Gonna switch to a Note 4 but need some questions answered

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure that I am going to get a note 4 when my upgrade comes in November, but I have a few questions. I am on ATT, and knowing about their past history is that they lock bootloaders how long could/should this take? My last experience with android was back in the SGS days, and was a big custom ROM user, but back then anyways battery life went to crap, camera drivers were terrible and was generally super buggy and not very usuable. Considering 4 years have past, I would assume that customs ROM's are better. Basically I want to get a stable AOSP Android L ROM for the note 4, and am wondering how long this can take.

Another questions is that I need some android alternatives to the aps I use on windows phone.

Music Import(great app that downloads MP3's and nearly everything is in 320 kbps) I want an MP3 downloader app that has lot's of content in 320's kbps and wondering what are good recommendations.

Mytube- This is a great third party youtube app for windows phone that does not have adds adds, and allows you to play music in the background. Any alternatives for android?

Music- I want a clean music player app recommendation that uses a flat and minimilastic ui, and NOT the google play music app.

Nextgen Reader- this is a super clean and fast feedly client, and want to know of any alternatives that exist on android.

Nokia Camera- This app has manual controls and is a fairly clean UI, the stock Samsung camera app I found to be terrible in design, and want to know of android alternatives that are clean, minimalistic with full camera controls.

All the other MS services that I use currently on windows will continue using android, and all the other apps I think are already available for android.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Mytube is available. The stock music player has a minimalistic ui. Besides that someone else will have to answer the rest.

Posted via the Android Central App

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Mytube is available. The stock music player has a minimalistic ui. Besides that someone else will have to answer the rest.

Posted via the Android Central App

That version of mytube is from a different developer, not the same as the windows phone developer, but I will check it out nonetheless. I want to stay away from google services, but when you mean stock music app do you mean the Samsung one (which I won't have after root) or do you mean the google one?

thebrain2u

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
For music players, I'd probably recommend PowerAMP or Shuttle+. While not exactly the flatest UI, they're both pretty clean and work great.

You could always use the default feedly client on Android, but some notable alternatives would be Press or gReader, or change it up with Flipboard.

Camera is a tough one. Having lots of controls and a minimal interface doesn't always go hand in hand. The stock android (non-TW) camera is minimal, but doesn't offer lots of control and the photo quality isn't as good. Some good ones to try are Camera Zoom FX or Camera FV-5, which offer better photo quality but may get a bit used to using.

I don't know too many people who use a different YouTube app, mostly because you aren't guaranteed whether videos will consistently play on them. But there are plenty of possible replacements on the Play store, I'm sure. Also, if once rooted, there are special youtube ad blockers you can also use.

Willn

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Thats alot of questions lol, but from what i gathered you want windows apps on android? Im pretty sure you will find all your desires and then some. The stock music player for android isnt google play and is pretty clean and straight forward, but if you want more sound controls yes power amp is a good choice. For the camera, the note 4 has an updated UI that is supposed to be more simple but i wouldnt be able to say for sure.

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Thats alot of questions lol, but from what i gathered you want windows apps on android? Im pretty sure you will find all your desires and then some. The stock music player for android isnt google play and is pretty clean and straight forward, but if you want more sound controls yes power amp is a good choice. For the camera, the note 4 has an updated UI that is supposed to be more simple but i wouldnt be able to say for sure.

I am asking for alternatives to this essential apps that I use on my windows phone. I am just trying to ask and see if there are notable/similar or better apps on android for what I am looking for. I did not like the way the note 4 camera app looked like, but I will definitely give it a shot. Thanks for the tips!

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
For music players, I'd probably recommend PowerAMP or Shuttle+. While not exactly the flatest UI, they're both pretty clean and work great.

You could always use the default feedly client on Android, but some notable alternatives would be Press or gReader, or change it up with Flipboard.

Camera is a tough one. Having lots of controls and a minimal interface doesn't always go hand in hand. The stock android (non-TW) camera is minimal, but doesn't offer lots of control and the photo quality isn't as good. Some good ones to try are Camera Zoom FX or Camera FV-5, which offer better photo quality but may get a bit used to using.

I don't know too many people who use a different YouTube app, mostly because you aren't guaranteed whether videos will consistently play on them. But there are plenty of possible replacements on the Play store, I'm sure. Also, if once rooted, there are special youtube ad blockers you can also use.

That seems like it will be a nice upgrade over my windows phone in terms of app quality. Does the music player have the controls on the lock screen? I tried the default feedly client on a nexus 7 (2013) and really did not like the performance at all. I was not very impressed, and did not like it very much, but maybe things are different now. Does Camera Zoom FX or Camera FV-5 use the same camera drivers as the TW camera? Because I do not want to miss out on IQ, at all, as the SGN4 camera is a important factor for my purchase.

thebrain2u

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used PowerAMP in a while, but for Shuttle+, it does show controls on the lock screen. I believe it's a feature that apps can use starting with Jelly Bean update.

Feedly has been updated quite a bit since it first came out, but of course, there are quite a few other apps that support feedly, so you'll have plenty to choose from.

Sadly, no aftermarket camera apps use the same drivers from the TW camera, this is because those TW drivers are proprietary so no one else is allowed to.

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used PowerAMP in a while, but for Shuttle+, it does show controls on the lock screen. I believe it's a feature that apps can use starting with Jelly Bean update.

Feedly has been updated quite a bit since it first came out, but of course, there are quite a few other apps that support feedly, so you'll have plenty to choose from.

Sadly, no aftermarket camera apps use the same drivers from the TW camera, this is because those TW drivers are proprietary so no one else is allowed to.

Is there anyway I could get a reskinned version of the TW camera app? Or is that just not possible. I would hope that since this is android, everything is possible, and there are no limits. I remember playing on android, and I saw that music controls were in the notification center which I thought was a super nice feature that was incorporated.

thebrain2u

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I've ever seen a ripped apk of TW camera that's been skinned, so I'm not sure if it's even possible.

Music controls in the notification center are nice and are usually featured in most apps, but again, this is dependent on the music app. I'm pretty many have added music controls into notification center now because it also guarantees the app doesn't get closed by the system memory management.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
That version of mytube is from a different developer, not the same as the windows phone developer, but I will check it out nonetheless. I want to stay away from google services, but when you mean stock music app do you mean the Samsung one (which I won't have after root) or do you mean the google one?

Personally the overall design of the youtube native app is so good i don't mind having ads which 90% of the time can be skipped in 3 seconds. Not a big Deal imo

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyway I could get a reskinned version of the TW camera app? Or is that just not possible. I would hope that since this is android, everything is possible, and there are no limits. I remember playing on android, and I saw that music controls were in the notification center which I thought was a super nice feature that was incorporated.

The Default Camera app Samsung gives you is decent and I love the Google camera with exception of it doesn't give the option to save to Micro SD cards which is why i use the Samsung camera app

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
The Default Camera app Samsung gives you is decent and I love the Google camera with exception of it doesn't give the option to save to Micro SD cards which is why i use the Samsung camera app

I would think that google would give you this choice. Even on windows phone you have choice to save to the SD card, that is very odd for android, but something that can be worked around nonetheless.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I would think that google would give you this choice. Even on windows phone you have choice to save to the SD card, that is very odd for android, but something that can be worked around nonetheless.
Google doesn't like sd cards lol. Haven't offered it in a nexus device for a long time and they basically killed saving apps to sd cards in kit Kat

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

lovenokia

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Google doesn't like sd cards lol. Haven't offered it in a nexus device for a long time and they basically killed saving apps to sd cards in kit Kat

They ought to bring back this functionality. It seems quite trivial as android is sold on lots of low-end devices and those devices have rather low storage capacities. Those devices would badly need the sd card. Regardless, the sd card I will be putting into my note 4 will get much use with music, video and photos.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
They ought to bring back this functionality. It seems quite trivial as android is sold on lots of low-end devices and those devices have rather low storage capacities. Those devices would badly need the sd card. Regardless, the sd card I will be putting into my note 4 will get much use with music, video and photos.
It was for security reasons

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Gah oh well. Does anyone know if the ATT nokia 4 will have a locked bootloader? How long will it take for root to be discovered also? What is a good approximation.
I can 99% say the AT&T note 4 will have a locked bootloader since most AT&T phones do

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Music app I recommend Neutron. Iu is a little cluttered but it does everything you need or more and is the loudest and clearest music app for Android.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana