Note 4 Bad news for Samsung. Good news for us?

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Looks like Samsung is getting hit really hard from competition. This article suggests that there might be some big discounts ahead on the Note 4. So if you miss the $200 off pre-order from Best Buy or Samsung, keep an eye out for future deals.

Galaxy Note 4 Release Arrives Amid Bad News for Samsung

" Increased competition from the the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are part of the problem, offering bigger screens that come close to matching the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 4 in size, but they aren’t the only reason Samsung is looking at a potential 60% drop in operating profits from last year. In the report Samsung cites “intense competition,” and while it doesn’t name names, there is more than Apple at play here. "

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Bad news for Samsung. Good news for us?

I think Samsung really blew it with the Note 4 release process. They have gotten a lot less aggressive since the S5 came out...I wonder if they sat on their laurels?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I wish this would mean an earlier release.

Yk Chin

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Even early release won't safe it. IPhone big screen for the first time in history is simply too hard to ignore. There are too many apple fans out there plus new comers & converters.

Posted via Note 3

Last edited by a moderator:

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

The Note 4 will be my first smartphone, and I have been using Apple products all my life, but my friends convinced me that Android is much better for cell phones, and there is a whole different world beyond iOS that can be much more enjoyable.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

I'll try and find comfort with The Verge's final thought. To rebound, I hope we see some awesome things come from Samsung.

Posted via Galaxy Note 3

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

I'll try and find comfort with The Verge's final thought. To rebound, I hope we see some awesome things come from Samsung.

Posted via Galaxy Note 3

Yes, they need to really do something special & unique again to get the attention of the market, like they did when they introduced the Note line and now the Note Edge.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Yeah they really should have been on top of releasing the note instead of seeing the iPhone 6 come out and go "oh crap! We need to release the phone!" and then get the phone out like a month after the iPhone comes out.

Great job Samsung!

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Samsung also should have had N4's in all the carrier stores, not just BB and both should have been sooner. They let Apple steal a lot of thunder and sales by handling the N4 intro they way they did. Think of all the buyers that went to the carrier stores which had the new iPhones and no N4 to compare.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

I think we will see some really big upgrades to the s and note lines next year.

I'm hoping for that 6 inch note!

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
There are no IPhone 6 or 6 plus phones in stock nor will there be any that hasn't been already pre-ordered for another month. So when the N4 is released on the 17th, for about a month, it will have no Apple competition, just like Apple didn't for a month from Samsung. People are renewing contracts and getting phones every month, so Samsung will still have a lot of potential customers who didn't get a chance or won't get chance to get a new IPhone for a while, but can get a new N4 sooner. So don't expect N4 discounts while competing 6 plus phones are unavailable. In any case, one month of not bringing out a new model won't change the bottom line for the entire previous year for any business. (Do all competing new car models come out at the same time? No, and the earlier released model doesn't necessarily have an advantage. )

Having said all that, I don't believe Samsung is doing poorly because of not selling enough of its flagship phones. It's not doing well selling its mid tier and lower end phones, which constitute the majority of its sales throughout the world. Most people don't need or can't afford a S5 or a Note 4, or an IPhone 6 plus. (We on this forum are the exception). Again to use a car analogy, GM doesn't make the majority of its money selling Corvettes. It just doesn't sell or make that many, whereas it does sell many more of its lower priced Chevrolets, which is the bulk of its business. Samsung for a couple of years has been losing its bigger "Chevrolet" market share to new Chinese companies who are selling higher quality low end phones for less money. That's what's killing Samsung, not its lack of "Corvette" N4 sales.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

joganjani

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

The Note 4 will be my first smartphone, and I have been using Apple products all my life, but my friends convinced me that Android is much better for cell phones, and there is a whole different world beyond iOS that can be much more enjoyable.

I used all iPhone from original to 5. But lack of new things made me switch and I got S4 in 2013. I was desperately waiting for Note 4 and saw Edge and now waiting for Samsung to break their silence and announce the date. I liked Apple better on this front. The announced the product and bring it to market within 10 days. Samsung announced on 9/3 I think, and brought Note 4 to US month and half later 10/17. Edge no word at all. I'm sure they lost many to iPhone 6+ due to this delay. Hence decline in profits. Wake up Samsung.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

There are no IPhone 6 or 6 plus phones in stock nor will there be any that hasn't been already pre-ordered for another month. So when the N4 is released on the 17th, for about a month, it will have no Apple competition, just like Apple didn't for a month from Samsung. People are renewing contracts and getting phones every month, so Samsung will still have a lot of potential customers who didn't get a chance or won't get chance to get a new IPhone for a while, but can get a new N4 sooner. So don't expect N4 discounts while there are competing 6 plus phones are unavailable.

Having said all that, I don't believe Samsung is doing poorly because of not selling enough of its flagship phones. It's not doing well selling its mid tier and lower end phones, which constitute the majority of its sales throughout the world. Most people don't need or can't afford a S5 or a Note 4, or an IPhone 6 plus. (We on this forum are the exception). GM doesn't make the majority of its money selling Corvettes. It just doesn't sell or make that many, whereas it does sell many more of its lower priced Chevrolets, which is the bulk of its business. Samsung for a couple of years has been losing its bigger "Chevrolet" market share to new Chinese companies who are selling more higher quality low end phones for less money. That's what's killing Samsung.

Hmm...makes sense.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Bigger isn't always better. Anyone think that if Samsung made the note 4 a 5.5 inch screen, it might have helped them sell? I know if it was anything bigger then the note 3 I would have passed and kept my note 3.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Oh no... Samsung is bringing in a few million less dollars this quarter than in previous quarters?? Cry me a river...

jcoltrane123

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Looks like Samsung is getting hit really hard from competition. This article suggests that there might be some big discounts ahead on the Note 4. So if you miss the $200 off pre-order from Best Buy or Samsung, keep an eye out for future deals.

[Link deleted]

" Increased competition from the the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are part of the problem, offering bigger screens that come close to matching the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 4 in size, but they aren’t the only reason Samsung is looking at a potential 60% drop in operating profits from last year. In the report Samsung cites “intense competition,” and while it doesn’t name names, there is more than Apple at play here. "

Pmfji, but first, your last paragraph is in quotes. What exactly are you quoting? That paragraph is not in the report.

Second, nothing at that link suggests future discounts. Rather, the report explains Samsung's present earnings decline as the result of PREVIOUS discounting and marketing/promotional costs.

Contrarily, one might infer from the facts that such costs may be better controlled in the future.

What is said, is that Samsung will utilize "new materials" and "innovative designs" to "secure sustainable…growth". Infer what you will from that.

What I infer is that Samsung intends to out innovate Apple and the others as it did in 2014, and the two previous years.

Imvho, the only company to match Samsung in recent innovation is Motorola with the Moto G/X, as well as OnePlus re price/features.

Now that both Samsung and Apple have shown their hands, what now?

MARKETING that's what!

Clearly, the Note 4, 3, 2 and 1, are superior to the simple *matching* effort represented by the Apple 6. Can Samsung market their superior product and take market share from Apple, with it's 'first to market' advantage?

Most importantly, I think, will Samsung waste money creating and markering TOO MANY products! Too many product launches! Too much confusion! This was/is Samsung's problem.

Can Samsung realize that with all of the "Note" phones (still available), along with the S 4 and 5, they cover the market and price points with superior phones.

Note 4 competes as Flagship
Note 3 as Second level competition
Note 2 is superior to any tierary level phone, etc.

Similarly the S 4 and 5 respectively (for those for whom the Note is too large a slice of "toast" to hold against their face! :)

Samsung should reduce the number of offerings, thereby reducing their costs; and, by streamlining their lineup of product they maximize their marketing dollars.

Samsung should focus on the "Note". The S line s/b morphed and redesigned into the Note "mini" (or some such denotation). They should also drop the linear model notation, until such time a competitor devises an equal or superior product (feature set).

They should also (for no other reason than all the pundits think negatively) streamline Touchwiz (give the customer no reason not to buy Samsung). Doing so provides the slower Note versions a speed/function bump.

Lastly, Samsung needs to decide which is the enemy, Apple or Google?

As it is, they are directly competing versus Apple and indirectly (possibly clandestinely?) against Google.

Simply put, Samsung suffers from a lack of focus, and it is costing them!

P.S., I'd also work to align the Korean and American markets to further increase focus and reduce costs.
[Competing vs the Chinese is inevitable.]

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois