Note 4 - Samsung $200 trade in promotion

bspill

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: samsung $200 trade in promotion

I wonder how Verizon Edge Account fits into this. If you preorder from BB and want to go on the Edge program, does the rebate still apply?

Posted via Android Central App

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

This trade in deal has convinced me to pick up the N4. This may be a dumb question, but I've never done a trade in before. Do you transfer your data to the new phone in store and then do a factory reset before you hand over your old phone? I'll be trading in my N2 for the N4 and the whole handing over my old phone with data on it scares me. Thanks for any guidance.

If you have an Android phone, you might want to consider installing an app like My Backup Pro (costs a few bucks). It will back up all your data (contacts, text messages, phone logs, photos, etc.) and your apps, making a reinstall much easier. With Jelly Bean, it used to allow backups to an external SD card (if your phone takes one of those), but that went away with Kit Kat (unless you root your phone, I guess). So if you have Kit Kat or no SD card, you would have to have enough space on your phone to store the backup files, then copy those to your computer, then when you get your new phone copy those backup files from your computer to your new phone, install My Backup Pro, and then restore from the backup.

At a minimum, you should probably copy any photos you want to save to your computer.

BB or a carrier store can transfer your contacts from your old phone to your new one, but not much (if anything) more than that. I'm sure they wipe the phones that they take as trade-ins, but if you don't have faith in that, do backups as I and others suggest and then wipe/restore the phone yourself before trading it in.

Last edited:

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

You can check the value of your trade in on Best Buy's website. It's not BB giving you the $200 it's Samsung, all BB is giving you is the actual trade in value and Samsung is reimbursing BB for the difference which is why you can't claim a Samsung rebate when you use the BB rebate.

I think the reason Samsung has this rebate program is because Apple is offering up to a $300 rebate if you trade one of the last two models of iPhone in on an iPhone 6. Samsung doesn't want to any more lose market share to Apple than they already are.

no, theres 2 programs. you're thinking of the one where samsung gives you money. best buy ALSO has it's OWN program where they give you a $200 gift card for "any" phone.

also, i just got back from my local best buy and talked to the samsung guys. 3 of them are all buying off contract too on verizon, to keep their unlimited data. the main guy in charge said that it's doesn't count towards buying off contract, and obviously he wishes it did so he could get his there. i showed him the updated flyer saying you can't do the samsung promo at best buy anymore because best buy has it's own promo, and he was like "yeah i love how customers come in and tell us this stuff when samsung or best buy don't even give us the info!" haha. either way, i just played around with the note 4 (and helped a girl out who was checking them out, as she was a recent iphone convert and pre-ordered hers! damn, i don't even work there and my old Verizon sales days were kicking in..haha) but i didn't bother pre-ordering. maybe i'll do it at verizon and trade in at verizon to get the samsung $200 deal.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

This stuff isn't nearly as annoying and confusing of you just take "best buy" out of the equation. I have no best buy so it's just not even an option for me, making the process of dealing with Verizon and samsung for the $200 pretty simple and straightforward. Traded in my old gs3 which Verizon gave me $52 for and samsung will give me the other $148. Easy peasy, plus I still have my current phone, an n5, which I will sell to gazelle for another $200. Easy $400.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

This stuff isn't nearly as annoying and confusing of you just take "best buy" out of the equation. I have no best buy so it's just not even an option for me, making the process of dealing with Verizon and samsung for the $200 pretty simple and straightforward. Traded in my old gs3 which Verizon gave me $52 for and samsung will give me the other $148. Easy peasy, plus I still have my current phone, an n5, which I will sell to gazelle for another $200. Easy $400.

how are you doing the verizon method? going into a store and handing the phone in physically, or like mailing it in? my S3 has two small cracks, so i wonder if they'd give me anything. i'm taking best buy outta the equation now, which like you said makes it much less complicated. but for reasons i won't get into, i can't create a my verizon account and i have to call in to pre-order or physically goto a store.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Originally Posted by mty msi
You can check the value of your trade in on Best Buy's website. It's not BB giving you the $200 it's Samsung, all BB is giving you is the actual trade in value and Samsung is reimbursing BB for the difference which is why you can't claim a Samsung rebate when you use the BB rebate.​

no, theres 2 programs. you're thinking of the one where samsung gives you money. best buy ALSO has it's OWN program where they give you a $200 gift card for "any" phone.

I think mty msi knows there are two programs. All that mty msi is saying is that if you go the BB route, BB isn't giving you the $200 out of its own pocket; BB will be reimbursed by Samsung in the end. In a sense, BB is "fronting" you the rebate that Samsung is offering.

So under both programs you get $200 for your trade-in. The main difference is that at BB it is given instantly as a $200 "gift card" that is applied to the cost of the Note 4, while at other retailers you get the trade-in value of your old phone at time of purchase, and then have to submit all the receipts, etc., to Samsung in order to receive 6-8 weeks later a rebate check from Samsung for the difference between your trade-in value and $200.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I must be missing something because I don't understand the advantage to buying without a contract considering you need the service to use the phone.

I use AT&T because they and Verizon have the best coverage in my area. I looked at T Mobile's new plans and they're actually more expensive because you have to pay full price for the phone and the monthly service fee is just slightly less than AT&T. On top of that their coverage isn't nearly as good as AT&T or Verizon.

What is the advantage of buying the phone at full price without a contract?

I don't have a choice. My contract just started in June I'm not eligible for an upgrade for two more years.

potatoesinthesand

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Note 4 PSA: T-Mobile $200 Promo Trade-In Using Optimus F3

I thought I'd let anyone who is considering buying an inexpensive so-called "LS720 Optimus F3" from BestBuy in order to trade it in to receive Samsung's $200 promotion know that this phone will not qualify for the $10 minimum trade in value.

I bought the Optimus F3 (listed as the LS720 version) from BestBuy and when I brought it into a T-Mobile store and initiated the trade in process, the rep took out the battery and the model number listed on the phone is the VM720 version, NOT the LS720 version. The VM720 version is worth only $9, which is not enough to qualify for the $200 promo. I called other BestBuy stores asking about the Optimus F3 and they all said it was the LS720, but could not verify if the phone inside was actually the LS720 model as they would have to open the packaging to find out. BestBuy's listing is INCORRECT.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

I don't have a choice. My contract just started in June I'm not eligible for an upgrade for two more years.

So reesh11, are you going through at&t or bb? BB won't allow you to purchase the phone outright and get the promotion, so I guess I'm stuck with dealing with Verizon. Can I do this online? Please tell me I don't have to go into a store.

Note 2 via Android Central App

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
So reesh11, are you going through at&t or bb? BB won't allow you to purchase the phone outright and get the promotion, so I guess I'm stuck with dealing with Verizon. Can I do this online? Please tell me I don't have to go into a store.

I was told by 3 employees that I could use it. It's cheaper at Best Buy even if I don't get to use the promotion. Plus best buy accepts more than one form of payment so I'll be picking up in store on the 17 th. I think you can mail the trade in etc but I would think it would all take much longer. I personally feel that if I throw enough of a fit with the store manager I will get what I want ;) and technically speaking the phone will be activated before I leave best buy right? Don't they have to put my new SIM in etc? I will visit the store several more times over the next three weeks to clear this up. May need to just go to a different Best Buy lol

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I would think the same but I can get really bad if I get angry. They won't like me when I'm angry. And unfortunately, I only have one BB near me.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I would think the same but I can get really bad if I get angry. They won't like me when I'm angry.

Me either ;) but like I said I will be calling/visiting often. As it gets closer there should be more info released to employees. I see nothing stating it can't be an outright purchase I've read both pages multiple times.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

how are you doing the verizon method? going into a store and handing the phone in physically, or like mailing it in? my S3 has two small cracks, so i wonder if they'd give me anything. i'm taking best buy outta the equation now, which like you said makes it much less complicated. but for reasons i won't get into, i can't create a my verizon account and i have to call in to pre-order or physically goto a store.

I went on their device recycling program webpage and just put in what phone model I have and what condition its in and they will send a pre addressed and posted envelope for me to ship the phone to them. Once they receive it they will email me a Verizon gift card for the amount it is worth, $52. I will use the gift card towards the purchase of my Note 4 and send the credentials in to Samsung for the remaining balance of $148.
As for your phone, I think they will still accept it with the cracks but I do remember on the web page there is a question that asks if phone is cracked in any way. It probably just detract from the amount its worth but I think they would still take it as it is a phone recycling program, or so they say.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Like I said, I'd go the CL or Ebay route, but with the burn-in, I'm just not sure what anyone would pay.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

I went on their device recycling program webpage and just put in what phone model I have and what condition its in and they will send a pre addressed and posted envelope for me to ship the phone to them. Once they receive it they will email me a Verizon gift card for the amount it is worth, $52. I will use the gift card towards the purchase of my Note 4 and send the credentials in to Samsung for the remaining balance of $148.
As for your phone, I think they will still accept it with the cracks but I do remember on the web page there is a question that asks if phone is cracked in any way. It probably just detract from the amount its worth but I think they would still take it as it is a phone recycling program, or so they say.

thanks! maybe i'll call in to reactivate my online account so i can do this, then have them deactivate it. had a very annoying security breach that verizon refused to fix, so i had to disable my online account with them. maybe i'll give it a go.

InfinitiFX35

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Can i do the trade directly at a Verizon store and get the value back with a receipt for the promotion through Samsung?

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Ok, can someone explain this to me real quick PLEASE.......Thus will be my first samsung phone since the galaxy s2. I am on t-mobile, I plan on pre-ordering today and buying at full price on t-mobile. Will this work on t-mobile? Will it work on-line only or also in the store? The samsung ad says trade in your phone to a "Participating retailer", is t-mobile a participating retailer???

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

Ok, can someone explain this to me real quick PLEASE.......Thus will be my first samsung phone since the galaxy s2. I am on t-mobile, I plan on pre-ordering today and buying at full price on t-mobile. Will this work on t-mobile? Will it work on-line only or also in the store? The samsung ad says trade in your phone to a "Participating retailer", is t-mobile a participating retailer???

No, it says, "Preorder the Samsung Galaxy Note® 4 from any carrier or retailer in the U.S. now through 10/16 (Verizon customers through 10/22)." Check it out at https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/Note4/.

Jun Watanabe

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Yes, you can. You can't preorder via the website unless you have a postpaid plan. For prepaid, you can preorder via phone or in brick and mortar store. If you download the terms and conditions, it clearly states t-mo is included.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

we'll see, but i still stand by the fact i'm doubting that BB will take ANY phone for $200 right off the bat on off contract. you think they'd take my worthless droid eris and give me $200 of a Note 4? i highly doubt it.
I agree with this, unfortunately....

Best Buy is giving the $200 card up front and then waiting for reimbursement from Samsung, however long that will take. The process is a waste for Best Buy if full price gets the offer as well.

The offer from Samsung clearly points out the deal depends on terms, conditions and limitations. Big wide Out, that wording is for all entities supporting the offer.

This seems destined to be an absolute cluster fook for BB, carriers and Samsung- for months. Seems poorly planned, communicated and in an absolute Apple is taking marketshare panic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance