Is there currently any way to purchase an unlocked & bootloader unlocked US Note 4 off contract (preferably something that will work on the AT&T network)? I can only find info on unlocked international versions.
    09-21-2014 07:18 PM
    Your best best is probably a Tmobile version. Although it hasn't been confirmed that it is definitely bootloader unlocked since no one has one yet, it's expected to be based on the Note 3 and Tmobile's history in general. You can then get it sim unlocked afterwards. Tmobile bands have also not been confirmed but it is rumored (I stress the word rumored) that it will have the same bands as ATT. We should know that part shortly, but the bootloader will require someone to actually have one in their hands to find out for sure.

Otherwise, you need to go with the international version. You need to check if you will get 4G or 3G only and check to see which frequencies/bands it doesn't have that ATT uses in your area.
    09-21-2014 07:39 PM
    I found this. According to this, the international one will not get LTE in the USA on att or T-Mobile.
    http://www.gsmnation.com/operator/co...ty/calculator/

Posted via Android Central App
    09-21-2014 08:13 PM
    Screen shot from site.

Attached Thumbnails Note 4 Buying Bootloader Unlocked-20211.jpg  
    09-21-2014 08:13 PM
    Your best best is probably a Tmobile version. Although it hasn't been confirmed that it is definitely bootloader unlocked since no one has one yet, it's expected to be based on the Note 3 and Tmobile's history in general. You can then get it sim unlocked afterwards. Tmobile bands have also not been confirmed but it is rumored (I stress the word rumored) that it will have the same bands as ATT. We should know that part shortly, but the bootloader will require someone to actually have one in their hands to find out for sure.

Otherwise, you need to go with the international version. You need to check if you will get 4G or 3G only and check to see which frequencies/bands it doesn't have that ATT uses in your area.
    If we're basing it on the Note 3, then yes, the bootloader will most likely be unlocked. Unfortunately, between the Note 3 and S5 there's been a change. Even the T-Mobile S5 is bootloader locked, so I don't have much hope that the Note 4 will be unlocked now either.

I'm on AT&T but always buy T-Mobile phones and SIM unlock them (specifically because they have an unlocked bootloader most of the time). I can tell you if the Note 4 doesn't have an unlocked bootloader, I won't be buying it. I won't stand for carriers telling OEMs what they can and can't do to their phones. The only way to change this is to vote with your wallet.
    09-22-2014 03:38 PM
    If we're basing it on the Note 3, then yes, the bootloader will most likely be unlocked. Unfortunately, between the Note 3 and S5 there's been a change. Even the T-Mobile S5 is bootloader locked, so I don't have much hope that the Note 4 will be unlocked now either.

I'm on AT&T but always buy T-Mobile phones and SIM unlock them (specifically because they have an unlocked bootloader most of the time). I can tell you if the Note 4 doesn't have an unlocked bootloader, I won't be buying it. I won't stand for carriers telling OEMs what they can and can't do to their phones. The only way to change this is to vote with your wallet.
    You've got some wrong information there. The Tmobile Galaxy S5 bootloader is unlocked.
    KentuckyHouse likes this.
    09-22-2014 04:21 PM
    You've got some wrong information there. The Tmobile Galaxy S5 bootloader is unlocked.
    I stand happily corrected! Thank you. I could've sworn I saw it was locked, but I'm happy to be wrong.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Developer Edition
    09-22-2014 04:25 PM
    Does T-Mobile allow you to buy phones without an account with them?
    09-22-2014 06:50 PM
    Does T-Mobile allow you to buy phones without an account with them?
    Yes, you just won't be able to buy it online because you can only do that with prepaid phones and they never offer the newest Note as a prepaid option online. Call them or go to a store. They will try to sell you service of course but either tell them you already bought a prepaid SIM or that you are buying it as a gift.
    09-22-2014 07:14 PM
    Or that it doesn't work in your area. I wanted to buy a T-Mo phone and use for AT&T but I want sure about the bands etc. I would use them if it worked where I live.

09-22-2014 07:32 PM
    Or that it doesn't work in your area. I wanted to buy a T-Mo phone and use for AT&T but I want sure about the bands etc. I would use them if it worked where I live.

Both at&t and t-mobile use LTE band 4 at 1700MHz, however at&t also uses bands 2 & 17 in some spots. You should find out what's used in your area before getting a t-mobile note 4.
    09-23-2014 05:38 PM
    Both at&t and t-mobile use LTE band 4 at 1700MHz, however at&t also uses bands 2 & 17 in some spots. You should find out what's used in your area before getting a t-mobile note 4.
    Great how do I do that?

09-23-2014 06:45 PM
    Great how do I do that?

Well, it doesn't even matter until the official TMO Note 4 specs are released. It could have the same bands as the ATT version, in which case it wouldn't matter. If the bands turn out to be different. then you should be able to get the info from ATT and confirm it with a google search specific to where you live (or vice versa).
    reesh11 likes this.
    09-23-2014 07:02 PM
    With the update on the bands for the T-Mobile Note, is this possible, or no?

And how does everyone get the T-Mobile phones they buy from the stores unlocked?
    09-25-2014 12:33 PM
    Att primary lte is b17.b2,4,and 5 is used in limited locations. TMobile Note 4 supports all these bands and more though is sim locked so would have to get it unlocked for use on att

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    09-25-2014 02:28 PM
    Att primary lte is b17.b2,4,and 5 is used in limited locations. TMobile Note 4 supports all these bands and more though is sim locked so would have to get it unlocked for use on att

Didn't know at&t also used 5. Where did you see the specs for the t-mo note 4, and at&t too if you have that.
    09-25-2014 09:26 PM
    Didn't know at&t also used 5. Where did you see the specs for the t-mo note 4, and at&t too if you have that.
    From the fcc filing.

09-26-2014 08:00 AM
    You rock! Thanks
    09-26-2014 10:04 AM