the N4 is not 64 bit compatible you could be stuck in a 2 year contract if you go the contract route.

Worse case by the time you purchase your N4 it will be cheaper after all the opening hype.

I got my N3 in January 4 months after its October release for $149 at Verizon.

Posted via Android Central App from my Rose Gold Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    peter1hauns likes this.
    09-16-2014 01:45 PM
    Wherever you buy it make sure it is the Verizon specific Version. I am not sure if Samsung will sell directly, but if they do then yes you can buy direct from Samsung. Unless it is the DE (if they make one) or other special model, it wouldn't be any different, hardware and software wise, compared to buying from Verizon or best buy or whatever. Regardless, I would suspect that it would use the 805. And it would most likely be factory sim unlocked. The Verizon specific Version will work on att and tmobile and gsm networks internationally, but might not support them fully.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
    peter1hauns likes this.
    09-16-2014 03:36 PM
    I will be buying mine from T-Mobile so I can have the WiFi calling feature if needed -- Also the download booster since T-Mobile doesn't disable it .
    peter1hauns likes this.
    09-16-2014 03:58 PM
    hmm this is a good point .. I might do that considering its coming out in October anyways. Do we know of any issues it has already on dev builds ?

Also I thought the WiFi calling feature was available on all carriers except sprint ?
    09-16-2014 08:10 PM
    I will be buying mine from T-Mobile so I can have the WiFi calling feature if needed -- Also the download booster since T-Mobile doesn't disable it .
    I'm going to ask a stupid question, but what is the point of wifi calling? Pretty much all plans out there now have unlimited talk so am I missing something?

Posted via Android Central App
    peter1hauns likes this.
    09-16-2014 09:39 PM
    I'm going to ask a stupid question, but what is the point of wifi calling? Pretty much all plans out there now have unlimited talk so am I missing something?

Posted via Android Central App
    International travel? That our you live in the boonies.
    peter1hauns likes this.
    09-16-2014 10:25 PM
    Thanks for the answers everyone. Does anyone have any info on why the note 4 might not function well with android L? Wouldn't samsung have anticipated this issue considering the current timeline ?
    09-16-2014 11:12 PM
    Thanks for the answers everyone. Does anyone have any info on why the note 4 might not function well with android L? Wouldn't samsung have anticipated this issue considering the current timeline ?
    No one at all is saying that there will be an issue with the Note 4 running L. The biggest issue is a "spec war" issue. Though the 810 processor will not be out for awhile it will eventually come and new phones (the X, Z3, Note 4, Nexus (if there is one)) will look a bit old.

The 32 vs 64 bit war is a bit silly. There is a difference, but it is not that huge.

OH and one other thing, why do you think that WiFi calling will not be available on Sprint. I have it on the Note 3 and some of the other phones laying around here
    peter1hauns likes this.
    09-17-2014 12:07 AM