The Note 4 has always on Google Now listening

David Lees1

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if everyone knows this, I sure didn't, but the Note 4 has always on Google Now listening, similar to the Moto X.

Pretty excited to hear this.

There is a Note 4 AMA thread over on reddit where OP has confirmed this feature and posted a screen shot of the settings.

jps1012

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if everyone knows this, I sure didn't, but the Note 4 has always on Google Now listening, similar to the Moto X.

Pretty excited to hear this.

There is a Note 4 AMA thread over on reddit where OP has confirmed this feature and posted a screen shot of the settings.

I was happy to hear that too

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

So it responds to "Ok Google" all the time no matter what is on the screen or what app is running? Does it respond when the screen is off?

Currently, my Samsung S3 may be in the home screen to use the "Ok Google" voice prompt.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Oh god, i hope there is a way to disable this completely.

Its a drag on battery, and a nightmare on privacy.

I dont need to be a walking google ad machine. Whatever tiny convenience gain is not worth the cost.

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It's one of the first things I'm going to disable (Google Now). I really have no use/need for it. I'm also not comfortable giving Google access to my location and web history (needed for it to do its thing). It just feels kind of creepy to me. Besides, I've always found it much more useful and efficient to get needed info on demand by launching a specific app or just go to a specific website. Bam! Done. No waiting for something to be predicted and presented to me. :)

Google Now is more efficient than going to a particular website to get information. Definitely. You can ask it directly instead of waiting for it to "learn" what you search for and present it. What the score of the game, the weather, etc. Comes right up. I can understand your concern about giving Google all of your information.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It's one of the first things I'm going to disable (Google Now). I really have no use/need for it. I'm also not comfortable giving Google access to my location and web history (needed for it to do its thing). It just feels kind of creepy to me. Besides, I've always found it much more useful and efficient to get needed info on demand by launching a specific app or just go to a specific website. Bam! Done. No waiting for something to be predicted and presented to me. :)

Google will not stop. It now demands that all makers enable always listening to be licensed to use google play store, and pre-install more and more google bloats whether or not they are useful for users. It also begins to deploy full screen ad. I see no way out of this, google is more and more explicit in its intention to basically become a super big brother, and tell you "they know better than yourslef about whats good for you", more or less like apple.

Samsung and others will have fewer and fewer options in the long run until they come up with an OS (AOSP based or not) with their own ecosystem.

I am testing of transitioning to FFOS at the moment, I purchased an ZTE OPEN C for $69 a few days ago. It works fine. All I hope, is netflix/hulu will be on board some time down the road, there is nothing else I need from a mobile phone anyway.

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Cool feature, but I'll be turning it off. The difference here being that the moto has a dedicated chip for the always listening. Without it I think this could be quite a battery drain.

Posted via Android Central App

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Google will not stop. It now demands that all makers enable always listening to be licensed to use google play store, and pre-install more and more google bloats whether or not they are useful for users. It also begins to deploy full screen ad. I see no way out of this, google is more and more explicit in its intention to basically become a super big brother, and tell you "they know better than yourslef about whats good for you", more or less like apple.

Samsung and others will have fewer and fewer options in the long run until they come up with an OS (AOSP based or not) with their own ecosystem.

I am testing of transitioning to FFOS at the moment, I purchased an ZTE OPEN C for $69 a few days ago. It works fine. All I hope, is netflix/hulu will be on board some time down the road, there is nothing else I need from a mobile phone anyway.

samsung has it's own app store

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Cool feature, but I'll be turning it off. The difference here being that the moto has a dedicated chip for the always listening. Without it I think this could be quite a battery drain.

It shouldn't be. I leave always listening on on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and it doesn't noticeably increase battery consumption. The n3 uses s voice though, but the always listening feature works fine.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Google already knows everything about you, so if you're not doing anything illegal, I wouldn't worry about them "knowing" where you are

I assume you can change the "OK Google" activator to something else..

I've been using this with Nova on my M8 for awhile, and its a really nice feature

exdrinker

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Always listening is not a huge drain on the Note 3. The benefits can be as small as being able to know the weather when your hands are dirty to as large as being able to call someone from across the room in the event of a medical emergency. This is a feature that can actually make life or death differences in certain instances.

David Lees1

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Google already knows everything about you, so if you're not doing anything illegal, I wouldn't worry about them "knowing" where you are

I assume you can change the "OK Google" activator to something else..

I've been using this with Nova on my M8 for awhile, and its a really nice feature

This.

All they want to do is serve you up ads that you may like, I can live with it for all the free functionality they provide, honestly.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

The snapdragon 805 has dedicated low power chip for always listening. It is a feature I am looking forward to but will probably end up never using it.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/audio

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1