TouchWiz on Note 4 still lags

LoopDoGG79

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the Tmobile version Note 4. Stock, unrooted. Using Nova Launcher. For the most part its pretty slick and fluid. The changes on the video helped. I still see an occasional lag when scrolling or typing. ( Using Swiftkey) Just now, when I scrolled in developer settings, it lagged for a second before scrolling down to the animation settings. Anybody else experience this?

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
It's just the same thing over and over again. People complain there's lag, others come out to defend Touchwiz and swear there's no lag. A few acuse those that complain as being iOS sheep. A few swear the lag isn't even that bad an will likely improve with the next version of Android. Samsung piles more garbage on top of the next version of Android and the cycle repeats itself.

This is why I bought a moto X back in, 2013 after having an S3 and will be moving on to the Nexus 6.

It's the same crap, different device. Even in the day of the S3 you could find people going "Oh, no maybe older versions of Touchwiz were bad but it's improved." Meanwhile the S3 forum is, like, 90% complaints. 😒 I'll only recommend Samsung phones to those who root or leave the screen off most of the day.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
It's just the same thing over and over again. People complain there's lag, others come out to defend Touchwiz and swear there's no lag. A few acuse those that complain as being iOS sheep. A few swear the lag isn't even that bad an will likely improve with the next version of Android. Samsung piles more garbage on top of the next version of Android and the cycle repeats itself.

This is why I bought a moto X back in, 2013 after having an S3 and will be moving on to the Nexus 6.

It's the same crap, different device. Even in the day of the S3 you could find people going "Oh, no maybe older versions of Touchwiz were bad but it's improved." Meanwhile the S3 forum is, like, 90% complaints. 😒 I'll only recommend Samsung phones to those who root or leave the screen off most of the day.
I can understand your frustration, but I can say that the "lag" issue is how people see it. I see lag, but it's a split second and in most cases, it isn't really perceivable. But I'm starting to believe that this "lag" problem is beginning to become a pile on. And that's unfair. I would say the same about HTC's camera on the One, battery life on the Nexus 5, and bendgate for the iPhone.If you own one of these devices and are not experiencing those problems or at least notice or bothered by these issues then there is no problem. If it is unnerving to you, get another phone.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

yellowcanary73

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I've actually have started having lag the last couple days just noticed it really bad in the stock keyboard was a Few letters behind and I've only download seven programs and was when I first got it have also notice less battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ariozo

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Use the N4 and my 6+ atm. And Tw have lagg and it will always be there if not Samsung optimise it better..:) Still like the N4 tho and right now I just wait for my nexus 6 to try it out. n4 was better at start and get more "lagg" when you have use it and have much programs and files on it, and battery drain also appears under load. But guess we will see if some of it get better with 5.0. :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

You hit the nail on the head. People (fanboys) would have you believe that you have the only lemon. I have a Note 4. Overall, I like it and will keep it, but the fact of the matter is that it's just not the most responsive phone especially when taking the specs of the device into consideration. My Nexus 5, which admittedly does not have nearly as many features, smokes the Note 4 when it comes to responsiveness and that's straight out the box with zero changes.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Or, you know, with Android you can just use a different Home screen, like Nova. That's the great thing about Android. there's no reason to use whatever 'stock' your phone manufacturer gives you as there are so many ways of changing or customizing Android.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Or, you know, with Android you can just use a different Home screen, like Nova. That's the great thing about Android. there's no reason to use whatever 'stock' your phone manufacturer gives you as there are so many ways of changing or customizing Android.
What would that solve? At that point you've only changed the Touchwiz launcher. It still isn't going to do anything about Touchwiz as a whole and it sure as heck won't reduce lag. Although I guess one could install a theme to at least have decent looking icons on the phone.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
What would that solve? At that point you've only changed the Touchwiz launcher. It still isn't going to do anything about Touchwiz as a whole and it sure as heck won't reduce lag. Although I guess one could install a theme to at least have decent looking icons on the phone.
What's wrong with the icons on Touch Wiz?

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
What's wrong with the icons on Touch Wiz?

Eh, personal taste. I'm just not a fan of the way they look. They look ugly to me. But I'm hard to please in that regard. I think especially since the whole flat design trend has started to take over, I view Samsung's take on Android to look a bit old fashioned.

My personal favorite icon sets are Goolors Square (which I always thought had potential, but I didn't start to use that until Google started moving towards their Material Design) and Lustre. I like everything kind of unified, simple and colorful these days.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Eh, personal taste. I'm just not a fan of the way they look. They look ugly to me. But I'm hard to please in that regard. I think especially since the whole flat design trend has started to take over, I view Samsung's take on Android to look a bit old fashioned.

My personal favorite icon sets are Goolors Square (which I always thought had potential, but I didn't start to use that until Google started moving towards their Material Design) and Lustre. I like everything kind of unified, simple and colorful these days.
Gotcha.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried Nova (or any other launcher, especially the light ones) in place of TouchWiz? While it might not be as good as completely uninstalling touchwiz, you can force stop them since you have a running launcher. IIRC Android only makes calls to your default launcher so once you have something other than TouchWiz, the phone won't use it unless you re-enable it as a default.

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried Nova (or any other launcher, especially the light ones) in place of TouchWiz? While it might not be as good as completely uninstalling touchwiz, you can force stop them since you have a running launcher. IIRC Android only makes calls to your default launcher so once you have something other than TouchWiz, the phone won't use it unless you re-enable it as a default.
I'm very familiar with alternative Launchers. I have purchased the pro versions of both Apex & Nova and use Nova currently and have tested others such as Buzz Launcher briefly on my phone.

I think we're on two slightly different pages here though. From what I understand Touchwiz goes deeper than just the Launcher.

It extends to your Task Manager [1], That little swipe to screen shot gesture [1] (per the video), and a host of other gestures and features that don't simply disappear by changing the launcher (i.e. changes to settings, notification panel, lockscreen, the ability to change the font globally, etc)

The launcher is a huge part of Touchwiz, but Touchwiz doesn't seem to stop with just the launcher.

So I don't see how changing the launcher makes a difference theoretically and I know that in practice I haven't experienced a difference as I've used Apex on my GS3 as well and as my Moto X and so no difference in performance.

EDIT: I thought this was a really good definition of what it is "Touchwiz is more than a simple launcher!

It's a framework ... a set of functions, developped by and forSamsung, available only to the*Samsung*devs.

Those functions allow them to create Samsung's own launcher, Touchwiz UI, their unique Camera App, a few more apps as well as a whole bunch of Android customization specifically for the GS3 or any other Android phone they come up with."[3]

After all lets not forget that It's Touchwiz Nature 'UX' which, from my understanding is a bit broader than the UI.

[1] https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ppsandservices%2Ftouchwiz.html&token=_jvHh-gW

[2] http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...ing-launcher-am-i-still-running-touchwiz.html (not referenced directly)

[3] http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1986282

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm very familiar with alternative Launchers. I have purchased the pro versions of both Apex & Nova and use Nova currently and have tested others such as Buzz Launcher briefly on my phone.

I think we're on two slightly different pages here though. From what I understand Touchwiz goes deeper than just the Launcher.

It extends to your Task Manager [1], That little swipe to screen shot gesture [1] (per the video), and a host of other gestures and features that don't simply disappear by changing the launcher (i.e. changes to settings, notification panel, lockscreen, the ability to change the font globally, etc)

The launcher is a huge part of Touchwiz, but Touchwiz doesn't seem to stop with just the launcher.

So I don't see how changing the launcher makes a difference theoretically and I know that in practice I haven't experienced a difference as I've used Apex on my GS3 as well and as my Moto X and so no difference in performance.

[1] https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ppsandservices%2Ftouchwiz.html&token=etMqulxp

[2] http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...ing-launcher-am-i-still-running-touchwiz.html (not referenced directly)
I win agree with you. Changing the launcher doesn't achieve much when it comes to performance of the device. Sucks that Touch Wizjust doesn't cut it for you.I, on the other hand prefer it. I kicked myself last year when I even traded with someone on Craigslist my Note 3 for their " new in box" Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 was sweet and fast and very cool. And I didn't have the battery problems that some others were having. But I missed my Note 3 terribly. Then I was able to get my hands on an iPhone 5S and was happy with that for a while. But I still missed my Note. Then this year I ordered the iPhone 6 Plus and was very excited about it. But my delivery date was 2 months away and I became impatient. And guess what device released right in the middle of my wait? Yep, you guessed it, the Note 4. I preordered and received it on launch day. 5 days after getting the Note 4 and loving it, guess what came in the mail? Yep, the iPhone 6 Plus. I went back and forth for an entire weekend testing out both devices and I couldn't make up my mind. But I had decided after a few days to return the Note 4. Just a week after, I was missing the Note 4 And thought to myself "you did it again"you had the phone you really wanted in your hands and you gave it up again. I let the "lag" talk get the better of me. And a reminder from my 6 year-old daughter of how cool ''the other phone with the pen" was promptedme to return my iPhone 6 Plus and pickup the Note 4 yet again. This time, not going to be so foolish and give upon it. Not going to get discouraged by "lag" talk or people's dislike of Touch Wiz. Or people's indifferent opinions concerning the camera and the quality of photos it takes. My Note 4 is perfect for me. And it is for a lot of people, but we allow others to press upon us the contrary and it gets our doubtful minds racing. Not going to happen to me this time. Not again. Sorry for the length of this response. Just had a lot to scribble out suddenly. :)

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I win agree with you. Changing the launcher doesn't achieve much when it comes to performance of the device. Sucks that Touch Wizjust doesn't cut it for you.I, on the other hand prefer it. I kicked myself last year when I even traded with someone on Craigslist my Note 3 for their " new in box" Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 was sweet and fast and very cool. And I didn't have the battery problems that some others were having. But I missed my Note 3 terribly. Then I was able to get my hands on an iPhone 5S and was happy with that for a while. But I still missed my Note. Then this year I ordered the iPhone 6 Plus and was very excited about it. But my delivery date was 2 months away and I became impatient. And guess what device released right in the middle of my wait? Yep, you guessed it, the Note 4. I preordered and received it on launch day. 5 days after getting the Note 4 and loving it, guess what came in the mail? Yep, the iPhone 6 Plus. I went back and forth for an entire weekend testing out both devices and I couldn't make up my mind. But I had decided after a few days to return the Note 4. Just a week after, I was missing the Note 4 And thought to myself "you did it again"you had the phone you really wanted in your hands and you gave it up again. I let the "lag" talk get the better of me. And a reminder from my 6 year-old daughter of how cool ''the other phone with the pen" was promptedme to return my iPhone 6 Plus and pickup the Note 4 yet again. This time, not going to be so foolish and give upon it. Not going to get discouraged by "lag" talk or people's dislike of Touch Wiz. Or people's indifferent opinions concerning the camera and the quality of photos it takes. My Note 4 is perfect for me. And it is for a lot of people, but we allow others to press upon us the contrary and it gets our doubtful minds racing. Not going to happen to me this time. Not again. Sorry for the length of this response. Just had a lot to scribble out suddenly. :)

Smart man...

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis