10-08-2014 08:55 PM
140 12345 ...
tools
    Has Samsung finally learned to ditch those Gingerbread/ICS era elements to their core apps, or is it pretty much business as usual with Touchwiz being a mixed design bag of GB/ICS/JB? Are the quick settings panel toggles still that atrocious florescent snot-green color with the cartoonish android 2.3 look?
    09-29-2014 11:15 AM
    How was it compared to the LG G3?
    09-29-2014 11:59 AM
    I think more than likely, they weren't expecting Apple to release the 6 that soon after the announcement. Usually, they've waited about a month or so before release.
    09-29-2014 12:00 PM
    I played with the note 4 and really liked but, the touchwiz is what kills the device for me. Being on ATT, I am hesistant to buy the phone until root is achieved, as this phone with AOSP would be perfect for me. I did notice some lag while using the phone like in the web browser while i was scrolling, but I am hopeful that this is just because of the demo software bogging things down.

Has this been true with earlier iterations of samsung devices?
    09-29-2014 12:24 PM
    Great thread guys. I can't wait to get my hands on this thing. Unfortunately, my local best buy doesn't have one on display. I pre-ordered on AT&T and since this is my first Samsung device since owning the Moment on Sprint which seems like ages ago, I really hope they don't disappoint. It was a hard toss up between this and the new Moto X, but I think I made the right decision. I'm subscribing to this thread, and hope to see more peoples input about the Best Buy display!

Only have one question -- How is the browser performance?
    09-29-2014 02:00 PM
    Great thread guys. I can't wait to get my hands on this thing. Unfortunately, my local best buy doesn't have one on display. I pre-ordered on AT&T and since this is my first Samsung device since owning the Moment on Sprint which seems like ages ago, I really hope they don't disappoint. It was a hard toss up between this and the new Moto X, but I think I made the right decision. I'm subscribing to this thread, and hope to see more peoples input about the Best Buy display!

Only have one question -- How is the browser performance?
    I personally couldn't get on the internet. It wasn't connected to any source of wifi which I thought was strange.

Posted via Android Central App
    Adam Sawyer likes this.
    09-29-2014 02:13 PM
    I played with the note 4 and really liked but, the touchwiz is what kills the device for me. Being on ATT, I am hesistant to buy the phone until root is achieved, as this phone with AOSP would be perfect for me. I did notice some lag while using the phone like in the web browser while i was scrolling, but I am hopeful that this is just because of the demo software bogging things down.

Has this been true with earlier iterations of samsung devices?
    Have you try Nova launcher?
    09-29-2014 02:21 PM
    I personally couldn't get on the internet. It wasn't connected to any source of wifi which I thought was strange.

I noticed the same thing. Strange.

09-29-2014 02:24 PM
    I think more than likely, they weren't expecting Apple to release the 6 that soon after the announcement. Usually, they've waited about a month or so before release.
    Apple normally releases 10 days after announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-29-2014 02:26 PM
    Check those Best Buy floor models for "GapGate"
    Tarek53180 likes this.
    09-29-2014 02:28 PM
    It's worse than "bendgate". Samsung shouldn't have made so much fun of Apple, heh heh!

09-29-2014 02:31 PM
    I was just at my local BB and no gaps to speak of. I didn't try to stick anything in the supposed gap, but I wasn't able to feel one.

Note 2 via Android Central App
    Preach2k, shaleem and Harlemknight like this.
    09-29-2014 03:24 PM
    It's worse than "bendgate". Samsung shouldn't have made so much fun of Apple, heh heh!

my note 3 has a slightly gap on the left side of the screen and I've been using it for almost a yr without any issues. My son abused it (through it on the floor) every time he lost to the "Minion Rush" game. It's still in great condition though I have a bumper case on it since day 1. I'll give it to my son as a game device once I got the Note 4
    09-29-2014 03:51 PM
    1) It's much faster than my Note 3 ever was out of the box. I would say in terms of moving around from app to app, faster than anything out there today...easily as quick as my 2014 MacBook Pro Retina which cost me about $3200.

2) Sound is fantastic, with what sounds like a separate tweeter built in...no distortion at all and the high end is very crisp! You can hear the symbals very distinctly!

3) The polished aluminum bezel is slick...with a very nice overall feel on the phone. Doesn't feel at all cheap like a Note 3; in fact, quite the opposite now. Would be really cool if the bezel is one piece and whatever was in between the polished portion on top and bottom could be removed and polished.

4) The phone stands about 4-5 mm taller than my Note 3, and thickness looks about the same.

5) The UI looks more like the S5 than the current Note 3.

6) Messaging app has some cool new features and a cool new look!

7) The camera app was very cool, with the new photo to text features!

8) The screen resolution and brightness was beyond the S5 and an iPhone 6 I had in my hand at the time. Unbeatable and super bright!

9) It has the new anti-bend option built in.

10) It's not an iPhone!

I don't know if it's 4.4.4 that makes the speed difference, or if it's the phone itself, but holy crap, that thing was lightning f_cking fast! Did I mention how fast it was? Instant - no lag.

I'm buying this phone - I want the fingerprint scanner and all the other cool features! I just sold one of my Note 3's and will get one as soon as they are available in October.
    Good to see that finally samsung's touchwiz cannot slow down the highest end of specs. Yay for the snap805!
    09-29-2014 04:59 PM
    I highly doubt your Intel about the early release date on the 11th or 12th. I've never seen a phone release on a Saturday or Sunday, but I could be wrong and I hope I'm wrong.
    The Palm Pre was released on a Saturday, but maybe I shouldn't have gone there.

N3 via AC App
    09-29-2014 05:34 PM
    No noticeable gaps.

N3 via AC App
    09-29-2014 05:40 PM
    Am I correct to assume that the Air Command function of the S-Pen doesn't work in Chrome? It only works on the Sammies browser?
    fredwardnelson likes this.
    09-29-2014 06:11 PM
    The Palm Pre was released on a Saturday, but maybe I shouldn't have gone there.

N3 via AC App
    I actually bought the Palm Pre on release day in June 2008 on a Saturday morning. Oh the days of Palm.
    45Wheelgun likes this.
    09-29-2014 06:19 PM
    Am I correct to assume that the Air Command function of the S-Pen doesn't work in Chrome? It only works on the Sammies browser?
    That's what I thought, I wonder too.
    09-29-2014 07:06 PM
    That's what I thought, I wonder too.
    That's accurate as far as the Note 3 is concerned, but I didn't check for it on the Note 4. I did check to see if Samsung added the ability to tap the home button with the S Pen -- they didn't.

N3 via AC App
    fredwardnelson likes this.
    09-29-2014 07:28 PM
    I noticed the same thing. Strange.

Me too.
    09-29-2014 07:56 PM
    I suspect that none of the demo units have Internet access. The one I played with in West Palm Beach didn't and as I mentioned earlier, there was no phone app either. Google Voice search is also disabled.

There was no lag getting to either Chrome of the Internet browser, so hard to say if there's any lag or not, but my Note 3 is pretty seamless. I would be very surprised to see lag anywhere on that device - certainly had none to speak of when I played with it.
    It had no gaps and neither do either of the two Note 3's I have.
    09-30-2014 12:17 AM
    We need a best buy here
    09-30-2014 12:53 AM
    awesome
    09-30-2014 12:58 AM
    I actually bought the Palm Pre on release day in June 2008 on a Saturday morning. Oh the days of Palm.
    I actually enjoyed the Pre when it first came out. I thought the OS had some potential....
    09-30-2014 02:29 AM
140 12345 ...