I don't understand the hype/complaints around it.

For one, it would add to size. Two, ugly covers over ports. And three, it can/would affect sound quality as extra membranes are placed over speakers.

Are these cons really worth it for waterproofing to any one of you? If you take your phones to the pool or the beach, you have a whole different problem anyways.

Rain? I use my Note 2 in the rain all the times. I have never had any problems, no lags, and no button ever became non-functional even for a second.

The only situation I would understand is accidental dropping while walking on a boardwalk. Now be honest, what are the chances of that ever happening? Would wanting waterproofing that might never ever be needed worth the negatives?

Note series is for performance. I for one am very glad it's not waterproof, else that would have affected my decision in pre-ordering it. Bring on October 17th!
    10-03-2014 08:39 AM
    The Sony Z3 phones would disagree about the size difference.

Also, I don't get why you're happy they aren't waterproof. Me and you may not be clumsy, but you better believe there are many people who are. Many people drop their phones in toilets and sinks.
    10-03-2014 09:44 AM
    Done right, like Sony's XPERIA I wouldn't mind it especially if wireless charging is an option like the S5. I didn't have to deal with the POS flap cover Samsung came up with.
    10-03-2014 10:42 AM
    I use mine as a GPS in a motorcycle handlebar. Water proofing / resistance would be great. As it is now, when it rains I need to pull off the road and hide my S4. The S5 is waterproof, but if fails because it is only available in 16gb. The maps data I use only leaves about 6gb on a 32gb device, and the maps do not work in the external SD storage.
    I almost gave up on the Note 4 when I found that it was not going to be waterproof.
    For normal users, it really doesn't mean much I suppose. But it would always be a plus if it was there and didn't take away something else.
    erinpac and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-03-2014 10:50 AM
    I had the Xperia Z and it was a great looking phone. The port coverings were flush with the rest of the device and gave it a seamless look. You had to look pretty hard for the little spaces where you stick your fingernail in to open it. The device was really thin, as well. I appreciated the waterproofing. I took it to the pool a lot last summer and just laid it by the edge and played music (while no one was around, of course, I didn't want it to get taken!). I had one water scare in 2010 and it was enough to make me start carrying around plastic baggies in my purse for another such occasion. I was going to a sporting event at an arena and had to park really far out. I had barely walked 50 feet when the skies opened up and it started pouring rain. I ran like heck to the arena and by the time I got there I was completely soaked. I ran to the concession stand and got a lot of napkins. I took my BlackBerry 9700 apart and wrapped it in the napkins. I let it dry out for about an hour. When I powered it on I got the White Screen of Death and I was sure my berry was toast. Eventually it started working again, and my water damage indicators were still white. I lucked out, but that event instilled that fear in me!
    10-03-2014 11:18 AM
    Here you go....

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Note 4 Waterproofing is unncessary-22370.jpg  
    Preach2k and berdinkerdickle like this.
    10-03-2014 11:52 PM
    Isn't the Xperia the phone that has a sealed back and therefore you can't change the battery or add a micro SD memory card? If that is the cost of waterproofing I will take the Note 4 for its very superior technical performance any day.
    10-04-2014 12:22 AM
    I've never needed my phone to be waterproof, but I think it sucks that they didn't waterproof it. The wife's S5 is waterproof and it isn't bulky, the little port covert isn't big and the soaker sounds great.
    10-04-2014 01:29 AM
    The thing that differentiates the Note from other phablets, the stylus, is probably the biggest hinderence to creating a waterproof Note. I choose the stylus over waterproofing.
    ToddK likes this.
    10-07-2014 01:16 AM
    Some may find it useful. Remember just because you don't like something doesn't mean someone can't find it useful.

I just don't think they're concerned with waterproofing the Note .. especially since they made the S5 (or S series) and also the "Active" series.
    AnnDroid and worwig like this.
    10-07-2014 11:39 AM
    Liquipel Service - Samsung Note & Note 2 & Note 3 & Note 4 great way to waterproof. its a option you can add on newegg.com
    12-16-2014 08:26 PM
    its a scam
    03-20-2015 02:29 PM
    Here you go....

Posted via Android Central App
    That's my plan when I get the 4.
    03-20-2015 02:52 PM
    thats funny
    03-20-2015 10:03 PM