Note 4 - Samsung $200 trade in promotion

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Best Buy should be ashamed

Swindle? It is their promotion and because of capitalism, we can go ANYWHERE to purchase the device, but I am planning to go through best buy just to avoid complications w submitting receipts online, waiting for a check (hopefully), etc.

Since best buy has been so ambiguous about this promotion, I'd rather take the sure thing and go via AT&T and do the online thing.

I cancelled my best buy pre-order today because we still can't get a definitive answer on how it works.

Sorry

Well considering they're also working within the framework of the same Capitalistic system, what makes you think that they'll be ok with you buying an $80 phone then trying to get $200 worth of credit for it? The purpose behind their promotion is so they can draw in more customers and make some money as well. I'm willing to bet that the only phones that are going to qualify are phones that they can turn around and sell as refurbs for a profit.

I'm still not sure why you think they should be ashamed, for not explaining how you can try to pull a fast one. That is what you're looking for right?

erinpac

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

You think they are truly paying you for the phone?
It's just a Samsung rebate deal that they are offering an instant version of. They aren't trying to pay what the phones are worth. If they were, that would just be their regular trade in offers.

They offer the instant rebates for some other company's promotions too. The only thing they are doing is fronting the discount for a short time for Samsung (or any other company), in order to convince you to buy there instead of somewhere else.

How is that ripping them off? It's probably one of the cheapest promos they could possibly do - a penny or two of interest at most, while they try to get in high dollar purchases that are prime targets for their Black Tie stuff and accessories.

They may even prefer the garbage phones. A go phone still in box bought just for this purpose will resell for higher than the trade in value, and Samsung will just end up covering more, which seems idea for Best Buy - plus they just sold you the Go Phone. You pay them $30 to cover $10 of your rebate, and they hand you a phone for a minute which you hand them back. It's a free $20 profit off nothing, and Samsung, who isn't even getting the phone anyways, is covering $190. Best Buy is then left with a phone that's sill new at least. A normal phone will usually get turned into parts for repair, or refurbish replacements, and it's hard to say if they even get the trade in value out of helping them fill warranty/insurance repair.

In addition, they're advertising having Samsung centers in their stores and a higher level of partnership specifically to provide you a higher level of associated service (in order to win your business), and that "improved service" still can't tell you their own rules for making a large purchase. It's their own deal rules, and apparently they didn't even get around to sending out a mass email with the fine print or instructions on redeeming it. They told the general public in advertisements more than they told their own employees.

erinpac

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 4 samsung $200 trade in promotion

That's what the dude at the mobile counter told me.

I'm not sure I'd believe anyone at Best Buy yet. When I went in, they told me it was for in store purchases only not online orders, and was not just preorders but would probably be a few weeks after phone release as "the phone isn't out so they don't even have any signs for that yet" (completely contrary to their add which says only preorders and mentions that you can order online for in store pickup), that it was mailed after (even though the ads say instant - that's the entire benefit of Best Buy's version over just going straight to Samsung), and that only iPhones were probably smart phones - that even the latest Blackberry would not count.
They are just guessing at this point. Maybe some are basing it on previous promotions, but I did not get the impression that anyone in the store, including the Samsung guys, the mobile guys, or the store manager, had actually heard anything at all about this.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I'm certain the employees at the BB here are idiots. The day pre orders started for AT&T the Samsung guy didn't even know the pre orders started! After he told me I couldn't order it yet I immediately went to the service desk and asked. The lady told me I could. If BB wasn't slightly cheaper and AT&T had more ways to pay I'd certainly go thru them.

Posted via Android Central App

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

No need to call employees names like idiots or morons. The policies themselves are unclear. The BB employees should not be expected to uniformly clarify an unclear policy. Hopefully, the implementation of the policy will be more clear soon.

erinpac

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

I do think Best Buy and Samsung should better clarify things for their employees... but when they have Samsung specific people in store, they probably should know when their next flagship is out and when it can be ordered. They're sitting there babysitting a display with a new phone every 6 months and nothing else there, and virtually anyone interested in the phone would have been better informed. They can't clarify the policies without Best Buy and Samsung better informing them... but I'm not sure it would matter if they did. They told me not to bother preordering as any deal would last a long while and the phone wouldn't be out for a while anyways. They clearly didn't have any idea when the release was, despite having one sitting on display already. They also didn't know what colors it came in - he saw the pink in the computer and told me it was coming in pink and must also have white since that was on display. Didn't think I could preorder a black one, whenever he thought preorders started, because he wasn't sure it existed. I would have expected that they might be curious when their flagship phone is coming out, since they had several employees there solely for Samsung phones, but they weren't - they didn't know that either. I'd think pure self interest would at least motivate them to learn that; who WANTS to be blindsided by a product release at work when you know it only happens a couple times a year? They don't get bored enough to read the signs they're putting up? They should at least know what's in the ads all around them in the store, even if they got no other documentation.

Whether it's Best Buy's fault, Samsung's fault, the employees' fault or all 3, they've done a great job of making sure that they are in no way useful.

Last edited:

erinpac

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: samsung $200 trade in promotion

I agree with this, unfortunately....

Best Buy is giving the $200 card up front and then waiting for reimbursement from Samsung, however long that will take. The process is a waste for Best Buy if full price gets the offer as well.

The offer from Samsung clearly points out the deal depends on terms, conditions and limitations. Big wide Out, that wording is for all entities supporting the offer.

This seems destined to be an absolute cluster fook for BB, carriers and Samsung- for months. Seems poorly planned, communicated and in an absolute Apple is taking marketshare panic.

Why would the contract make any difference? How would that be any more of a 'waste' for Best Buy than it is on contract? It isn't listed in Samsung's offer, so I don't see why Samsung would give Best Buy any problem about reimbursement off contract, and the money isn't coming from the service providers. Why should Samsung care in any way about your contract with Verizon or Sprint or AT&T? So long as Samsung is footing the final bill, why would Best Buy have any interest in the contract for this? It's still basically a short term loan of $200 for a tiny bit of lost interest, in exchange for trying to get your purchase to their store instead of any other. It's still a sale, and a chance to market their insurance and accessories, and isn't even a larger loan than it is on contract. It costs them the same small bit.

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

wow what a mess.. ok i have read this whole thing i plan on doing the amazon deal (to keep my unlimited data) order there then do the samsung rebate but where on amazon do i find my trade in value? all i could find was icrap . i have a old droid pro and a lg lucid i can hopefully trade one of the two in for the 10buck min.

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

You think they are truly paying you for the phone?
It's just a Samsung rebate deal that they are offering an instant version of. They aren't trying to pay what the phones are worth. If they were, that would just be their regular trade in offers.

They offer the instant rebates for some other company's promotions too. The only thing they are doing is fronting the discount for a short time for Samsung (or any other company), in order to convince you to buy there instead of somewhere else.

How is that ripping them off? It's probably one of the cheapest promos they could possibly do - a penny or two of interest at most, while they try to get in high dollar purchases that are prime targets for their Black Tie stuff and accessories.

They may even prefer the garbage phones. A go phone still in box bought just for this purpose will resell for higher than the trade in value, and Samsung will just end up covering more, which seems idea for Best Buy - plus they just sold you the Go Phone. You pay them $30 to cover $10 of your rebate, and they hand you a phone for a minute which you hand them back. It's a free $20 profit off nothing, and Samsung, who isn't even getting the phone anyways, is covering $190. Best Buy is then left with a phone that's sill new at least. A normal phone will usually get turned into parts for repair, or refurbish replacements, and it's hard to say if they even get the trade in value out of helping them fill warranty/insurance repair.

In addition, they're advertising having Samsung centers in their stores and a higher level of partnership specifically to provide you a higher level of associated service (in order to win your business), and that "improved service" still can't tell you their own rules for making a large purchase. It's their own deal rules, and apparently they didn't even get around to sending out a mass email with the fine print or instructions on redeeming it. They told the general public in advertisements more than they told their own employees.

Amen!

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

wow what a mess.. ok i have read this whole thing i plan on doing the amazon deal (to keep my unlimited data) order there then do the samsung rebate but where on amazon do i find my trade in value? all i could find was icrap . i have a old droid pro and a lg lucid i can hopefully trade one of the two in for the 10buck min.

I plan on doing the same. Was going to go with Best Buy but it sucks they are charging an extra $50.

Here is the Amazon link:
Amazon Electronics Trade-In

Surprised I can get almost $50 for my HTC Thunderbolt...

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

yeah and best buy has to be instore pickup that wont work for us lol

oh yeah, I forgot about that. I was really hoping to order from Best Buy in order to save screen shots of the "keep exisiting data plan" that happens when you order. But I guess I will just have to trust what others have said about Amazon and swapping sim's. I do have 3rd line which has a dumbphone on it, so I technically could transfer the upgrade to it, order from Verizon, and try to activate it directly on my UDP line and hope the data plan requirement doesn't hit the dumbphone line and I don't have any issues with the pending activation.

Decisions, decisions...

May 25, 2012
Visit site

I chatted with an Amazon rep last night and she said Amazon wasn't participating in this promotion. Does anyone have confirmation that it will work if ordering through Amazon? That was my original plan but of course the rep knew nothing about it, checked into it and reported that they are not running that promo.

erinpac

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

I chatted with an Amazon rep last night and she said Amazon wasn't participating in this promotion. Does anyone have confirmation that it will work if ordering through Amazon? That was my original plan but of course the rep knew nothing about it, checked into it and reported that they are not running that promo.

It's not Amazon's promotion. Nobody but Best Buy and Samsung are really running it, though the others might know about it, so there's no reason Amazon would have any information really. If anyone could tell you, it'd be Samsung, not Amazon.
It does say any retailer on the offer. Amazon's trade in system is a bit different though - that's the only part I'd be unsure about. I think I'd just go to a store that's willing to price match Amazon (or offers the same price - haven't seen prices from all the retailers yet), if you're wanting to avoid the hassle in Best Buy.

Joefo

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

As other poster mentioned, it's not an Amazon promo, it's a Samsung promo.

The Samsung promo offer reads ANY retailer: "Preorder the Samsung Galaxy Note® 4 from any carrier or retailer in the U.S. now through 10/16" (of course the fine print says 'participating retailer', but I am assuming it includes those listed in the press release below; if not I will probably pre-order elsewhere)
(not allowed to post links; google samsung Brilliant Friends and Family Deal.)

The Samsung announcement mentions Amazon along with other retailers as selling Note 4: "The Galaxy Note 4 will be available in Charcoal Black and Frost White. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and U.S. Cellular will carry the Galaxy Note 4. Samsung Experience Shops in Best Buy, as well as Amazon, Costco, RadioShack, Sam’s Club, Target, Walmart will also carry the Galaxy Note 4. Carriers and retailers will confirm specific pricing, availability, pre-orders and specs. "
(not allowed to post links; google "Pre-orders-Start-Tomorrow-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4")

Best Buy has it's own $200 trade offer and if you buy from Best Buy you are not eligible for the Samsung offer (per 1st link above).

I pre-ordered from BestBuy but I ended up going with Amazon. I have heard conflicting stories on BestBuy as far as no contract price, no contract eligibility for promo and definition of "any working smart phone". Amazon trade will give me at least $10 for phone. Amazon is $25 cheaper than AT&T and who knows BB final price will be (pre-order does not show or guarantee price, just phone). At least Amazon usually honors pre-order pricing (or will decrease if price drops prior to release on some items). Plus some folks may receive sales tax benefits with Amazon.

But now I am stuck with a $50 BB gift card. Maybe I will buy a 128GB microsd for the Note 4.

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

im in agreement i would think that this really doenst have anything to do with amazon or whoever you buy the phone from other than bb that is just buy the phone trade in old send samsung what they need as far as new phone info your account name info and trade in info. then they make up the difference between trade and 200 bucks

Jaded-Fan

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site

I originally was going with Bestbuy to not have to mess with the trade in paperwork and waiting. I actually placed the order. But then the fine print and no one there having a clue even about the promotion let alone how it worked made me change to Amazon.

Not to mention that you save $50 over everywhere else (I am Sprint and at Amazon, it is $299, everywhere else it is $349). The only real drawback that I see is that Amazon delivers on October 21, but if you are basically getting the Note 4 for $99 how can you complain about 3 days difference? Anyone know why Amazon is delivering later than anyone else though?

I do have one question. We have five phones on our account, and I am upgrading three of them. Is there a limitation on how many phones you can turn in on this offer or will they reject the $200 trade in on one or two?

Thanks in advance for answering

Joefo

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I do have one question. We have five phones on our account, and I am upgrading three of them. Is there a limitation on how many phones you can turn in on this offer or will they reject the $200 trade in on one or two?

Thanks in advance for answering

At the bottom of the Samsung promo page it says " Limit one Offer claim per pre-order transaction. Limit three Offer claims per household. "
So it sounds like up to 3 by they have to be 3 separate pre-orders. You might want to email samsung.

I can't link yet but you can see promo page if you google "Smart Samsung Phone.
Brilliant Friends and Family Deal."
Then pick the 'all carriers' option then the 'Brilliant Friends and Family Deal".

As far as delivery date of 10/21. I believe they are assuming release on Friday 10/17 then with standard 2 day shipping that is 10/21. I chose 1 day shipping and my estimate is 10/20. But if they receive phones before 10/17 they may shoot for 10/17 delivery (like with video games).

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

As other poster mentioned, it's not an Amazon promo, it's a Samsung promo.

The Samsung promo offer reads ANY retailer: "Preorder the Samsung Galaxy Note® 4 from any carrier or retailer in the U.S. now through 10/16" (of course the fine print says 'participating retailer', but I am assuming it includes those listed in the press release below; if not I will probably pre-order elsewhere)
(not allowed to post links; google samsung Brilliant Friends and Family Deal.)

The Samsung announcement mentions Amazon along with other retailers as selling Note 4: "The Galaxy Note 4 will be available in Charcoal Black and Frost White. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and U.S. Cellular will carry the Galaxy Note 4. Samsung Experience Shops in Best Buy, as well as Amazon, Costco, RadioShack, Sam’s Club, Target, Walmart will also carry the Galaxy Note 4. Carriers and retailers will confirm specific pricing, availability, pre-orders and specs. "
(not allowed to post links; google "Pre-orders-Start-Tomorrow-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4")

Best Buy has it's own $200 trade offer and if you buy from Best Buy you are not eligible for the Samsung offer (per 1st link above).

I pre-ordered from BestBuy but I ended up going with Amazon. I have heard conflicting stories on BestBuy as far as no contract price, no contract eligibility for promo and definition of "any working smart phone". Amazon trade will give me at least $10 for phone. Amazon is $25 cheaper than AT&T and who knows BB final price will be (pre-order does not show or guarantee price, just phone). At least Amazon usually honors pre-order pricing (or will decrease if price drops prior to release on some items). Plus some folks may receive sales tax benefits with Amazon.

But now I am stuck with a $50 BB gift card. Maybe I will buy a 128GB microsd for the Note 4.
I was going to pre-order from amazon too.
Did you do your pre-order and trade-in in two different transactions?
If so, how would samsung know which note 4 you traded in for? Or we only need to send in the trade-in along with the pre-order transactions to receive the rebate?

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

BB outright price for AT&T has now increased to match the ridiculous $825 they are charging. There goes one of the benefits of ordering from BB..

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech