09-26-2014 11:31 PM
32 12
tools
    Got a friend that works for Sammy...he had a GN4 last night...here's some impressions!

1. It's essentially the same size as the GN3. Maybe a hair thinner.
    2. The screen is AMAZING. Just unreal. If i look really hard...i can barely see a pixel on my GN3...but on the GN4...not a chance.
    3. The fake stitching is gone...and it's MUCH BETTER for it.
    4. The metal frame makes it a pleasure to hold. The bummer is many will put a case over it. It also makes me wonder for those who don't use a case if the white color on the metal frame will stay on or scratch off easily.
    5. It's still remarkably light.
    6. Did I mention that screen?!
    7. I ran a benchmark (Quadrant) and it scored just a hair shy of 25,000. Not a big jump from my GN3...but still good.
    8. Touchwiz seems to have a flatter theme. Def a few changes to get adjusted to.
    9. The backing is still fake leather...but it feels better to the touch.
    10. The camera took some amazing shots...but then again...so does my GN3.

All that to say...the case for upgrading isn't as strong as it was from the GN2 to the GN3...in my opinion. Screen is amazing, seems a tad faster, a bump in camera specs, and the build is nicer.

My 2 cents!
    reesh11, keyzlife, collett and 6 others like this.
    09-25-2014 02:06 PM
    Got a friend that works for Sammy...he had a GN4 last night...here's some impressions!

2. The screen is AMAZING. Just unreal. If i look really hard...i can barely see a pixel on my GN3...but on the GN4...not a chance.
    4. The metal frame makes it a pleasure to hold. The bummer is many will put a case over it. It also makes me wonder for those who don't use a case if the white color on the metal frame will stay on or scratch off easily.
    7. I ran a benchmark (Quadrant) and it scored just a hair shy of 25,000. Not a big jump from my GN3...but still good.
    8. Touchwiz seems to have a flatter theme. Def a few changes to get adjusted to.

All that to say...the case for upgrading isn't as strong as it was from the GN2 to the GN3...in my opinion. Screen is amazing, seems a tad faster, a bump in camera specs, and the build is nicer.

My 2 cents!
    Have you ever used a note 2? If so how would you compare the overall size of the note 4 to the note 2

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-25-2014 02:10 PM
    How's touchwiz?
    09-25-2014 02:11 PM
    Have you ever used a note 2? If so how would you compare the overall size of the note 4 to the note 2?

Owned the GN2 as well. It compares just like the GN3 does to the GN2. I think the GN3/4 are easier to hold than the GN2 was.
    09-25-2014 02:19 PM
    How's touchwiz?
    Touchwiz wasn't all that different. Like i mentioned...it seemed 'flatter' in design...kinda like Apple did with iOS7/8. I could see some KitKat influence on it though...such as the way it presents open programs like KitKat does. But overall...not that big of a change.
    09-25-2014 02:20 PM
    Have you ever used a note 2? If so how would you compare the overall size of the note 4 to the note 2
    Here are the dimensions and weights in inches and grams:

Note 4: 6.04 x 3.09 x .33, 176 g.
    Note 2: 5.95 x 3.17 x .37, 180 g.

I will give serious consideration to not using a case with the Note 4. I expect that the aluminum frame and soft back will provide a much better grip than my Note 2.

To OP: what do you mean by "white color on the metal frame"? Isn't it just bare (or lacquered or anodized) aluminum, natural color? This is the first mention I've seen of it being colored white.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    09-25-2014 03:02 PM
    Here are the dimensions and weights in inches and grams:

Note 4: 6.04 x 3.09 x .33, 176 g.
    Note 2: 5.95 x 3.17 x .37, 180 g.

I will give serious consideration to not using a case with the Note 4. I expect that the aluminum frame and soft back will provide a much better grip than my Note 2.

To OP: what do you mean by "white color on the metal frame"? Isn't it just bare (or lacquered or anodized) aluminum, natural color? This is the first mention I've seen of it being colored white.
    The angled edges of the frame were silver aluminum...but the flat face on the aluminum was the color of the phone...and so in this case...it was white like the phone was white.
    I'd post a pic but this forum won't let me cause my post count is 'too low'.
    09-25-2014 03:55 PM
    Any tips on early release???? I've got a upgrade and it's burning a hole in my pocket!!!!
    09-25-2014 04:01 PM
    The angled edges of the frame were silver aluminum...but the flat face on the aluminum was the color of the phone...and so in this case...it was white like the phone was white.
    I'd post a pic but this forum won't let me cause my post count is 'too low'.
    Use Tapatalk. I don't think post count matters then.
    09-25-2014 04:17 PM
    Here are a bunch of photos, and most of the shots of the white Note 4 do indeed show it with a white edge. Not so for the other colors.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 hands-on: Quad HD and metal - SlashGear
    TechNut79 and Tanooki2 like this.
    09-25-2014 04:49 PM
    I suspect that colored edge will get polished by some brave moders out there.
    09-25-2014 05:34 PM
    Did you happen to play around with the GPS?
    09-25-2014 06:11 PM

Thanks for sharing your first impressions. I've been waiting for a real review and not just the ones from IFA. That's great that you think the screen is so amazing.
    09-25-2014 06:35 PM

My 2 cents!

4. - It seems that all of the Note 4s have the "paint" on the side. I looked at a few videos of the black model, it has them too. Either way I hope they don't come off easily.
    09-25-2014 08:19 PM
    Or really easily! Either way! Look, I get Samsung had to do something to ensure the device didn't look too..."fruity," but its not going to hurt my feelings to ha e a pure silver metal band

09-25-2014 09:06 PM
    Did my post with the picture disappear?
    09-25-2014 09:28 PM
    Yes it did, along with the place holder posts
    09-25-2014 10:05 PM
    09-25-2014 10:05 PM
    4. - It seems that all of the Note 4s have the "paint" on the side. I looked at a few videos of the black model, it has them too. Either way I hope they don't come off easily.
    The third photo down on this page doesn't look like it's painted on the black Note 4, but it's hard to tell from a photo exactly what the finish is. They refer to it as being a "textured" finish. Galaxy Note 4 hands-on and first impressions
    09-25-2014 11:03 PM
    The third photo down on this page doesn't look like it's painted on the black Note 4, but it's hard to tell from a photo exactly what the finish is. They refer to it as being a "textured" finish. Galaxy Note 4 hands-on and first impressions
    Yeah, Idk. It's kind of dark. The 6th one down shows the bottom and part of the sides. It looks like they all will have that coating.
    09-25-2014 11:33 PM
    I'm pretty new here...so can anyone explain why the pic was removed? I can understand why the place holder posts were...
    09-26-2014 12:09 AM

Not that it matters but the Note 4 is actually 2/10 mm thicker.
    09-26-2014 07:05 AM
    Actually the Note 4 is too large to me, I don;t like it
    09-26-2014 09:08 AM
    Actually the Note 4 is too large to me, I don;t like it
    Are you going to post this in every thread now? Why are you even in this forum if you don't like the note 4.

Posted via Android Central App
    sqa4life, joganjani and AnnDroid like this.
    09-26-2014 09:32 AM
    Are you going to post this in every thread now? Why are you even in this forum if you don't like the note 4.

Posted via Android Central App
    Probably an iPhone user trying to troll.

brucedbr likes this.
    09-26-2014 09:53 AM
32 12