Why doesn't Samsung release devices on announcement day?

Astronomer cykiller

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Why samsung cant sell the G-note4 right after they introduced it to the public? Why do we have to wait 1-2months just to get our hands on it? Apple introduced the iphone 6 & 6+, but they were able to sell the phone a week after.

posted using Samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Who knows?

Samsung should be able to do the same, if not sooner, seeing as how they own most of the components that go into making their devices.

I realize there's a firewall between its many divisions, but it really shouldn't take long from unveiling to selling.

cayjen

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea if this is true or reliable, but I was at Target a couple weeks ago messing around with the Note 3 and chatting with the guy in the electronics department. He told me that Apple pays Samsung to wait "so long" after Apple releases their phones before they release theirs. Take that with a grain of salt, but nothing would surprise me. It's just ridiculous that we have to wait this long.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea if this is true or reliable, but I was at Target a couple weeks ago messing around with the Note 3 and chatting with the guy in the electronics department. He told me that Apple pays Samsung to wait "so long" after Apple releases their phones before they release theirs. Take that with a grain of salt, but nothing would surprise me. It's just ridiculous that we have to wait this long.

I could believe that. I heard that Apple has all the shipping channels booked up so they can't which could be why release details are so foggy for a while.

Posted via Android Central App

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I personally think it's because they have difficulties with production, quality assurance and distribution. It is not as easy as everyone thinks to produce a GN4 type phone, otherwise everyone would be doing it, and honestly, I don't think Samsung cares. They probably figure that very few people will jump ship. I was tempted but I decided to hold out.... I think Samsung will likely improve on releases in the future.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Why samsung cant sell the G-note4 right after they introduced it to the public? Why do we have to wait 1-2months just to get our hands on it? Apple introduced the iphone 6 & 6+, but they were able to sell the phone a week after.

I think the question is probably backwards. If you don't like the lapse of time between announcement and release, the question should probably be, "Why does Samsung announce a new phone so far in advance of when it will be released?" I mean, the Note 2 was released in late October of 2012, and I think (but I'm not sure) that the Note 3 was released in October of 2013. One-year cycles probably make sense for a lot of reasons, including the two-year upgrade cycles that most U.S. carriers have, and it probably takes a full year to plan and design the software and hardware, get component manufacturers on board, build prototypes, test it, get carriers and retailers on board, ramp up production, and have sufficient stock on hand to be able to ship to retailers all over the world to sell millions within weeks of a release date. So the fact that the latest version, Note 4, is again being released about a year after the previous model makes sense to me. It's not like Samsung is sitting on millions of Note 4's and just wants to make us wait for six weeks after announcement, and it's also probably not that they could have accomplished all of this a few weeks earlier.

So, why did they announce on Sept. 3 when release isn't until Oct. 17? Probably to generate buzz, to let people have some time to learn all about the phone before making the decision to buy, and to convince some people not to buy the iPhone that is hitting the market sooner. I don't think it would have been a smart move for Samsung to wait to announce the Note 4 until after the iPhone 6+ was already on the shelves. Apple chose to wait to announce the new iPhones until closer to their release date, but if the Note 4 was going to be released on Sept. 15, perhaps Apple would have been wise to announce before then.

Bottom line, no matter when Samsung announced the Note 4 (for example, Sept. 3, Sept 30, or Oct. 15), you'd still have to wait til Oct. 17 before you can buy one. I'm OK with a one-year cycle between new models, so I'm OK with waiting til that late October release date rolls around. The fact that the announcement date was six weeks earlier doesn't bother me. Blockbuster movies sometimes show trailers many months before they are released in theaters.

Astronomer cykiller

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I think the question is probably backwards. If you don't like the lapse of time between announcement and release, the question should probably be, "Why does Samsung announce a new phone so far in advance of when it will be released?" I mean, the Note 2 was released in late October of 2012, and I think (but I'm not sure) that the Note 3 was released in October of 2013. One-year cycles probably make sense for a lot of reasons, including the two-year upgrade cycles that most U.S. carriers have, and it probably takes a full year to plan and design the software and hardware, get component manufacturers on board, build prototypes, test it, get carriers and retailers on board, ramp up production, and have sufficient stock on hand to be able to ship to retailers all over the world to sell millions within weeks of a release date. So the fact that the latest version, Note 4, is again being released about a year after the previous model makes sense to me. It's not like Samsung is sitting on millions of Note 4's and just wants to make us wait for six weeks after announcement, and it's also probably not that they could have accomplished all of this a few weeks earlier.

So, why did they announce on Sept. 3 when release isn't until Oct. 17? Probably to generate buzz, to let people have some time to learn all about the phone before making the decision to buy, and to convince some people not to buy the iPhone that is hitting the market sooner. I don't think it would have been a smart move for Samsung to wait to announce the Note 4 until after the iPhone 6+ was already on the shelves. Apple chose to wait to announce the new iPhones until closer to their release date, but if the Note 4 was going to be released on Sept. 15, perhaps Apple would have been wise to announce before then.

Bottom line, no matter when Samsung announced the Note 4 (for example, Sept. 3, Sept 30, or Oct. 15), you'd still have to wait til Oct. 17 before you can buy one. I'm OK with a one-year cycle between new models, so I'm OK with waiting til that late October release date rolls around. The fact that the announcement date was six weeks earlier doesn't bother me. Blockbuster movies sometimes show trailers many months before they are released in theaters.

Hmmm...i see. so, samsung announced the note4 earlier this year rather than announcing it this october so that people will hesitate to buy the iphone6 or 6+. Well, I think that didint work for samsung, because apple sold more than 10million iphone in a week. If samsung want to take over the market share, they need to release the gnote series before apple relieases teir new phones. However, this is also a good news for people who will buy the note4, because since apple sold more than 10million ibend 6, samsung is forced to drop the price for the note4. Anyway, i just can't wait to get my hands on the note4, and i can't wait to replace it with my iphone4s.

posted using Samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Would you prefer Samsung wait until 10-17 to announce and release the same day? Personally I have no problems with them announcing early so we know more details about the phone.

And even though iPhone is released on a date, it doesn't mean it is readily available. I bought a 6+ and a n4,the 6+ has an anticipated ship date over a month after release, and I ordered around release. On the other hand, the n4 has a ship date a week after release date.

Fwiw, i picked up the note 3 on release day, no line or anything. There is also a higher likelihood of getting promotions near release on Androids. Or even if Apple has promotions, Android promotions tend to be better. I got the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for $90 on contract on release day.

za2a4ene.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Fyi i checked the Verizon 6+ gold 16gb....none available in the LA area. My local apple store has no 6+ in store today (any color or memory configuration) , even 2 weeks after release.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Fyi i checked the Verizon 6+ gold 16gb....none available in the LA area. My local apple store has no 6+ in store today (any color or memory configuration) , even 2 weeks after release.

That's because they're sold out. Totally different than what the OP is questioning.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's because they're sold out. Totally different than what the OP is questioning.

It is related. The op said why do we have to wait 1-2 months from announcement to get our hands on it. I ordered the 6 plus weeks ago.... Still not in my hands and the targeted ship date is well a month after

I would rather wait till they are in good supply rather than release a quantity not sufficient to meet demand. Sure Samsung could do the same. Then people would complain about the lack of availability even though it is released.

I picked up the note 3 on release day, no line at all. No shortage, didn't have to preorder or anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles