Note 4 - Samsung $200 trade in promotion

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: samsung $200 trade in promotion

I hear all this talk about buying cheap phones on ebay to meet the promo.....has anyone gotten away with that lately? One would think there would be some restriction--like evidence the phone you trade in was actually in use with some carrier, or something?

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I hear all this talk about buying cheap phones on ebay to meet the promo.....has anyone gotten away with that lately? One would think there would be some restriction--like evidence the phone you trade in was actually in use with some carrier, or something?

I don't think Samsung cares about that. I see this promo as Samsung's way of trying to stop people from jumping to the iPhone 6+

Posted via the Android Central App

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I don't think Samsung cares about that. I see this promo as Samsung's way of trying to stop people from jumping to the iPhone 6+

+1 yup...I'm thinking Samsung felt obligated to do the promo in response to the iphone trade-in offer from all carriers.

Jun Watanabe

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

+1 yup...I'm thinking Samsung felt obligated to do the promo in response to the iphone trade-in offer from all carriers.

Yes, I think Sammy thought iP6+ is a legitimate threat to their Note line of phones.

Does anyone have an idea of the definition of "smartphone" that Sammy uses? I'm thinking of trading in a flip phone that can surf the web in a pinch, and is fetching $21 in trade-in at T-mo... Do you think that is "smart" enough? I don't want to lose out $200 on a technicality.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Just talked to a manager at Best Buy. She said the gift card does NOT apply to buying outright...bummer.

Posted via Android Central App

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Just talked to a manager at Best Buy. She said the gift card does NOT apply to buying outright...bummer.

I am not sure I believe that manager and bet they gave that answer based on past bestbuy promos as most bestbuy promos make you buy the phone on contract to qualify as bestbuy makes money on the contract that makes up for their promos. This promo is a Samsung promo and they will be reimbursing bestbuy so I bet the manager said that because they make no money on mo contract sales. We should all hit up Samsung's twitter asking them to,clarify this as it is currently a mess.

KrinkBusta

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

check topcashback dot com. they had a $35 cashback on 3 phones from virgin mobile. 2 of them were worth nothing on trade-ins, but kyocera kona was worth about $21 on t-mo trade-in (sprint value is $20). the kona was on sale for $15.99. i will make ~$19 on top of the $200 from samsung. that is if t-mo will take my pre-order...

i should say that i was going to pickup an s2 on CL for about $40 to take a little loss...

Ok, first post... Trying to figure all of this out - please advise best route to go...

I currently have sprint with an evo 4g LTE that I purchased from BB and I am due for an upgrade with Sprint. I guess the upgrade is irrelevant as I plan on dropping Sprint for AT&T - no point it getting one of these nice high speed new phones and not getting the true performance out of them due to Sprints crappy service. I will be joining a family plan which is why I'm choosing AT&T over other carriers. I will be buying from BB bc the BB protection plan is by far the best thing that ever happened to me with regards to owning a cell phone, I break them like no other and I've used the BB PP MULTIPLE TIMES.

Question 1). I currently have the BB protection plan, so I was thinking about going in and doing a swap on this heavily used evo 4g and getting a new/refurbished one to keep as a back up in the event that my note4 goes down (versus using the BB loaner phones which usually are very outdated and a PIÑA to use)... Would the back-up Sprint Evo even work with my new AT&T service? If not then I guess no point in trying to upgrade to a better shape evo 4g LTE, just trade it in on the note4 and have no backup phone?...

Question 2). Regarding the post quoted above from another thread... This is the link to the deal (forum would not let me post link as I am a new member), it says the SIM card must be activated to get the cash back so I'm assuming you'd need to activate a phone with virgin mobile? If so I would assume this is more of a hassle and just trade in my Evo for the note and be done with it...

Question 3). One other possible option I see is doing the BB PP and getting a newly refurbished Evo 4g LTE, buying some crap phone off eBay to use as my trade in for the Note and then taking the newly refurbished Evo 4G LTE and listing it for sale on eBay to get some extra cash... Not sure if it would be worth more than buying a cheap trade in phone etc...

Any thoughts? I'll probably just trade in my current phone for the note when I walk into BB and be done with it lol...

Thanks!
KB

Jun Watanabe

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

i just got off chat with t-mo. bad news for me. they do NOT do trade-ins for prepaid customers. he wasn't aware of the samsung promo, but if that is t-mo's position on trade-ins, i'm screwed. anyone know an answer?

i agree with droid747, this trade-in is a mess. i'm going to take a stab at this... the trade-in itself is not run by Samsung, they're only providing the difference to make it $200. i have a feeling that we are at the mercy of the trade-on rules for whatever place we are trying to purchase it. for e.g. as reesh11 was told, i was told also by BB sales folks that trade-ins are NOT accepted for outright purchases... only for renewed or new contracts. with that logic, because we can't trade in our phones, we can't get $200.

i'll say it again... this is a mess.

one "rule" that the updated promo page states that is different from the old one, is that the trande-in receipt and the preorder receipt doesn't have to be on the same sheet. the old "image" version of the page had that "rule."

furiousyellow

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

That's too bad, It would have been nice to double-dip, but at least you can still get the Samsung rebate while saving $26.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

That's too bad, It would have been nice to double-dip, but at least you can still get the Samsung rebate while saving $26.

Well in all reality I was not going to do the trade in anyway. I have an HTC One that I was going to sell in eBay. I was going to cheat a little and buy a cheap smartphone and get the profit if they were automatically going to give me $200. It's not worth the wait for Samsung to me.

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Except if bestbuy will not honor the rebate don't expect to get it from Samsung. Their offer says purchasing from bestbuy does not qualify for the rebate. The reason they did this is samsung agreed to refund bestbuy so bestbuy can front the rebate at purchase. I am guessing this was done due to bestbuy having Samsung experience center's in their stores and they put that clause on the online page so people could not double dip on the rebate.

sidthekid28

Banned
Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I think I would rather wait 6-8 weeks for a check from samsung that i can actually turn into cash (or even if it is a visa gift card at least i can spend it just like cash anywhere in the world), rather then being stuck with a 200 dollar best buy gift card after i get my note 4... i dont see how this bb gift card could be applied to the new phone when you are paying for the bulk of it up front when you pre order it right now...

also heres a question... step 5 of the instructions for the samsung 200 promo is:

5. Enter your device’s HEX MEID or IMEI number and Wi-Fi MAC address.

I was unclear if this meant this info from the device you are trading in OR from your new Note 4 so I contacted samsung tech support and they told me that it IS THE INFO FROM THE OLD PHONE YOU TRADED IN. So just a heads up, make sure to write these numbers down BEFORE trading your phone in!!!

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think I would rather wait 6-8 weeks for a check from samsung that i can actually turn into cash (or even if it is a visa gift card at least i can spend it just like cash anywhere in the world), rather then being stuck with a 200 dollar best buy gift card after i get my note 4... i dont see how this bb gift card could be applied to the new phone when you are paying for the bulk of it up front when you pre order it right now...

also heres a question... step 5 of the instructions for the samsung 200 promo is:

I was unclear if this meant this info from the device you are trading in OR from your new Note 4 so I contacted samsung tech support and they told me that it IS THE INFO FROM THE OLD PHONE YOU TRADED IN. So just a heads up, make sure to write these numbers down BEFORE trading your phone in!!!

The gift card at bestbuy will be applied to the phone purchase so you should not be left with a gift card. Also, the phone info should be for the note 4 because they want proof of purchase. You are suppose to submit the phone info and a copy of the PREORDER receipt and trade in receipt. It does not ask for the receipt of the actual purchase so they need the phone info to sort of prove you purchased the phone.

sidthekid28

Banned
Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

also if anyone is wondering about which stores qualify for the promotion through samsung here is a helpful chat log for you...

Visitor: Can i also have a list of qualifying trade-in locations on top of the qualifying retailers?
Visitor: If you can give me both of those lists I literally won't need anything else and I will be done bothering you...
Pattin: Thank you for your time and patience.
Pattin: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and U.S. Cellular will carry the Galaxy Note 4. Samsung Experience Shops in Best Buy, as well as Amazon, Costco, RadioShack, Sam’s Club, Target, Walmart will also carry the Galaxy Note 4. Carriers and retailers will confirm specific pricing, availability, pre-orders and specs.
Visitor: so i can preorder AND trade in at any of those stores you listed and ill be elgible?
Pattin: Yes.

Hope it helps... personally I think I am going to sell my old phone to best buy for a 10$ or 20$ BB gift card and then preorder my note 4 from one of these other locations and then get the $180 check from samsung... only way to ensure actually getting 180$ off the purchase price of the phone... (yes i have to pay for the phone up front but once i put the 180$ from the check back into my bank account it is just as good as saving 180 on the phone) better then a 200$ BB gift card AFTER the fact...

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm skeptical about this. First of all, the full language of step 5 is:

Enter your device’s HEX MEID or IMEI number and Wi-Fi MAC address.
(Applications > Settings > General > About Device > Status)​

The part in parentheses is instructions for an Android phone (the Note 4), and I'm guessing it is probably inapplicable to phones with a different OS.

Second, I bet the reason why they want this entered off your new Note 4 is to make sure that they are not sending out multiple upgrade payments on the same Note 4 purchase. This is their way to check that it indeed is a valid MEID number for a new Note 4, and that it hasn't previously been submitted for the $200 trade-in guarantee offer.

I'm sure that when the submission form goes live, they will make it more clear. To be safe it probably is best to keep this info from your old trade-in phone, but I will be shocked if step 5 does not require you to enter the MEID # from your new Note 4.

sidthekid28

Banned
Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

also if anyone is wondering about which stores qualify for the promotion through samsung here is a helpful chat log for you...

Visitor: Can i also have a list of qualifying trade-in locations on top of the qualifying retailers?
Visitor: If you can give me both of those lists I literally won't need anything else and I will be done bothering you...
Pattin: Thank you for your time and patience.
Pattin: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and U.S. Cellular will carry the Galaxy Note 4. Samsung Experience Shops in Best Buy, as well as Amazon, Costco, RadioShack, Sam’s Club, Target, Walmart will also carry the Galaxy Note 4. Carriers and retailers will confirm specific pricing, availability, pre-orders and specs.
Visitor: so i can preorder AND trade in at any of those stores you listed and ill be elgible?
Pattin: Yes.

Hope it helps... personally I think I am going to sell my old phone to best buy for a 10$ or 20$ BB gift card and then preorder my note 4 from one of these other locations and then get the $180 check from samsung... only way to ensure actually getting 180$ off the purchase price of the phone... (yes i have to pay for the phone up front but once i put the 180$ from the check back into my bank account it is just as good as saving 180 on the phone) better then a 200$ BB gift card AFTER the fact...

sidthekid28

Banned
Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

samsung tech support said to enter this info from YOUR OLD PHONE...

and it makes sense... think about it... if they start taking submissions on 10/10/14 for this deal, and the note 4 does not even come out until 10/17/14, then how on earth could you enter this information from your new note 4??? It has to be from your old device like samsung tech support said... if not, then they wouldnt be able to take submissions until 10/17 at the very earliest... not arguing at all btw, really just wanna get as much accurate info as possible on this whole deal...

KrinkBusta

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

This is a test post, tried to make a post earlier but it didn't show up in the thread?...

Odd.... I have a bit of a lengthy post to submit but it will not let me post... I tried to edit it into the previous post but that didn't work either... Any mods in here to check out the issue? New member - thanks.