05-29-2015 03:20 AM
115 1234 ...
tools
    AC found something in the manual for the Note 4....

Galaxy Note 4 screen gap 'a necessary manufacturing feature,' says manual | Android Central
    09-30-2014 03:23 PM
    Just went back to Best Buy this morning to play around with the display models and none of them had gaps. Sounds like a bad batch made it past QA. Either way I'm not worried about my pre-order; oh wait.... I'm canceling now!!! Just kidding.

We'll see, in the off chance there's something wrong when it arrives will just return it for a new one. Worst case, I'll just keep rockin my Note 2 longer.
    When I was reading the article linked by the OP, it appeared they rushed into the market there to combat Apple. Although it is true that things heading for the USA may have already been made and can't be fixed, it could also be true that this particular batch in Korea has nothing to do with the general manufacturing run heading for the USA and it's already been fixed. I guess we'll find out.
    09-30-2014 03:45 PM
    Time is money. If I pay $700+ for a phone, I expect it to be free of flaws/issues. Don't have time to deal with sending it back or switching to a loaner, etc.
    It happens with all things and all technology. When you get into production of millions of units quality assurance becomes more difficult. The only concern I have about this, according to the article, Samsung is already stating in their manual that the phone has this gap and it's normal, so I am not sure they will warranty anything?
    09-30-2014 05:43 PM
    I too saw the Samsung manual article. In light of this I have cancelled my pre-order. I will instead go to a store and purchase a Note 4 I can see doesn't have this "feature".
    rvhs03 likes this.
    09-30-2014 05:48 PM
    Testing the gaps video:

monsieurms likes this.
    09-30-2014 06:10 PM
    Wow. I wonder if this is why it isn't IP67 certified. Won't lie I'm a bit worried about it but I'll probably still end up going through with my pre order. Hopefully, they will create some sort of repair option for down the road if it becomes a problem.
    09-30-2014 06:42 PM
    It just looks like people are looking really hard for a "flaw" that isn't there.

Note 2 via Android Central App
    09-30-2014 06:44 PM
    I am wondering if it isn't there to allow for the expansion or contraction of materials in response to temperature. That's why there are cracks in sidewalks.
    TechNut79 and TransAm461 like this.
    09-30-2014 06:57 PM
    Maybe it's design is to give a little more protection to the screen. Sometimes people lay their phones down face first or if it falls, providing a little distance from surface to screen

Posted via Android Central App
    09-30-2014 07:10 PM
    So there's a gap right where there's supposed to be a gap. What am I missing here?
    TechNut79, jroc and monsieurms like this.
    09-30-2014 07:10 PM
    nothing; people arent happy unless they are complaining about something
    TechNut79 likes this.
    09-30-2014 07:20 PM
    A year ago there was a rush of initial reports that the Note 3 home button was defective, with a few people gleefully taking pictures and posting them to the internet. This turned out to be an anomaly and anyone who wanted to exchange their phone with a loose home button (as opposed to posting pictures on the internet for clicks) were able to.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Home Button Defective?

Haters gonna hate.
    TechNut79, bwright16 and Yk Chin like this.
    09-30-2014 07:23 PM
    It just looks like people are looking really hard for a "flaw" that isn't there.

To justify their eyephone purchase

TechNut79, bwright16 and worwig like this.
    09-30-2014 07:55 PM
    So I went to bb tonight and specifically looked at 3 different N4s and yes I did see a very small gap between the glass and the aluminum frame. All 3 display models had a gap, each one was more pronounced in different spots. One of the the gap seemed larger on the top and the next model the gap seemed larger on the side. Why? I don't know, maybe just flexing of the aluminum frame. Who knows how many times people juggled the displays and dropped them on the counter. Bottom line though Samsung says these gaps are supposed to be there and they really are very small. I don't really understand what all the fuss is? I think the apple fans are stretching pretty far out there to find a flaw in the N4 since it beats them in just about every category. I would take a small gap over an aluminum soda can any day.
    09-30-2014 09:18 PM
    I too saw the Samsung manual article. In light of this I have cancelled my pre-order. I will instead go to a store and purchase a Note 4 I can see doesn't have this "feature".
    ^^^this

09-30-2014 09:40 PM
    Just went back to Best Buy this morning to play around with the display models and none of them had gaps. Sounds like a bad batch made it past QA. Either way I'm not worried about my pre-order; oh wait.... I'm canceling now!!! Just kidding.

We'll see, in the off chance there's something wrong when it arrives will just return it for a new one. Worst case, I'll just keep rockin my Note 2 longer.
    Best buy has functional display units??

09-30-2014 10:14 PM
    That they do.

09-30-2014 10:16 PM
    Can't'the wait to go to best buy tomorrow!
    09-30-2014 10:25 PM
    So I went to bb tonight and specifically looked at 3 different N4s and yes I did see a very small gap between the glass and the aluminum frame. All 3 display models had a gap, each one was more pronounced in different spots. One of the the gap seemed larger on the top and the next model the gap seemed larger on the side. Why? I don't know, maybe just flexing of the aluminum frame. Who knows how many times people juggled the displays and dropped them on the counter. Bottom line though Samsung says these gaps are supposed to be there and they really are very small. I don't really understand what all the fuss is? I think the apple fans are stretching pretty far out there to find a flaw in the N4 since it beats them in just about every category. I would take a small gap over an aluminum soda can any day.
    I don't think that an Apple fan started this thread.
    And Samsung says that these irregular gaps are supposed to be there? Wow! And Fandroids talk about iSheep? Lol!
    grover5 likes this.
    09-30-2014 10:46 PM
    And Samsung says that these irregular gaps are supposed to be there? Wow! And Fandroids talk about iSheep? Lol!
    An Apple fan most certainly did not start this thread lol. I have an iPad mini tho...don't judge me

grover5 and RSPC like this.
    09-30-2014 10:52 PM
    I know, right? Samsung obviously traveled back in time and updated their manual to reference the gap. Good news though, a time travel app will be included on the Note 5.
    reesh11 likes this.
    09-30-2014 11:03 PM
    I know, right? Samsung obviously traveled back in time and updated their manual to reference the gap. Good news though, a time travel app will be included on the Note 5.
    STravel
    reesh11 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-30-2014 11:52 PM
    I read that someone said that the same gap feature is reported in the manual of the Note 2 & 3. I no longer have my Note 2 so I cannot confirm this. I assume it's on page 180 as well if anyone still has their manual to their Note.
    Blackintuit likes this.
    10-01-2014 01:00 AM
    I read that someone said that the same gap feature is reported in the manual of the Note 2 & 3. I no longer have my Note 2 so I cannot confirm this. I assume it's on page 180 as well if anyone still has their manual to their Note.
    I have all paperwork, but nothing goes up to 180.

10-01-2014 01:08 AM
    Just be sure to check your phone once you receive it and send it back if it is a problem. Even if it is a small gap, it can and will cause serious issues down the road. It could be isolated incidents though. You cannot gauge if it is a design flaw just by a couple phones being that way out of millions. These are being made by near-slave wage workers after all.

To those saying Apple propaganda: you must live very sad and depressing lives if you are seeing boogeyman everywhere and believe everything the media feeds to you just from a few unspecified reports.
    10-01-2014 04:26 AM
115 1234 ...