Note 3 issues fixed with Note 4?

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
From my (limited) research, it would seem the main complaint reviewers had with the Galaxy Note 3 was in fact, TouchWiz.

Has Samsung fixed it since then? Or will this be a recurring issue even with the Note 4?

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Well they have changed touch wiz on the S5 to a more refined version. So that is the version that will be on the note 4 (maybe even more refined). However I've never personally had an issue with touch wiz so I'm not a good judge. Perhaps you can watch some reviews of the S5 to see what the new version of touch wiz is like.

Posted from my S5

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Well they have changed touch wiz on the S5 to a more refined version. So that is the version that will be on the note 4 (maybe even more refined). However I've never personally had an issue with touch wiz so I'm not a good judge. Perhaps you can watch some reviews of the S5 to see what the new version of touch wiz is like.

Posted from my S5

I've done just that, and it seems like there have been quite a few improvements indeed.

Direct quote from Gizmodo: "For starters, Samsung's proprietary UI (aka TouchWiz) has, as promised, been scaled back a good deal. What was a cluttered mess last year is no longer as cluttered or messy. It actually looks way better. Samsung cast off a lot of the vestigial feature-phone looks, and as a result, it looks more like a modern Android phone."

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
To be clear, Nova LAUNCHER is not a ROM, it's a Launcher. I always run Nova on my phones- S4 now, S3 before, Droid Bionic before.....

What is Note-specific in TouchWiz that we might lose the benefit of by not running TouchWiz?

(Again NOT talking about a ROM or Root or mods, rather about an (the) alternative Launcher)

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
The Note series would be next to worthless without TouchWiz, as many people who have loaded non-TouchWiz ROMs have found out the hard way. .

True, no rom has supported the Note 3 well, especially when it comes to the s-pen

TouchWiz is by it's very definition not an issue to be fixed.
I think touchwiz has just caught a bad rap. It has become popular to bash it for no real reason at all. Having said that, there is room for refinement. Naming conventions are not Samsung's strong suite either as it's proved with names like "Tizen".

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Am I missing something here? TouchWiz, I believe, is A LAUNCHER....it's not a ROM. Have not all mainstream launchers worked on Note 3 all along....APEX, NovaLauncher, Action Launcher, GO Launcher etc...?

It's a Launcher that fixes shortcomings in TouchWiz, not a ROM right? A ROM, whether Cyanogen Mod or otherwise, fixes/modifies/improves NON-Launcher issues around the basic kernel and "BIOS" of the device.

I just don;t see how ROMs are germane to a discussion of Launchers like TouchWiz....or are they??

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the Note 4 is getting the S5 Touchwiz according to other threads, and it didn't look like it from what I saw. Maybe it doesn't fit in to the Note 'philosophy'.

I have used a Moto G a lot recently, and there are so many basic things that TW does and are taken for granted, you only miss them when you move out of Samsung for the first time.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My question is how they're going to integrate L into touchwiz? Their are quite a few changes that'll have to be made.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have used a Moto G a lot recently, and there are so many basic things that TW does and are taken for granted, you only miss them when you move out of Samsung for the first time.

What are these things? I've had touch wiz for so long in one of these guys that takes it for granted.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
What are these things? I've had touch wiz for so long in one of these guys that takes it for granted.

When you scroll across your app drawer for example it continues in to the widgets screens. To get to the 1st apps screen you have to scroll back all the other way. The TW menu is more logical and comprehensive.

Don't understand your post unless a joke, but yes there are other phones out there without Touchwiz.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing something here? TouchWiz, I believe, is A LAUNCHER....it's not a ROM. Have not all mainstream launchers worked on Note 3 all along....APEX, NovaLauncher, Action Launcher, GO Launcher etc...?

It's a Launcher that fixes shortcomings in TouchWiz, not a ROM right? A ROM, whether Cyanogen Mod or otherwise, fixes/modifies/improves NON-Launcher issues around the basic kernel and "BIOS" of the device.

I just don;t see how ROMs are germane to a discussion of Launchers like TouchWiz....or are they??

Here's an older, but still relevant thread below on the topic. I recall seeing a good AC editorial/guide all about root/ROMs and the benefits/tradeoffs for each (will post if I find it).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...es-between-launchers-rooting-custom-roms.html

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
For me I'm hoping for better low light out of the box camera performance and better camera performance in general. That followed by better screen response. I don't know how many times I've touched an icon on the screen only to have the screen think I was swiping left or right.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
To be clear, Nova LAUNCHER is not a ROM, it's a Launcher. I always run Nova on my phones- S4 now, S3 before, Droid Bionic before.....

What is Note-specific in TouchWiz that we might lose the benefit of by not running TouchWiz?

(Again NOT talking about a ROM or Root or mods, rather about an (the) alternative Launcher)

You definitely are missing something. TouchWiz is not just a launcher. It is involved in everything that occurs in the phone. TouchWiz includes a launcher of course by virtue of the above. Nova is a Launcher and not does replace TouchWiz - it only replaces the home launcher that is part of TouchWiz. You are still running TouchWiz on your phone when you have Nova installed.

TouchWiz is what gives you S-Pen functionality and all Note-specific functionality. It also is responsible for basically functions of the phone, like having a working camera. It is involved in every aspect of your phone and the launcher is just a small part of it.There are countless ways it affects every aspect of your phone and your experience of it.

So, no, TouchWiz is not just a launcher, can not be replaced by a launcher, does require a new ROM to be flashed in order not to use it, and is inappropriate by its very nature to refer to it as an issue to be fixed.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
No and I never thought they would but touchwiz will need to change to accommodate certain things

You could well be right. I won't look in to Android L until it's here. If it doesn't work for older style Touchwiz phones like my Note 3 I am jumping ship to Windows or something Nexus.
I hope L comes out before I may buy a Note 4 in December or January, but it probably won't on Samsungs.