Nexus 6/X or Note 4?

miked433

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello all!

Quick question for everyone. I know i'm posting this is the Note 4 section but was wanting to know if anyone was considering the Nexus 6/X from Motorola with a 5.92" screen and stock android against the Note 4 with 5.7" screen and TouchWiz.

Personally I was kinda bummed when I read the rumor that the Nexus 6/X will still have the Snagdragon 805 with 32bit processor and not the 64bit to go along with Android L.

What are your thoughts? :cool:

jps1012

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
These are the 2 phones I am debating too! I am coming from an iPhone and am so torn. I was all set to get the nexus 6 for the clean stock android experience and quick updates but I fell in love with the note 4 screen. I have read horror stories of touchwiz which is making this a tough decision.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
What horror stories? the google fans who made up things to scare people? There are hundreds of million of TW users, im sure most of are very happy with the functions of TW.

I am not buying a naked google phone and turn myself into a walking google ad machine. It may just be me, but I do care and think everybody should, more or less.

jps1012

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
What horror stories? the google fans who made up things to scare people? There are hundreds of million of TW users, im sure most of are very happy with the functions of TW.

I am not buying a naked google phone and turn myself into a walking google ad machine. It may just be me, but I do care and think everybody should, more or less.

I guess in general to stay away from TW because it causes lag and unnecessary bloat.

If I get it through AT&T would I be able to root and remove AT&T bloat and some samsung stuff?

Do you lose the ability to use the S pen if you root and use a custom ROM? If I use Nova launcher would I lose S pen use?

Thanks!

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Note 4. And I'll be ditching my nexus 5 for it. Quad hd and s pen make all the difference. Vanilla android is some what over rated. I think you get far more functionality from touch wiz.

Posted via Android Central App

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the 5.9" Nexus screen but the S Pen seals the deal for me to get a Note 4. If the upcoming Nexus 6 had a pen I would consider it.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The larger size is what I prefer. I don't use my phone for watching videos or surfing online so while the AMOLED screen is preferable I'd trade it for a larger screen size.

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I was interested in the nexus as well, but I've decided against it mainly due to it having the same camera as the Moto X (2014) and possibly subpar battery. The note, for me, has all the advantages with the camera, battery, screen and of course the spen.

jps1012

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I was interested in the nexus as well, but I've decided against it mainly due to it having the same camera as the Moto X (2014) and possibly subpar battery. The note, for me, has all the advantages with the camera, battery, screen and of course the spen.

The rumored battery is basically the same as the notes.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty tough to judge which one would be preferred when only one has been officially announced, and neither one is out yet. I am waiting to see what the Nexus 6 has to offer, and if the price is right, I may get it. But I'm looking really hard at the Note 4, too. I like what I've seen so far, and I'm coming from a Nexus 5. I like the clean interface and quick updates, but it really is a hampered device compared to things like TouchWiz, Sense 6, and even Moto's enhancements. It's very bare bones. Sometimes these skinned devices have a lot more to offer the consumer. So I'll be waiting to see both before I do anything.

jps1012

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's pretty tough to judge which one would be preferred when only one has been officially announced, and neither one is out yet. I am waiting to see what the Nexus 6 has to offer, and if the price is right, I may get it. But I'm looking really hard at the Note 4, too. I like what I've seen so far, and I'm coming from a Nexus 5. I like the clean interface and quick updates, but it really is a hampered device compared to things like TouchWiz, Sense 6, and even Moto's enhancements. It's very bare bones. Sometimes these skinned devices have a lot more to offer the consumer. So I'll be waiting to see both before I do anything.

You should go to best buy and try the note 4.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You should go to best buy and try the note 4.

Yeah, I'll have to call my local BB and see if they have any. It's a 20 minute drive one way, so I don't want to drive over there for nothing. Two things that I'm really wanting coming from the Nexus 5 is better camera and better battery life. The Note easily has both of those locked up. Throw in that screen and the added Note functionality, and it looks like a winner to me.

jps1012

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'll have to call my local BB and see if they have any. It's a 20 minute drive one way, so I don't want to drive over there for nothing. Two things that I'm really wanting coming from the Nexus 5 is better camera and better battery life. The Note easily has both of those locked up. Throw in that screen and the added Note functionality, and it looks like a winner to me.

Based on the rumors if the nexus has a 13 MP camera and a 3200mAh battery it has to be improved.

I am coming from a jailbroken iPhone so this stuff is all new to me. I have been told to stay away from touchwiz and get the nexus for updates but that note screen is insane. On the flip side waiting up to 6 months for android L would suck.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Based on the rumors if the nexus has a 13 MP camera and a 3200mAh battery it has to be improved.

I am coming from a jailbroken iPhone so this stuff is all new to me. I have been told to stay away from touchwiz and get the nexus for updates but that note screen is insane. On the flip side waiting up to 6 months for android L would suck.

I have used both pretty extensively and I think it just depends on what you're looking for. TouchWiz definitely provides some usability that stock Android doesn't. Sure there are some bloat app, but just disable them and they're out of sight, out of mind. If updates are your number one thing, then you need Nexus. But if you're ok getting the update when you get it, then I wouldn't recommend Nexus. It is a good phone, just very plain. I've messed around with my wife's S5 a little, and it feels like a much better phone over my Nexus, so I can only assume the Note 4 would give me the same feeling.

jps1012

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I have used both pretty extensively and I think it just depends on what you're looking for. TouchWiz definitely provides some usability that stock Android doesn't. Sure there are some bloat app, but just disable them and they're out of sight, out of mind. If updates are your number one thing, then you need Nexus. But if you're ok getting the update when you get it, then I wouldn't recommend Nexus. It is a good phone, just very plain. I've messed around with my wife's S5 a little, and it feels like a much better phone over my Nexus, so I can only assume the Note 4 would give me the same feeling.

Thanks that is helpful! What about the smoothness of the nexus compared to lag on TW?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks that is helpful! What about the smoothness of the nexus compared to lag on TW?

At least between the S5 and the Nexus 5, I don't notice a whole lot, if any at all. What I do notice are the little things like additional photo editing features, ultra power saving mode, a camera that takes quick/great pics (now the Nexus 5 takes pretty solid pics, but it is kind of slow to load in comparison), among a number of other things. People on the internet like to blow everything out of proportion. The S5, when used alone, seems just as fast to me as the Nexus. You might notice a little lag if you opened the same app at the same time on them side by side, but I can't tell anything when I'm using her S5. It's all relative, honestly. I've been using a Nexus or M8 GPE since February, and I can honestly say that I probably won't get one again unless the funds just leave me no choice or if they build a super premium Nexus (which the 6 may be, it's not out o the realm of possibilities yet). But there is just too much functionality left on the table in going with a skinned device. And if super fast updates and stock Android are your thing, but you want more bang for your buck, I'd go with the Moto X. That's still an option for me, as well. You get the updates and stock Android, but you also get a ton of value adds.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Just know if you don't see them out on display, it doesn't mean they don't have a display model. I was looking at my Best Buy and I didn't see and the lady pulled it out of the desk to let me mess with it. She said they forgot to send the security attachment. So just ask if you don't see it out.

sithjedi333

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Very tough decision.

I like the Note 4 for the removable battery and MicroSD. Not sure I can live without those.

Otherwise the Nexus 6 looks really great.

Any speculation which will have the better lowlight camera, call quality and audio quality (headset jack)?

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463