Verizon Note 4 or ATT Note 4?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Having had both carriers, Verizon has much better coverage. If you have to use your phone outside of freeway corridors or in major cities AT&T coverage is poor to non-existent.

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
AT&T. open GSM global standard network allowing BYOD and SIM freedom vs. closed CDMA network requiring proprietary phones.

This is actually incorrect. Verizon's LTE phones come factory unlocked. AT&T phones come locked. Verizon LTE phones have GSM/CDMA chipset so it can be used on any network out of the box, including AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T can't be used on Verizon or Sprint because it does not have CDMA.

So in reality Verizon is more open than AT&T in that their phones are unlocked and they are GSM ready.

disneymagik

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I live in the country and travel to even more isolated parts when visiting relatives and I've never had issues with having no coverage with AT&T. One of the mobile sales guys at Sam's Club tried to explain the main difference between the two and I'm going to try to relay what he said. AT&T & Verizon both obviously have 4Glte coverage. But with AT&T, when you're in an area where LTE isn't available, it'll search for 4G, then 3G, then Edge (2.5G) where other providers don't take the steps back but instead go straight to 3G if LTE isn't available. He wrote it down and it was easier to understand with a visual aid! Lol! My phone does just as he explained.
I don't know if there's anyone who can explain this better than me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I live in the country and travel to even more isolated parts when visiting relatives and I've never had issues with having no coverage with AT&T. One of the mobile sales guys at Sam's Club tried to explain the main difference between the two and I'm going to try to relay what he said. AT&T & Verizon both obviously have 4Glte coverage. But with AT&T, when you're in an area where LTE isn't available, it'll search for 4G, then 3G, then Edge (2.5G) where other providers don't take the steps back but instead go straight to 3G if LTE isn't available. He wrote it down and it was easier to understand with a visual aid! Lol! My phone does just as he explained.
I don't know if there's anyone who can explain this better than me.

Please also keep in mind that Verizon's 4GLTE coverage is larger than AT&T. Please note that this map is only 4GLTE coverage, doesn't include hspa+ or anything else. So while it is true that on att, you will drop to 4g, it is also true that you are more likely to have 4GLTE on Verizon.

uzu4yhat.jpg

With that said, it also depends on which carrier has coverage where you need it. My coworker has att and has no coverage at my desk, whereas I have strong Verizon 4GLTE coverage.

Also at my desk, I have access to Verizon's XLTE (AWS 4GLTE) network, at weaker spots in my building, I transition to Verizon's regular 700MHz 4GLTE, not 3g. So Verizon does have two 4GLTE networks overlapping in certain areas, both at my home and work. Of note, other carriers have multiple bands of overlapping lte as well.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 lines with the Share everything plan, 4GB. I don't think I can use these methods, can I?

Posted via Android Central App

Not on your account, but if you have any friends or family with unlimited data then they can do it on their account and then transfer that line to you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is actually incorrect. Verizon's LTE phones come factory unlocked. AT&T phones come locked. Verizon LTE phones have GSM/CDMA chipset so it can be used on any network out of the box, including AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T can't be used on Verizon or Sprint because it does not have CDMA.

So in reality Verizon is more open than AT&T in that their phones are unlocked and they are GSM ready.

Not all but most. There are exceptions, mostly older phones though. My old Thunderbolt had no gsm radios. My old droid razr maxx had a GSM radio but usa networks were blocked.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but T Mobile is a no go for me. It is horrible in parts of Maryland. No signal on I-83 to PA.
have you checked recently? they are on a massive, nationwide network improvement campaign, and you might be surprised on where they are now...plus, you can do a free, 7 day test drive to see how their network now works for you..

do ANYTHING to avoid the twin death stars of Verizon/ATT..

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
have you considered the Nexus X/6 + AT&T GoPhone Prepaid No Contract?

----------------------------------------------Nexus X-------------------------------Note 4
----------------------------------------------Prepaid-------------------------------Post Paid
Phone Cost--------------------------------$350-------------------------------- $299
Monthly Service
after all taxes/fees/discounts---------$60 ----------------------------------$100
Months-------------------------------------24 ------------------------------------24
Total Service cost
after X Months--------------------------$1,440 -------------------------------$2,400

Total Payout After 24 Months----------- $1,790---------------------------$2,699

Difference after 24 Months------------------ $909
Nexus is a different phone then note 4 or other phones....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Verizon, hands down better coverage then AT&T.
Hands down? AT&T coverage has been just as good as Verizon. Every carrier has dead spots and just because you live in an apparent dead spot for AT&T doesn't make Verizon "hands down" "better"

Verizon AND AT&T has the best overall coverage in the united states.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Yay CDMA? Nobody wants that crap specially on sprint. I would pay Samsung apple or whoever I buy a phone from to Rip that radio out of my phone lol.

GSM > CDMA.... Also you can pretty much unlock any AT&T phone if A) your military B) pay off the phone in full by paying the 24 payments, buying in full or paying it in full early or C) finish the 24 month contract

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hands down? AT&T coverage has been just as good as Verizon. Every carrier has dead spots and just because you live in an apparent dead spot for AT&T doesn't make Verizon "hands down" "better"

Verizon AND AT&T has the best overall coverage in the united states.

Verizon has the best coverage, but not by a huge margin . the only win for att was texting, but even there Verizon was a close second.

qamezuvy.jpg

gehy8u4e.jpg

tevezavy.jpg

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
if you dont travel the country nationwide, and if you dont live in a rural area, don't overpay for Verizon or ATT; choose Tmobile, who is fantastic in metro/suburban areas all over the country, and you will save a ton of money and headaches..their customer service alone is enough of a reason to dump the two death stars...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yay CDMA? Nobody wants that crap specially on sprint. I would pay Samsung apple or whoever I buy a phone from to Rip that radio out of my phone lol.

GSM > CDMA.... Also you can pretty much unlock any AT&T phone if A) your military B) pay off the phone in full by paying the 24 payments, buying in full or paying it in full early or C) finish the 24 month contract

The issue is that a lot of people want to unlock the phone while on contract (service or device payment plan).

Also sure if you pay enough then they will build a phone specifically for you without cdma radios. I am guessing that the cost would be very high, but if you feel strongly about it, it can be done.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If your looking at numbers it is all basically equal..... Nothing "hands down" about it

Sure, but current pricing being pretty much equal, imo, Verizon is the better choice for those who want best overall coverage, even if it is close. Of course if Verizon doesn't get good coverage where you need it and att doe, then that is a different story.