07-16-2015 09:39 AM
96 1234
tools
    I'll have to see how it works out. I preferred the ProClip but I just don't think it would accommodate the case I ordered.
    10-21-2014 03:42 PM
    Even if I went with the Proclip that was optimal for the case I have or thought I would have, you are really restricted to that or something so close to it that it would just as well be that. For a typical heavy/bulky case, you could be up to 16mm in a flash. I would think a defender might get up there pretty easy and that Ballistic Jacket Maxx might get close to there.

If this little Spigen Neo H is about 11mm deep, just imagine how deep the holder has to be for a Jacket Maxx or a Defender ....maybe even a Commuter or a UAG? The point is, with only about 4 mm to play with which is about what Proclip gives you, you gotta' decide on no case or one particular case and any serious departure from that initial decision is going to force you to change the Proclip Universal T2 holder.
    10-21-2014 04:06 PM
    So I am really interested in the ProClip Option that is marketing by them for the Note 3 but wondering if that is the one you are thinking of using for the Note 4. Do you think that holder will take the Note 4 as well? Do you think it will take it with a case of some sort? I would love to get that one hoping it would hold a Note 4. Maybe you are already using that holder with a Note 4.
    I just did a chat session with ProClip and asked about the G Note 4. Here is what they had to say...

Husker619: Im looking for a car mount for a galaxy Note 4 that can be used in 3 different vehicles. I want to be able to take it out easily from my GMC Terrain to my Silverado or to my camaro. can you help me with that?
    Tal: We will be designing a holder for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. This design process generally takes 4-6 weeks once the design team obtains the device, but can take longer depending on the device. Once we have a custom holder available for your device we will send you an email with a link to the products.
    Tal: If you want to provide your email we can add you to the email notification list. Once the holder is available you will be notified via email.

I provided my email and I will wait for now.
    10-27-2014 10:19 AM
    Even though I preferred the metal & quality of the ProClip it would not have worked for me because my Fusion dash doesn't have slots to mount it. The Arkon Mega Grip works very well as far as holding the phone and quick mounting/release but my vent is so high on the dash the top third of the phone is above the top of the dash in the portrait mode. Guess I'll be using landscape in the car........
    10-27-2014 10:25 AM
    Ottie hands down
    10-27-2014 10:37 AM
    I use the iBolt for my Gnote3 and I will be using it for my GNote4.
    I used their S3 mount for years and loved it. When I got my Note 4, they were the first I went to of course. But after emailing them, I was sadly informed that their Samsung dock IBXS-33603) is not compatible with the Note 4 (or Galaxy S5). Their IBXC-33617 will work, but doesn't have the charging cable built in.

I really want something with the charging cable built in since I prefer to mount in landscape on my dash, and it would create less stress on the microUSB port than just plugging a regular cable in.
    10-27-2014 04:56 PM
    I used their S3 mount for years and loved it. When I got my Note 4, they were the first I went to of course. But after emailing them, I was sadly informed that their Samsung dock IBXS-33603) is not compatible with the Note 4 (or Galaxy S5). Their IBXC-33617 will work, but doesn't have the charging cable built in.

I really want something with the charging cable built in since I prefer to mount in landscape on my dash, and it would create less stress on the microUSB port than just plugging a regular cable in.
    I'm very disappointed to hear that about iBolt, but also with Samsung that they've changed the dock mode in both the S5 (wife has one so already knew that) and N4. Love my dock and N3, don't know what to do if I get the N4, which will happen probably at some point just not any time soon.
    10-27-2014 05:32 PM
    Will this hold the n4 with a case, e.g. spigen neo hybrid?
    10-27-2014 06:08 PM
    This mounting system is available for car, bike & arm.

It requires a Seidio Convert case which won't be a available for about a month.

SEIDIO | Smarter Mobile Accessories
    10-27-2014 07:14 PM
    I'm very disappointed to hear that about iBolt, but also with Samsung that they've changed the dock mode in both the S5 (wife has one so already knew that) and N4. Love my dock and N3, don't know what to do if I get the N4, which will happen probably at some point just not any time soon.
    I got another email from iBolt. Apparently they're now selling a replacement charging arm ($4.95) that will work with the Note 4.They sent me a link to order it, but I can't post links yet. It doesn't have the aux cable, but it will charge the phone, and launch dock mode. My car has Bluetooth, and a USB port that will treat my phone as a media device anyway, so I'm not concerned about losing the aux cable.
    Lefty Drummer likes this.
    10-28-2014 03:39 AM
    I'm using my Ibolt Pro dock that I used my N3 with. I hated trying to connect the N3, because of the USB 3 port on it. Now much easier with the N4. I have the Usb/aux cord I never used in my car before that came with dock, because I didn't have those options on my car's stock stereo. Now just got a new one for my car and have that capability, interested to see how it sounds now, I'm sure it will sound better than just using the speaker on the phone. Haven't tried yet though. To me the IBolt docks are great.
    10-28-2014 03:50 AM
    Even though I preferred the metal & quality of the ProClip it would not have worked for me because my Fusion dash doesn't have slots to mount it. The Arkon Mega Grip works very well as far as holding the phone and quick mounting/release but my vent is so high on the dash the top third of the phone is above the top of the dash in the portrait mode. Guess I'll be using landscape in the car........
    Are you sure you really explored the ProClip solution? I've attached the mount to three different vehicles over the years, and in every case it seems at first like there would be no way you could attach a mount anywhere on the dashboard. But those clever Swedes at ProClip have a way for virtually every car, including the Fusion. Here's are photos of center mounting from a 2012 Fusion:

Car mount for the Note4-854362-4.jpg

Obviously, this is without the device holder. The mounting is available for all Fusion models from 2006 to 2015. There's also the option for a left mount near the upper left of the steering wheel and a console mount: Ford Fusion 2012 Dashboard Mounts - ProClip USA

I just did a chat session with ProClip and asked about the G Note 4. Here is what they had to say...

Husker619: Im looking for a car mount for a galaxy Note 4 that can be used in 3 different vehicles. I want to be able to take it out easily from my GMC Terrain to my Silverado or to my camaro. can you help me with that?
    Tal: We will be designing a holder for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. This design process generally takes 4-6 weeks once the design team obtains the device, but can take longer depending on the device. Once we have a custom holder available for your device we will send you an email with a link to the products.
    Tal: If you want to provide your email we can add you to the email notification list. Once the holder is available you will be notified via email.

I provided my email and I will wait for now.
    ProClip does take a little while after a device is released to come out with the holder, but it's truly a highly engineered, custom fit for the naked device. This time around (I'm on my fifth ProClip holder), I decided I was tired of having to take my device out of its case to slide it into the holder, so I opted for the large universal adjustable holder, which allows me to accommodate my Note 4 in the Samsung protective cover TPU case. Because of the material of the case, it doesn't slide in quite as smoothly, and in adjusting the width of the holder (two screws -- it's not a spring-loaded holder), you find that there is a trade off between tightness of fit and amount of front to back play. That is, the looser the fit, the more play there is from front to back/depthwise. There's a balance you have to find.
    10-28-2014 07:21 AM
    They must be using the bottom of the air vent because there isn't a dash seam there. I'm getting the Seidio Convert case when it becomes available and I'm also concerned with it fitting in the ProClip mount as I would not be interested in having to either partially or completely take the case off to mount the phone. I'll take a look at their website again because the Arkon Mega Grip vent mount I just got makes the phone too high over the dash (vents are too close to dash top) in the portrait mode. Seidio makes an interesting mounting system as well.

SEIDIO | Mounting Accessories
    10-28-2014 08:47 AM
    Just to throw in my 2 cents. I am in the car a lot and have, over the years, used all different types of mounts. IMHO nothing is a s good as the ProClip system. If you don''t use a case (I do) then the engineering is amazing and the fit is always perfect. With the case you need to use either one of the Universal Phone holders or some other rigging. My last phone was a Droid Maxx and they did not have a holder for that for a while so I went with a Universal that fit the phone and case so well that I stuck with that. My case has not yet come for the phone but I did just order the Universal Large T3 from ProClip in anticipation. I will let you know how it works out.
    JasW likes this.
    10-28-2014 11:30 AM
    That's the very mount I use in my car and truck. I don't use CD's anymore so it was a perfect match.

Car mount for the Note4-n4-mount.jpg
    debsawyer likes this.
    10-28-2014 11:35 AM
    They must be using the bottom of the air vent because there isn't a dash seam there. I'm getting the Seidio Convert case when it becomes available and I'm also concerned with it fitting in the ProClip mount as I would not be interested in having to either partially or completely take the case off to mount the phone. I'll take a look at their website again because the Arkon Mega Grip vent mount I just got makes the phone too high over the dash (vents are too close to dash top) in the portrait mode. Seidio makes an interesting mounting system as well.

SEIDIO | Mounting Accessories
    Hard to tell from the photo what they're using. It's actually amazing how they find the places to install the mount. Here's my current mount (with my old Note 2 and Note 2 holder):

Attachment 142211

I would have never have thought that a mount could be installed there without causing damage.

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I am in the car a lot and have, over the years, used all different types of mounts. IMHO nothing is a s good as the ProClip system. If you don''t use a case (I do) then the engineering is amazing and the fit is always perfect. With the case you need to use either one of the Universal Phone holders or some other rigging. My last phone was a Droid Maxx and they did not have a holder for that for a while so I went with a Universal that fit the phone and case so well that I stuck with that. My case has not yet come for the phone but I did just order the Universal Large T3 from ProClip in anticipation. I will let you know how it works out.
    The T3? Wow. I'm not sure what case you're getting but I was considering the Universal Large T2 before ProClip customer service advised that I should get the Universal Large T1. The width is the same on all three, as I recall, but the depth/thickness is progressively greater on the T2 and T3. The naked Note 4 has a depth of 8.5mm, I was concerned that based on their stated depth specs, the Spigen Capsule and Samsung protective cover cases I was getting would extend beyond the maximum of 10mm for the T1. The ProClip rep explained that because ProClip holders gripped devices from the edges, the official dimensions could be deceiving. For example, the Spigen Slim Armor case has a spec of 12mm for depth, but because it is tapered, the edges have a depth of only 7.5mm -- which fits right within the T1 depth range of 6-10mm:

Car mount for the Note4-2bsmmre.png

The T2 is for a device thickness of 9-13mm, and the T3 is for 12-16mm. That's huge. You might want to consult with ProClip customer service and let them know what case you're getting, etc.
    10-28-2014 12:01 PM
    Stupid question... I'm thinking about buying the Mountek Snap. How come the magnet in the mount doesn't screw up the memory on the phone?
    10-29-2014 09:44 AM
    Stupid question... I'm thinking about buying the Mountek Snap. How come the magnet in the mount doesn't screw up the memory on the phone?
    Phone memory is not magnetically based, it's based on electrical charges. So unless you're using very powerful magnets, and waving them around enough to create electrical fields, you're safe. Just avoid microwave ovens, and MRI machines.
    10-29-2014 11:29 AM
    Phone memory is not magnetically based, it's based on electrical charges. So unless you're using very powerful magnets, and waving them around enough to create electrical fields, you're safe. Just avoid microwave ovens, and MRI machines.
    OK thank you. Would the magnet work through a otterbox defender?
    10-31-2014 01:43 PM
    I've been using my iBolt dock for over a year, with my N2 and N3. Love it!
    I too have an i-Bolt car mount holder, had it since my s3, and love it, used it with my note 2 and now with my note 4, I have nothing negative to say about it. And it allows for the use of an otter box case, if you use those.

Posted via the Android Central App
    jerseygirl, zmann and Preach2k like this.
    11-01-2014 01:18 AM
    I got tired of buying a new dock every time I switched phones, so I bought the iOttie XL that will hold any size phone (so far).
    I love mine! Best dock ever.
    11-01-2014 02:20 AM
    I am thinking the only perfect solution is to use two depending on the season.

Suction is nice and it's on the dashboard and out of the way of air vents/car display. Problem is in the summer they always fall off (park your car outside in 90-100 degree weather for a few hours and there is no amount of suction that will keep it on).

The CD slot/air vent mounts are good in that they don't fall off in the heat. But then in the winter they block your vents and lead to hot air blowing on your phone.

So my solution is just use two and switch off. Or I guess getting a permanent/adhesive fixture on your dashboard is also a solution!
    I love in Florida and my iOttie works fine. It has a special coating. It had never fallen off in the past year or two.
    11-01-2014 02:26 AM
    Picking the right Proclip Univeral does look a little dicey for sure. But if wrong, just send back the one that does not work for one that will. I have two cases that will see most of the activity for the N4. Using digital calipers, one is 12.95mm thick on edge and the other is 13.24mm on edge although it is much thicker right off the edge. Don't think that really matters. But these all slide in and out from the top. So you have to get any features ....corner bumpers, what have you, past the opening in order to slide them down. The second case is 13.56mm on its bumpers. The friction fit interface has to be tight enough to hold the phone in place when in use and free enough to allow the user to slide it in and out from the top to insert and remove. Looking at it I would think the best would be to have as much contact surface area between phone case and Proclip phone holder as possible instead of having a very small contact patch and trying for a really snug fit to compensate for it. So my first effort is based on that. If it turns out to be too big, it won't be more than the next size down which might limit me to only using one case. That might be OK as well. The Arkon I bought initially is just dying to fall right off my vent louvers, So it is being packed to go back to Arkon.

My vents are not very big. So the bottom support which is where most of these vent louver mounts get their stability is really sort of hanging on by a thread. Since the Proclip is supported the vent opening, not the louvers I'm sure it is much more stable at least in its car interface.

Then it looks like the bottom of the phone case or naked phone rests in something of a pocket formed by the rectangular box on each end that is the phone holder. So the phone does bottom out against something or at least it looks that way.
    11-01-2014 04:34 AM
    I got the IOttie XL from Mertline.com for $19.99, it was delivered yesterday. Holds my Note 4 solid and works great!

iOttie One Touch Car Mount for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy SIII | Meritline.com
    11-04-2014 01:20 PM
    Are you using a case? If yes what kind?
    11-04-2014 01:46 PM
96 1234