All I want is to be able to run stock Android L

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The N4 is going to be a wonderful phone hobbled by TouchWiz. We all know it. And going by TW updates, barely anything changes between versions. I know my S3 was so much faster (although a bit unstable with the wrong rom) running a custom AOSP rom.

This is the really sad part about Samsung phones. Why don't they refresh TouchWiz and make it close to stock? Every other phone oem has done this.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
1am, huh? Ugh, fun times indeed! Glad you got them though!

Your G-1 first look video today was great! I love that you can add Folders to the Home screen and put stuff in it like your games. Sweet!

I wouldn't say every other phones does that... Since most run their own UI... Such as HTC with Sense.

If it means that much get a GPE phone or simply root a Note 4 and ROM it :).

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
But except for Koreans (LG, Samsung) other skins are much lighter. Moto and Sony are almost stock, Sense 6 is much much lighter and also close to stock.

I am concerned about locked bootloaders.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I pray sammi keep a firewall between my privacy and google's long hands.

You can install customized launcher, but dont ask sammi to allow google invade more than they already have.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I pray sammi keep a firewall between my privacy and google's long hands.

You can install customized launcher, but dont ask sammi to allow google invade more than they already have.

This has nothing to do with oem skin vs stock. The moment you use any Google services they have your data.

jps1012

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I am looking to switch from an iPhone (so this is new to me). I am debating the note or the nexus 6.

When do you think android L be available on the note 4?
Will there be a custom ROM to download it earlier?

Thanks!

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I am looking to switch from an iPhone (so this is new to me). I am debating the note or the nexus 6.

When do you think android L be available on the note 4?
Will there be a custom ROM to download it earlier?

Thanks!
It will depend on your carrier. My guess would be the international gets it in 3 months. Verizon (my carrier) 3 months after that.

The Note 3 came out around the same time. It got the 4.4 update in January.

dankev

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I ran a few stock variations on my rooted Note 2, but I ended up going back to TW because something was always a little buggy. If you want stock Android, get a Nexus (or a Moto X). I will probably get a Nexus 6 (assuming the rumors are right) over a Note 4 because of the software.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Stock on the Note is kind of pointless if you like the S Pen because stock ROMs typically don't make use of it like Samsung does, just remember that. If you don't think you'll use the pen then get the Nexus so you don't have to go through the trouble of rooting and romming. The ROMs are usually somewhat stable, but not close to stock Android. Nexus will be a beast and probably pretty cheap off contract and most likely will get updates for at least a year or two.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
The N4 is going to be a wonderful phone hobbled by TouchWiz. We all know it. And going by TW updates, barely anything changes between versions. I know my S3 was so much faster (although a bit unstable with the wrong rom) running a custom AOSP rom.

This is the really sad part about Samsung phones. Why don't they refresh TouchWiz and make it close to stock? Every other phone oem has done this.

I for one have know problem with touch wiz I love how punchy and colorful it is rocking a note 3 now played with the note 4 at best buy and love the build quality but ui os pretty much the same

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs