Note 4 - Samsung $200 trade in promotion

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note 4 samsung $200 trade in promotion

Samsung posted this: https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/note4/Content/Faq.pdf

This is important for the Samsung check:

5. If I have a trade in for less than $10.00 would I still be applicable for this promotion?

No. To participate in this promotion, you need to trade in a working smartphone and receive a trade-in credit of at least $10 or more.

Omg finally a straight answer!! I was just on my way to BB to straighten this mess out but I see you have to be eligible for two year contract...I should just add a line...haha

Posted via Android Central App

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

Omg finally a straight answer!! I was just on my way to BB to straighten this mess out but I see you have to be eligible for two year contract...I should just add a line...haha

What sucks is, if you take this literally from the FAQ: "Customer must be eligible for a new two-year activation to receive gift card for this promotion."

then no existing lines that are simply eligible for an upgrade can get the BB gift card. But my God, would they get roasted if they disallowed eligible upgrades. Does nobody ever think through these things before they post them?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Doesn't appear they reply with anything useful. At least they they uploaded that FAQ that actually has some of the questions we have asked. I know at least two of those were ones I emailed them about, I'm sure others did as well.

This clarification FAQ is about one month late.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

What sucks is, if you take this literally from the FAQ: "Customer must be eligible for a new two-year activation to receive gift card for this promotion."

then no existing lines that are simply eligible for an upgrade can get the BB gift card. But my God, would they get roasted if they disallowed eligible upgrades. Does nobody ever think through these things before they post them?

Wow didn't even see that! I may just add my six year old after all...nah lol I HATE two year contracts I always break or end up buying phone outright (like now). I wish there were one year contracts lol.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

"New" is the usual terming for a contract, regardless of if a brand new line or not. Agreed it is poor in wording, none the less.

mrhankey184

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I'll assume I'm "the other guy" lol - Okay this is the deal-- the entire reason why I wanted to go through BB and get my preorder done (and luckily I did it yesterday @ 6pm EST) Best Buy will take any working smartphone (regardless of value and no cracked screen) they also prefer it to be IOS, Android, or Windows OS. I am buying a old used Samsung Galaxy for like $10.00 and trading it in to Best Buy for $200 instant rebate (gift card) and apply it to my phone, then I'm taking the phone I'm currently using (GS4) and trading it in to best buy as a separate transaction for $155. This gives me a total of $355 of giftcards to buy a $299 phone (After it's price matched). You cannot get the direct samsung rebate unless your phone is valued at $10+. It seems like Best Buy is taking the hit on the $10 if the phone does not meet Samsung minimum requirements or they are also banking on the phones that are traded in that exceed that value. This is probably one of the reasons that BB is almost sold out of all its preorders. I highly suggest calling around and seeing who is still taking preorders - Make sure you call all the Best Buy Mobiles, and nobody will do it over the phone because you have to be present with photo ID.

Hope this helps

edit - If you are with Sprint you can call into Retention and get your upgrade pushed through if you're close 90-120 days. If you aren't close you can pay $100-150 to get an early upgrade.

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

nothing on weather the trade in can be at a diffent store though like order through vzw then trade in at bb or amazone or whereever...

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Because VZW will only give me 8 bucks for it dude... If they'd give me 10 I would do exactly what you are saying, I am not stupid ;-P lol.... I have to do it this way... I also spoke to a customer service mgr from samsung and they said I would be golden for the promo through samsung if I pre order from VZW and seperately sell my phone to worst buy... i know they all dont know what theyre talking about, but that, combined with all the fine print tells me I will be fine...

Still holding out hope to get this done with worst buy today... I mean UCS and that other dude got their orders in yesterday morning... why can't i get mine in today?? It is not impossible!

Good luck. Best Buy & Samsung definitely get a F for the way they've handled this pre-order process.

Can't believe how much smoother the iPhone launch was, even with the significantly higher number of pre-orders. I was able to pre-order my wife's 6 plus and get a $200 trade-in rebate very easily.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

For those that are considering using Amazon for the trade, note that they require the battery, charger and USB cable to be included in order to qualify for the 'good' rating.

trmiv

May 5, 2013
Visit site

For those that are considering using Amazon for the trade, note that they require the battery, charger and USB cable to be included in order to qualify for the 'good' rating.

Yea I noticed that. For some phones it doesn't matter as much. My wife's Droid Razr they are offering $45 for "good" but $17 I believe (can't remember) for acceptable. Either way, more than $10 so I'm good. For another old phone I scrounged up without a charger they are offering like $50 with the charger and $1 without it. Oops. Back to the drawing board on that one.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Ok so I may have found a work around for those buying off contract. Activate a new line at BB trade in phone blah blah...then pay the phone off. AT&T ETF is $325 plus $99 = a lot less than $825! I know, I'm devious 😛

sidthekid28

Banned
Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Good luck. Best Buy & Samsung definitely get a F for the way they've handled this pre-order process.

Can't believe how much smoother the iPhone launch was, even with the significantly higher number of pre-orders. I was able to pre-order my wife's 6 plus and get a $200 trade-in rebate very easily.

Failure...both stores I just hit, the system wouldn't allow them to take my pre order...I'm gonna wait till the weekend and try one more time Saturday, and then if still the same case I'll just pre order at VZW store... I'll 100% never shop at best buy ever again...

sidthekid28

Banned
Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

nothing on weather the trade in can be at a diffent store though like order through vzw then trade in at bb or amazone or whereever...

Yes you can absolutely do that...100% sure...Just have to make sure you have register receipts for BOTH the pre order AND the trade in to send in to Samsung...I'm going to end up pre ordering from VZW store and separately trading in my phone at BB.. which is fine...

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I think we all need to read that FAQ page fully. Because I think Samsung is very adamant in trading in at BB and getting that gift card. I thought it said if you order from there you have to trade in there but idk about it working the opposite way.

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Yes you can absolutely do that...100% sure...Just have to make sure you have register receipts for BOTH the pre order AND the trade in to send in to Samsung...I'm going to end up pre ordering from VZW store and separately trading in my phone at BB.. which is fine...

Unfortunately I don't trust Samsung enough to honor that as I could see them declining the rebate if you preorder and trade in at different locations. That is why I preordered at Amazon because I can get over 10 for my thunderbolt where as verizon would give me less.

Posted via the Android Central App

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

See here

Attachments

• 22394.jpg
    22394.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 51

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Ok so I may have found a work around for those buying off contract. Activate a new line at BB trade in phone blah blah...then pay the phone off. AT&T ETF is $325 plus $99 = a lot less than $825! I know, I'm devious 😛

Nope., will cost you more then off contract price because when you buy on contract at bestbuy, they have their own separate etf so you would have to pay off the at&t etf and bestbuy etf.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Nope., will cost you more then off contract price because when you buy on contract at bestbuy, they have their own separate etf so you would have to pay off the at&t etf and bestbuy etf.

Say what?? Never heard of that well have to look into that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: samsung $200 trade in promotion

Yes there is, but an indirect method:

If you have a line with data that has an upgrade due, you can get the deal with that phone line and then Best Buy will switch the SIM card and line of your current phone to the Note 4. The key again is the line must have data and must be eligible for an upgrade.
If I am understanding correctly, you are using the non unlimited line's upgrade. If so then yes it would work, since the upgrade is not from the unlimited line

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: samsung $200 trade in promotion

I need to use a cross upgrade from a non-data plan phone to avoid BB's $200 early ETF on my unlimited data line. I'm 7 weeks away from a regular upgrade and AT&T would have charged a $105 ETF. I went to BB to preorder and was told they had no way to grandfather the unlimited data and suggested I call AT&T which I did. AT&T retention dept. told me they would switch the cross upgrade to the grandfathered unlimited data line after I received the N4. I can't order through AT&T because they value my trade in at $9. So at BB I will be signing a new AT&T Mobile Share plan to activate the N4 and if I want the grandfathered unlimited data I'll call AT&T. I may decide to keep the Mobile Share plan because it includes unlimited minutes, texts and a personal wifi spot for my laptop. I don't use much data, last 3 months was under 1 GB/mo and I think the unlimited minutes & texts and the personal wifi hotspot are more advantageous for me. I'm going to BB today to preorder and I'll post later today the outcome.