Buy the Note 4 on T-Mobile to use for AT&T...

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Since AT&T wants to charge extra for this phone (I'm buying outright) could I possibly buy it on T-Mobile and use on AT&T? Will all features work? Has anyone done this with other phones? I could also see what Best Buy prices are, but they are usually higher than the carrier. I could use the points though...

Posted via Android Central App

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Probably. I didn't look it up figured it'd be easier to ask the experts here in the forums :)

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Right out of the box, it most likely will not, unless it was unlocked.

However, both AT&T and T-Mobile operate on the same type of network, GSM. So if you put in a SIM card from a T-Mobile phone into an AT&T phone, then it will most likely ask for the Unlock code. You can get this from different places, however T-Mobile is known to give people the code so that you can use it.

Addition: Answer 2

The Unlock code is slightly different than actually having the phone unlocked. To have it unlocked is something regarding the software inside the phone, that can be altered by a computer. The unlock code is just to access Phone restrictions and security features. MOST phones are locked, and cannot be swapped on sim cards. So far the only phone i have successfully made work on both providers is the Apple iPhone, and that was a Jail broken one.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Right out of the box, it most likely will not, unless it was unlocked.

However, both AT&T and T-Mobile operate on the same type of network, GSM. So if you put in a SIM card from a T-Mobile phone into an AT&T phone, then it will most likely ask for the Unlock code. You can get this from different places, however T-Mobile is known to give people the code so that you can use it.

Addition: Answer 2

The Unlock code is slightly different than actually having the phone unlocked. To have it unlocked is something regarding the software inside the phone, that can be altered by a computer. The unlock code is just to access Phone restrictions and security features. MOST phones are locked, and cannot be swapped on sim cards. So far the only phone i have successfully made work on both providers is the Apple iPhone, and that was a Jail broken one.

Usually if the phone is paid off T-Mobile will gladly unlock it for you.

@OP - always check first to be sure.. I'd just call T-Mobile and ask.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Usually if the phone is paid off T-Mobile will gladly unlock it for you.

@OP - always check first to be sure.. I'd just call T-Mobile and ask.

That was my next step. I'm paying cash so I figure the unlocking won't be a problem. I just want to make sure all my data, pic messaging and everything else works. I will call AT&T also to verify. Multiple times.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
That was my next step. I'm paying cash so I figure the unlocking won't be a problem. I just want to make sure all my data, pic messaging and everything else works. I will call AT&T also to verify. Multiple times.

Please keep us updated on what they say.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
There are many things to consider here if you are not a T-Mobile customer. I take phones back and forth between both carriers with few problems. I can get a T-Mobile phone unlocked fairly easily because I have been a customer for a while.

The other thing for you to consider is that the Note 4 will cost you more than the $749 price that I have seen floated on the blogs because you don't have a service plan that costs at least $50/month.

The requirements for unlocking a T-Mobile phone are shown here: Unlock your mobile wireless device | T-Mobile Support

My recommendation would be to find a current T-Mobile customer that has a plan of at least $50/month and ask that person to buy the Note 4 for you.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Please keep us updated on what they say.

Apparently it will come unlocked as long as I buy outright. There's still the issue of the bands. Maybe I'll just have to try it out and return if it doesn't work. Maybe I should have asked which bands they used. She immediately tried to sell me service when I said I wanted to use for AT&T. T-Mobile doesn't work where I live tho....

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Apparently it will come unlocked as long as I buy outright. There's still the issue of the bands. Maybe I'll just have to try it out and return if it doesn't work. Maybe I should have asked which bands they used. She immediately tried to sell me service when I said I wanted to use for AT&T. T-Mobile doesn't work where I live tho....

Trust me, that phone will not be unlocked out of the box. T-Mobile only sells phones locked to T-Mobile (the Nexus devices are exceptions). The unlocking requirements were posted in my previous post.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Trust me, that phone will not be unlocked out of the box. T-Mobile only sells phones locked to T-Mobile (the Nexus devices are exceptions). The unlocking requirements were posted in my previous post.

It's a good thing I never trust reps. I'll probably just go to both stores tomorrow. Maybe they will price match. I don't see why AT&T is so much more! I will see what Best Buy has the price as. I hadn't planned on pre-ordering anyway since its not likely to sell out. Price could drop also.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
It's a good thing I never trust reps. I'll probably just go to both stores tomorrow. Maybe they will price match. I don't see why AT&T is so much more! I will see what Best Buy has the price as. I hadn't planned on pre-ordering anyway since its not likely to sell out. Price could drop also.

Yeah, I'm thinking that the price posted for AT&T may not be accurate. I've seen the prices change once the device is available for sale before on AT&T and $825 is too much for the Note 4, in my opinion.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm thinking that the price posted for AT&T may not be accurate. I've seen the prices change once the device is available for sale before on AT&T and $825 is too much for the Note 4, in my opinion.

Agreed. I was fully prepared mentally to pay ~750 but an extra $75?? For what? I will wait and see what launch day brings. Or Ebay :p

electrofryed

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Since AT&T wants to charge extra for this phone (I'm buying outright) could I possibly buy it on T-Mobile and use on AT&T? Will all features work? Has anyone done this with other phones? I could also see what Best Buy prices are, but they are usually higher than the carrier. I could use the points though...

Yes. I've done this with the GSII, GS3, GS4, and Note. All were tmo phones. However, I set them up for no contract AT&T services. (Go phone, straight talk, and NET10).

Super Nerdified 4.3 Note 3 n900a
X Note
Firenote v16
Alliance v6
bobcatroms awesome theme with my own personal touch.

electrofryed

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

There's apps available to unlock your phone as well. Usually you'll be charged 30 bucks for the unlock from the apps. Tmo usually does there phones for free.

Super Nerdified 4.3 Note 3 n900a
X Note
Firenote v16
Alliance v6
bobcatroms awesome theme with my own personal touch.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Your best bet would be to get the AT&T branded phone off ebay. The ebay price will be cheaper than buying it directly from AT&T, and you don't have to worry about unlocking it to get it to work on the their network. I plan to way a few weeks for the prices to come down before I buy the phone. My Note 3 is an AT&T branded phone, and I use straight talk and have access to AT&T LTE network.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is Samsung not selling an unlocked version?

The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 should come factory sim unlocked. You can order the device without service through the iconic portal linked to in my signature.

Of note, although it will work on tmobile and att, it might not contain all the bands or features of the other carrier specific models.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Your best bet would be to get the AT&T branded phone off ebay. The ebay price will be cheaper than buying it directly from AT&T, and you don't have to worry about unlocking it to get it to work on the their network. I plan to way a few weeks for the prices to come down before I buy the phone. My Note 3 is an AT&T branded phone, and I use straight talk and have access to AT&T LTE network.

Agreeeeeeed! That is exactly what I'm going to do (if my lack of patience doesn't get the best of me). I'm pretty EBay savvy and I just know somebody is going to sell their upgrade or something like that. Can't wait.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1