Buy the Note 4 on T-Mobile to use for AT&T...

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Agreeeeeeed! That is exactly what I'm going to do (if my lack of patience doesn't get the best of me). I'm pretty EBay savvy and I just know somebody is going to sell their upgrade or something like that. Can't wait.

Posted via Android Central App

Same here. EBay or Amazon, who ever gets it first.

ArtVandelay

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
My main question is about bootloaders.

I have ATT, but they always lock their bootloaders, so AOSP ROMS are a no-go. Aren't most TMo phones bootloader-unlocked? This would be great since I'm pretty sure LTE would work fine when the phone is unlocked.

Thanks.

mmotleys

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
My main question is about bootloaders.

I have ATT, but they always lock their bootloaders, so AOSP ROMS are a no-go. Aren't most TMo phones bootloader-unlocked? This would be great since I'm pretty sure LTE would work fine when the phone is unlocked.

Thanks.

The T-Mobile phones work great on ATT..They use the same exact LTE bands..the benefit of getting the T-Mobile model is the unlocked boot loader...There will be much more developer support for this phone...ATT model will be thw same old crap ..locked boot loader..

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The T-Mobile phones work great on ATT..They use the same exact LTE bands..the benefit of getting the T-Mobile model is the unlocked boot loader...There will be much more developer support for this phone...ATT model will be thw same old crap ..locked boot loader..

Yea but you have to have T-Mobile service for so long before they unlock it. T-Mobile sucks where I live. It's fine I may or may not root lol.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

I have an account with T-Mobile and with AT&T and considered getting the T-Mobile version to use on at&t but if you follow how that went with the Note 3 it wasn't all roses. There was issues with LTE, disconnects and just overall it wasn't seamless.

Posted via the Android Central App

Matthew Morte

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
So my question is...lets say i buy a t mobile phone outright. now i sim unlock it to use on at&t...can i still get Kitkat updates via Att ota updates? If i root i can un root and then update...then re root as its Tmobile no locked boot loader, but how do i get updates OTA or otherwise? Thanks

Matthew Morte

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
as long as att doesn't get your Imei number you will connect with LTE...if they realize you are on a tmobile imei number they will restict your speed for some reason...work around is to provide an approved att lte phone imei number it will not effect your service or the service of the phone used...it will only allow lte speeds.

bdubb427

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Reesh11,

What did you end up doing? I was also considering buying the T-mobile phone and using it on my AT&T carrier due to the price difference. I have actually never done this before. Though I'm reading issues about different frequencies between carriers amongst other things (AT&T updates, rooting, etc.)?

bdubb427

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Reesh11,

What did you end up doing? I was also considering buying the T-mobile phone and using it on my AT&T carrier due to the price difference. I have actually never done this before. Though I'm reading issues about different frequencies between carriers amongst other things (AT&T updates, rooting, etc.)?

ArtVandelay

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
So here's my update:

I pulled the trigger on a TMo Note 4 off-contract, used cellunlocker.net to unlock the SIM (worked great and in minutes), region unlocked it beforehand, and I was off. Everything worked great, including LTE.

After a week or so, I noticed it was only on HSPA+, so I checked my APN settings, reflashed my ROM, but to no avail. So I checked with ATT multiple times to ensure the IMEI was right and my plan was right. Their system says that my IMEI is registered as a blackberry, which is why I can't get LTE. I checked on swappa.com and with TMo, and both said the device is a Note 4.

I'm really at a loss. To double check, I put my SIM back in my Nexus 5, and it also only gets HSPA+, so it must be on ATT's side as far as I can see. Anyone else have any experience with this?

The phone works fine, but I'd really like LTE back.

Matthew Morte

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
You need to get an imei number for any lte att phone and provide that number to their customer service rep. You will then have lte speeds....some people have gone to the att store found a note 4 or 3 or whatever imei off of a display model and provided that number to the rep...once their system has that number it will give u lte speeds. Let me know if this doesn't work

Matthew Morte

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to share my experience and information about what it took to get an unlocked international phone onto GoPhone with LTE. I got the IMEI registered at the store and everything, but couldn't get LTE working. I called CS and received stock answers, so knowing my Razr HD (its bands, hardware, etc), I forced them to escalate me to Tech Support and received an AWESOME guy named Josh. I explained to him what was going on and he didn't treat me like I was dumb, but explained that I was correct and something was wrong on their end.

Apparently, all accounts default to HSPA+ or GSM if they can't recognize the IMEI as an LTE device. Thankfully, I had my mom's Atrix HD and gave him that IMEI and was able to have my account registered as an LTE account, but my device still wasn't connecting. Apparently, my international device isn't in their database. He had to re-register it on his end and have everything re-authenticated. I had to step outside to get signal to the tower again, but once it registered, BAM! I had LTE. Signal was great inside.

So, word of caution to this bringing a non-AT&T branded device: you need an AT&T LTE device IMEI in order to have your account provisioned for it (according to tech support). I spent about 2 hours on the phone between CS and Tech Support to get it resolved, but working now. Apparently they do not have a default "bogus" IMEI for international devices. No issues getting LTE with T-Mobile, so not sure what kind of system AT&T uses. I just drop to Edge if I lose LTE with them, so sticking to GoPhone for now.

Hope this post helps others as I couldn't find anything on the net to help me with it.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Reesh11,

I just bought one on AT&T.

From my smokin' hot Note 4

ArtVandelay

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Update!

So I went in to the AT&T store yet again and explained what was going on. He checked my plan and manually changed my device showing on my profile to a Note 4.

At first it didn't work, but I swapped batteries later that night, and turning off the phone must have triggered something because I have LTE again. However, I'm only getting 5-7mbps down. I used to get 20-50+. Not sure if that's because it's a TMo phone or what.

mocsab

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I dont know if my answer is too late or not - DO NOT flash ATT MODEM on TMOBILE PHONE or vice versa - it will brick.

Couple of other things:

I own a TMOBILE PHONE and use ATT Service. LTE Speeds are great.

Any udpates to the phone have to made manually - but you can go to Sammobile.com and dowload the update when it is available and flash via ODIN - full instructions on how to do this are avarilable at sammobile.com

If you buy an ATT phone to use on TMOBILE you will not be able to run custom roms because the BOOTLOADER is locked and cannot be unlocked - if you buy a TMOBILE PHONE and use it on ATT you can run custom roms because the BOOTLOADER IS unlocked.

GOOD LUCK

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Wait, can't you buy a t-mobile Note 4, sim unlock it for around $30 and use it on H2O or Cricket wireless? Or am I wrong? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol