Note 4 Camera Quality?

deosculate

May 21, 2011
Visit site
For anyone who has been able to be hands on with the Note 4, any thoughts on camera quality? On paper it looks good but I've read product reviews expecting sub-par camera performance. Would like to hear from someone first hand.

Tired of my friends (and wife!) sending beautiful pictures from their new iPhone 6's.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to read a negative review on the quality of the Note 4 camera. The S5 still ranks near the top as far as overall quality goes. The Note 4 only improves upon that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Willn

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I just went to bb earlier tonight and played around with the camera a little. The front face camera was a little better than I expected, pretty clear for a front camera. The rear camera was sharp but not much different than the s5 that my buddy has. I did however use the zoom in and the focus was impressively steady due to the stabilization feature. The auto focus was a little touchy, I had to repress a couple time to get it to focus on what I wanted it to. I've got no real complaints though, pictures were clear in well lit bb store, the real test though is night shots.

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting for reviews. I've high expectation this time in view it's using Sony sensor & comes with image stabilizer plus with aperture of f1.9 for low light situation! Samsung, you better not disappoint us! haha

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Still waiting for reviews. I've high expectation this time in view it's using Sony sensor & comes with image stabilizer plus with aperture of f1.9 for low light situation! Samsung, you better not disappoint us! haha
the f/1.9 aperture is on the front facing camera. The rear facing camera has aperture of f/2.2 which is still good considering the lens is 4.8mm.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I just went to bb earlier tonight and played around with the camera a little. The front face camera was a little better than I expected, pretty clear for a front camera. The rear camera was sharp but not much different than the s5 that my buddy has. I did however use the zoom in and the focus was impressively steady due to the stabilization feature. The auto focus was a little touchy, I had to repress a couple time to get it to focus on what I wanted it to. I've got no real complaints though, pictures were clear in well lit bb store, the real test though is night shots.

I tried the N4 camera at Best Buy and pretty much agree with your assessment. The focusing wasn't as fast as I hoped, particularly as compared to the 6 plus, which I tried at an Apple store last week. The optical image stabilization worked, but again, not as well as with a 6 plus that didn't seem to get a blurry picture, even with intentional movement. However, the N4 focusing is a definite improvement over the N3's. The pictures were definitely sharper. Unfortunately, we will have to wait to find out whether low light performance is better or not. That has been a Note 3 weakness. A Russian review showed it was better in that regard, but I want to hear from others, particularly as to how it also compares with the low light performance of the 6 plus.

Posted via Android Central App

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't we we should ever expect a Samsung phone camera to be as good as an Iphone camera. The real question is whether each Samsung camera is a solid improvements over the older generation Samsung cameras. If so, that's good enough for me.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't we we should ever expect a Samsung phone camera to be as good as an Iphone camera. The real question is whether each Samsung camera is a solid improvements over the older generation Samsung cameras. If so, that's good enough for me.

Why shouldn't a Samsung camera phone with 16 megapixels and optical image stabilization perform even better than an IPhone camera with only 8 megapixels? That my real question. Samsung, in addition to phones, also makes stand alone cameras. Shouldn't they know more about making better camera phones than Apple who doesn't make stand alone cameras?

I hope my comparison of the Note 4 camera to that of the 6plus isn't born out by others, but if it is, expect the Note 4 to have some stiff competition, for once, with another big screen phone. I know the 6 plus can't compare with all the other features of the Note 4, but a lot of people owning Notes don't use them anyway (a survey of Note owners showed only 10 percent used the S-pen) yet do use the camera.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

The camera on my S5 is better than that the iPhone 5S camera. I haven't used the iPhone 6 camera so I don't know how it compares.

I'm happy with the camera on my S5 so I'm sure I'll like the note 4 camera.

Posted from my S5

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Oh well. Looks like I will need to build an adapter for a good optical zoom lens. With 16M pixel this thing demands some good glass for zooming. I have an old Minolta 100-300mm zoom I will start work on tomorrow. I sure wish ATT would ship my new phone!

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
the f/1.9 aperture is on the front facing camera. The rear facing camera has aperture of f/2.2 which is still good considering the lens is 4.8mm.

Doh! What a bummer! :( Seriously Samsung, do you think Selfie is more important?? :(

I was expecting f/1.9 for the rear camera. At f/2.2 it's similar to Note 3. With the Sony OIS sensor, hope it will give us much better result than Note 3 especially in low light situations.

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Good news guys! Some samples photos have been posted in the net & they look gorgeous (well, *ahem* at least much better than Note 3??). There you go. :)

Official Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 camera samples

The HDR samples look great! The nightscape looks stunning! We need more night shot samples pls!!! If anyone found them pls post them here. :)

P.S. Can anyone confirm the rear camera aperture cos I read in another article that mentioned f/2.0!

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to read a negative review on the quality of the Note 4 camera. The S5 still ranks near the top as far as overall quality goes. The Note 4 only improves upon that.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It would be nice to expect the Note 4 to be that much better than the S5, but the Note 3's phone wasn't really that great when compared to the Note 2. Low light pictures were horrendous. I initially thought that people were being too critical of the Note 3's camera, but after 1 year of ownership I can admit that I was wrong.