09-21-2014 09:58 AM
26 12
tools
    Aside from the price difference, the only differences I see between the standard Note 4 and the Note 4 Edge are: (from Galaxy Note 4 vs. Note Edge: 5 Things Buyers Need to Know )

1. Edge is smaller (5.6 inch vs 5.7 inch)
    2. Edge has smaller battery (3000 mah vs 3200 mah)
    3. Edge has a (somewhat) cool curved edge

I suspect the last option will make it difficult (if not impossible) to put a "screen saver" on the phone - especially a glass one.

Can anyone suggest why you'd want to get the Edge over the standard Note 4??
    09-19-2014 10:14 AM
    The big difference for me is "Note 4 works with Samsung Gear VR and Note Edge does NOT." That is a deal killer for me on the Edge, so I ordered the Note 4 this morning despite loving the idea of the Edge's side-viewable screen area.

For more detail see the Gear VR Specs where it says:

"Connection
    microUSB 1.1 connection to the Galaxy Note 4"

I'd love to be shown wrong on this, I'd go Edge if this were not the case, but the bloggers who were at the Samsung launches confirmed it with Samsung is what I heard....might have been on the AC Podcast...

Aside from the price difference, the only differences I see between the standard Note 4 and the Note 4 Edge are: (from Galaxy Note 4 vs. Note Edge: 5 Things Buyers Need to Know )

I suspect the last option will make it difficult (if not impossible) to put a "screen saver" on the phone - especially a glass one.

Note 4 has metal while edge doesn't.
    09-19-2014 10:22 AM
    So?
    09-19-2014 10:25 AM
    So?
    The op was posting the differences. I was mentioning another.
    Katrina White1 likes this.
    09-19-2014 10:26 AM
    Note Edge DOES have metal.

It has been reported in many reviews. It is painted metal that looks like plastic.
    09-19-2014 10:28 AM
    The op was posting the differences. I was mentioning another.
    That really isn't a difference.... Just nitpicking imo
    09-19-2014 10:28 AM
    Note Edge DOES have metal.

It has been reported in many reviews. It is painted metal that looks like plastic.
    Original hands on said no metal
    09-19-2014 10:29 AM
    That really isn't a difference.... Just nitpicking imo
    Maybe but could be a difference to those wanting a more premium look
    mrwallyy and Katrina White1 like this.
    09-19-2014 10:33 AM
    Maybe but could be a difference to those wanting a more premium look
    It doesn't change the note.... You either like it or don't... The metal isn't a selling point
    09-19-2014 10:33 AM
    I suspect it might be for the:

> 3. Edge has a (somewhat) cool curved edge
    09-19-2014 10:59 AM
    The big difference for me is "Note 4 works with Samsung Gear VR and Note Edge does NOT." That is a deal killer for me on the Edge, so I ordered the Note 4 this morning despite loving the idea of the Edge's side-viewable screen area.

"Connection

I'd love to be shown wrong on this, I'd go Edge if this were not the case, but the bloggers who were at the Samsung launches confirmed it with Samsung is what I heard....might have been on the AC Podcast...

09-19-2014 11:00 AM

"Connection

I guess I'm just confused why the Edge is more expensive than the standard version. It has fewer features, except for the "edge". What was Samsung thinking??
    09-19-2014 04:51 PM
    Note Edge's 5.6 screen maybe smaller, but it has an extra 160 pixel wide curve screen. So, it's 5.6" + 160 pixels.

I do not get why Samsung put a smaller battery in the Edge, considering it probably will use more juice due to the additional screen.

The fact that the Edge does not have metal is not confirmed. Some sites say it does.

I am on the fence to go 4 or Edge. I'd wait until I can play with the Edge to see how it works in real life. I don't have to play with Note 4, I know how that plays.
    09-19-2014 06:23 PM

I do not get why Samsung put a smaller battery in the Edge, considering it probably will use more juice due to the additional screen.
    That curved screen takes up more space. That space had to come from somewhere.
    09-19-2014 07:44 PM
    It doesn't change the note.... You either like it or don't... The metal isn't a selling point
    I actually have to disagree. Metal is a big selling point for me. I just don't care for plastic banding, ESPECIALLY plastic that is supposed to look like metal. Just feels chintzy.
    09-20-2014 03:50 AM
    Power button onto of note 4 not side and doesn't work with Gear VR r

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-20-2014 04:53 AM
    For me, the metal is a very minor point. I always have a small case on my phone, so, whatever the back and sides look like, they get hidden anyway.
    09-20-2014 07:25 AM
    the majority do not use their phones naked. if you don't use a back protector and a screen saver (film) one drop can ruin your phone.
    Yk Chin and monsieurms like this.
    09-20-2014 01:14 PM
    there is very little activity on the Note Edge forum. I wonder if people just don't take it so seriously. If they look at it as a gimmick. I still think it looks pretty cool.
    Yk Chin likes this.
    09-20-2014 02:02 PM
    No interest in edge for me. Note 4 all the way.

Posted via Android Central App
    felloffthetruck likes this.
    09-20-2014 02:18 PM
    Next year will be the big improvement when they get the 64 Bit CPU.
    Yk Chin likes this.
    09-20-2014 11:09 PM
    I'm waiting for Edge.
    09-21-2014 12:19 AM
    I guess I'm just confused why the Edge is more expensive than the standard version. It has fewer features, except for the "edge". What was Samsung thinking??
    Well, as someone pointed out, "except for the 'edge'" is the point. I haven't quite decided as yet if the Edge is a gimmick or a really interesting productivity tool. But for those who want it, it is a deal-maker. The rest of the stats are similar and close enough.

At this point, inclined to say I'll wait and see what Edge 2 looks like, how people report using the Edge, etc; I'm more likely to go with the regular Note 4 just now
    09-21-2014 08:20 AM
    One strange spec that I saw (Compare Mobiles - Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Specs, Battery & more) indicated that the browser on the "Edge" supports "Flash", but the browser on the Note 4 doesn't. I suspect it's a typo, as I can't imagine that Flash will be supported natively on one and not the other.
    09-21-2014 08:27 AM
    One strange spec that I saw (Compare Mobiles - Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Specs, Battery & more) indicated that the browser on the "Edge" supports "Flash", but the browser on the Note 4 doesn't. I suspect it's a typo, as I can't imagine that Flash will be supported natively on one and not the other.
    It isn't.. Unless they put android 4.0 ice cream sandwich onto the edge lol
    09-21-2014 09:26 AM
26 12