Note 4 - Samsung $200 trade in promotion

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: samsung $200 trade in promotion

The gift card at bestbuy will be applied to the phone purchase so you should not be left with a gift card. Also, the phone info should be for the note 4 because they want proof of purchase. You are suppose to submit the phone info and a copy of the PREORDER receipt and trade in receipt. It does not ask for the receipt of the actual purchase so they need the phone info to sort of prove you purchased the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

I'm guessing that would mean you have to pre order in store then, because it's not possible online to trade in. This isn't an option for me anyway as I want to use PayPal.

Posted via Android Central App

sidthekid28

Banned
Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm skeptical about this. First of all, the full language of step 5 is:

Enter your device’s HEX MEID or IMEI number and Wi-Fi MAC address.
(Applications > Settings > General > About Device > Status)​

The part in parentheses is instructions for an Android phone (the Note 4), and I'm guessing it is probably inapplicable to phones with a different OS.

Second, I bet the reason why they want this entered off your new Note 4 is to make sure that they are not sending out multiple upgrade payments on the same Note 4 purchase. This is their way to check that it indeed is a valid MEID number for a new Note 4, and that it hasn't previously been submitted for the $200 trade-in guarantee offer.

I'm sure that when the submission form goes live, they will make it more clear. To be safe it probably is best to keep this info from your old trade-in phone, but I will be shocked if step 5 does not require you to enter the MEID # from your new Note 4.

You actually make a good point with the instructions thing... you may be right... now i am really puzzled... how do they start taking submissions on 10/10/14 if i cant get the phone (and hence my new MEID#) until 10/17/14... this **** couldnt be more confusing guys!

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

samsung tech support said to enter this info from YOUR OLD PHONE...

and it makes sense... think about it... if they start taking submissions on 10/10/14 for this deal, and the note 4 does not even come out until 10/17/14, then how on earth could you enter this information from your new note 4??? It has to be from your old device like samsung tech support said... if not, then they wouldnt be able to take submissions until 10/17 at the very earliest... not arguing at all btw, really just wanna get as much accurate info as possible on this whole deal...

The phone comes out that early in other countries so maybe it is for them?? This whole business is confusing.

sidthekid28

Banned
Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm guessing that would mean you have to pre order in store then, because it's not possible online to trade in. This isn't an option for me anyway as I want to use PayPal.

Also if the BB gift card will be applied to my note 4 purchase then that means I have to trade my phone in in-store on the same day I preorder correct? Cause I saw other people saying they were not trading in their current phone until the day they go and pick up their note 4... so confusing... are you 100% saying that if I go to best buy in store tomorrow and trade in my current phone for at least 10 dollars that they will immediately put 200 bucks towards my note 4 pre order purchase?

Jun Watanabe

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm skeptical about this. First of all, the full language of step 5 is:

Enter your device’s HEX MEID or IMEI number and Wi-Fi MAC address.
(Applications > Settings > General > About Device > Status)​

The part in parentheses is instructions for an Android phone (the Note 4), and I'm guessing it is probably inapplicable to phones with a different OS.

Second, I bet the reason why they want this entered off your new Note 4 is to make sure that they are not sending out multiple upgrade payments on the same Note 4 purchase. This is their way to check that it indeed is a valid MEID number for a new Note 4, and that it hasn't previously been submitted for the $200 trade-in guarantee offer.

I'm sure that when the submission form goes live, they will make it more clear. To be safe it probably is best to keep this info from your old trade-in phone, but I will be shocked if step 5 does not require you to enter the MEID # from your new Note 4.

I tend to agree with the interpretation that the IMEI & mac address is from the old phone that got traded in. First, if you don't have the Note 4 on hand, you can't fill it out. If that were the case, they're only giving us less than 6 weeks to submit it IF you were able to get the phone on the 17th (submit by 11/30). Second, they want a smartphone to be traded in. How can they ensure that? Well, I almost opened the kyocera kona that I bought from virgin mobile for 15.99 because it had a trade-in value of $21. It has no wifi antenna, so no mac address. I guess smartphone will have to have wifi.

This is doing my head in.

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

samsung tech support said to enter this info from YOUR OLD PHONE...

and it makes sense... think about it... if they start taking submissions on 10/10/14 for this deal, and the note 4 does not even come out until 10/17/14, then how on earth could you enter this information from your new note 4??? It has to be from your old device like samsung tech support said... if not, then they wouldnt be able to take submissions until 10/17 at the very earliest... not arguing at all btw, really just wanna get as much accurate info as possible on this whole deal...

I am pretty sure Samsung tech support is wrong, because If it is for the trade in form then they have no proof you followed through with the purchase of the phone you preordered. They require a,copy of the trade in receipt for your trade in so I bet they input the trade in transactionnumber in their database to track trade ins. If you think about Samsung's response to you, it make no sense and what me and others have replied makes much more sense.

sidthekid28

Banned
Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I do not see how the BB gift card will be applied to the purchase of the phone... so ur saying 100% that if I go IN STORE next week and trade in my old phone AND pre order my note 4 that they will take 200$ off my pre order right then and there? so confused... i just dont trust them to pay for the phone up front and then count on them to give me 200 back when the phone comes in...

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I tend to agree with the interpretation that the IMEI & mac address is from the old phone that got traded in. First, if you don't have the Note 4 on hand, you can't fill it out. If that were the case, they're only giving us less than 6 weeks to submit it IF you were able to get the phone on the 17th (submit by 11/30). Second, they want a smartphone to be traded in. How can they ensure that? Well, I almost opened the kyocera kona that I bought from virgin mobile for 15.99 because it had a trade-in value of $21. It has no wifi antenna, so no mac address. I guess smartphone will have to have wifi.

Step 2 in the Samsung process is "Trade in any working smartphone at a participating retailer." Step 6 says you have to upload your trade-in receipt. I've never done a trade-in before, but I assume you don't turn over your trade-in to the retailer until the time that you buy the new phone, right? And that's when you get the trade-in receipt, right? So you would necessarily have the Note 4 in hand when you have the trade-in receipt for your old phone.

Jun Watanabe

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

just got off of samsung tech support, and he was very fluent on the particulars of the promotion, which was refreshing. but he said the IMEI & MAC addresses are from the OLD phone. what i was told that the proof that the phone was actually sold comes from the vendor themselves...

in regards to brentj's question above... i don't know when then trade-in has to happen. i don't know if you can preorder (get receipt), trande-in at the time of pickup (get receipt), and then submit. from my simple interpretation, get ready to lose your phone the day you preorder and go without that phone for a month or so. but again, i would like to hear the interpretation from someone who might have more info.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

If true, good for people to know in advance. If it's really for the old device and Samsung doesn't make that clear in advance, I'll bet people who didn't save that info are going to be very pi$$ed off if they can't get the Samsung guarantee payment.

Another reason to just get it all done at once at Best Buy and not have to mess with the Samsung submission, IMO.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I just called local store...said that you go in, pay the $50 down payment. Then when the phone comes in the gift card would apply towards purchase for the remaining amount. HOWEVER, he said that you do NOT automatically get $200, you get the trade in value for the phone. Smh. I don't know who to believe and I don't want to deal with Best Buy at this point but have no choice. Calling customer service next...

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

If true, good for people to know in advance. If it's really for the old device and Samsung doesn't make that clear in advance, I'll bet people who didn't save that info are going to be very pi$$ed off if they can't get the Samsung guarantee payment.

Another reason to just get it all done at once at Best Buy and not have to mess with the Samsung submission, IMO.
I bet all the info like imei# of your old phone will be on the trade-in receipt along with the value of your trade-in.

Jun Watanabe

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

I bet all the info like imei# of your old phone will be on the trade-in receipt along with the value of your trade-in.

imei, maybe, but i doubt the wifi MAC address...

i, for one, have gotten a headache thinking about this... BB fine print on the in-store $200:

"Valid 9/19/14-10/16/14. Order online or in store varies by carrier. Valid on purchase of Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on AT&T, Sprint or Verizon. Taxes/surcharges due at time of purchase. Taxes applied to price of phone prior to the gift card credit. Not all phones are eligible for trade-in and trade-in value may vary. Excludes phones that are cracked, water-damaged or that lack power. Not available in all locations and some stores may have additional limitations. Not compatible with other trade-in offers. No rainchecks. See BestBuy.com/TradeIn for full details.
*Online pre-orders must choose "Store Pickup" to qualify for trade-in offer."

The particular sentence, "Taxes applied to price of phone prior to the gift card credit" makes it sound like the $200 gift card will be applied to the purchase of the phone. *sigh*

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Customer service told me the same thing that it's UP TO $200 and not an automatic $200...which makes no sense cuz why would they limit it when the Note 3 goes for $250?? Idiots, idiots everywhere.

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Yep and if they did not ask for the imei number and other stuff for the note 4 and asked for the trade in info instead then they would have no proof you actually purchased the note 4. All the require for receipts is the PREORDER receipt and trade in receipt. So if,you have to input the imei of the,old phone there is no record of the phone you purchase. If you would think about it it really makes a lot of sense. I am betting the Samsung peopleyou have been talking to don't know much on this promo. Samsung hired prizelogic to administer it because I got a response from prizelogic when I did the contact them link on the promo website.

Last edited:

Jun Watanabe

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Yep and if they did not ask for the imei number and other stuff for the note 4 and asked for the trade in info instead then they would have no proof you actually purchased the note 4. All the require for receipts is the PREORDER receipt and trade in receipt. So if,you have to input the imei of the,old phone there is no record of the phone you purchase. If you would think about it it really makes a lot of sense. I am betting the Samsung peopleyou have been talking to don't know much on this promo. Samsung hired prizelogic to administer it because I got a response from prizelogic when I did the contact them link on the promo website.

I take it you didn't ask about the particular question about which phone to use to till #5... old or new (N4). I actually sent them this exact question, and I'm still waiting for a reply. I for one am not taking anyone's answer as gospel... I'm going to wait to preorder until the dust settles, and maybe then a clear answer will emerge. We've got till 10/16, the day before the official release. In the meanwhile, I'm going to hunt for a functioning s2 on CL for about 40.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

After all of this, we really STILL do not know if paying full price is part of the offer anywhere.

Best Buy defers depending on what store you ask, but what matters is how their POS system allows them to authorize the $200 card. As per the promo from Samsung it depends on the terms and conditions. Very lame very safe easy out wording by Samsung as not to pi$$ off their retail partners.

layout98

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Ok, so the Samsung promotions page now has clickable links for the Terms and Conditions as well as the “contact us.”

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to speak to Best Buy and other Carrier stores, but it still appears that no one knows anything for sure AND the contact us link appears to be managed by third party so I’m not sure they will have a clue either.

Based on my research and info in the terms and conditions here’s what I know so far:

This deal is for domestic US customers and retailers (for whatever that’s worth).

Best Buy has its own trade-in program and rebate offer for the Note 4. The terms and conditions from Sammy specifically say “Participants who pre-order a Galaxy Note 4 at Best Buy are not eligible to participate in this offer.”

Secondly Best Buy’s website seems to offer up to a $200 gift card for Verizon, AT&T and Sprint only. And it appears the Best Buy wants you to sign up for a contract or renew a contract in order to take advantage of their deal. This is consistent with previous offers. As noted earlier in this thread, some Best Buy locations are saying that you will only get the trade-in value of your phone (so if it’s not worth $200, you may only get what Best Buy deems that it’s worth). I believe that T-Mobile is not included because T-Mobile’s options are 1) you pay for the phone outright OR 2) you pay for the phone over 24 months for the same price (meaning there no carrier subsidy).

So far, I’ve only been able to find that Carrier Stores and Best Buy are offering pre-orders. AND the carrier stores are only offering trade-ins to post-paid customers (meaning that you have to sign up for a contract in order to get trade-in). The downside here is that T-Mobile will only give you a trade-in if you agree to be a post-paid customer (pre-paid customers are not eligible for a trade-in making this offer useless).

Although Amazon is listing a pre-order for and unlocked phone, it’s sold by a third party, so I’m still not sure it will qualify, not to mention that it’s already $150 more than the no commitment costs of most carriers.

In terms of retailers Sammy has not officially stated them for this offer, but in the general press releases for the Note 4, Sammy has listed Target, Walmart, Sam’s Club, Costco, and Radio Shack on their website as placed to get the Note 4, but none of them are offering pre-orders for the Note 4 yet and not many of them have a trade-in program. Walmart DOES have a trade-in program but is not yet pre-selling the Note 4.

So at this point the big questions are:

Can anyone confirm the actual retailers for this offer (which was the first post btw)?

Is Sammy going to pre-sell and unlocked version of this phone BEFORE the offer ends?

Does anyone know of any retailers that offer a trade-in AND sell T-Mobile no-contract phones? (Not interested in Carrier stores as they will not trade in for prepaid customers.)

tnhdg

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Bestbuy rep told me:
Any working Android smartphone is eligible for $200 trade in. (I asked about an old HTC EVO 4G).
The $200 gift card can be applied to purchase of Note 4 on the day of the trade in and preorder pickup.
There is no limit to the number of lines that can receive the $200 trade in. (I have 5 Sprint Family Lines that I am going to upgrade to Note 4s and going keep my old family plan).

I even called Bestbuy trade in center online and the rep also confirmed the above info.

TransAm461

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

ok...so here is my question about this $200 trade-in....... i have already pre-ordered my Note 4 through Verizon, and it is getting shipped right to my house when released, (not to Verizon store), how do i go about trading in my Note 2 to Verizon to get my trade-in receipt?