Note 4 Ban in US? (NVIDIA/ITC)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 4 Ban in US

Eh came from BGR... Wouldn't trust that source at all....

Anyways it should be after the release of the phone

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Still....it's scary. I mean to think we could actually have to wait longer than the 10 days we already have to wait...makes me shudder!

Posted via Android Central App

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

If it truly comes down to losing ALL their sales of flagship phones in the U.S., an agreement will be reached. Samsung isn't about to lose (nor can they afford to lose) the US market.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It won't happen.. They'd have to do it in a week and a half... I'd be stunned if it did.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

This thread title is horribly, terribly misleading. NVIDIA is just asking the US Int'l Trade Commission to investigate and hold a hearing, and ultimately exclude the devices. That process will take some time, and the Commission doesn't have to exclude the devices even if it finds a violation of the Tariff Act. (Note that this is distinct from a patent lawsuit -- which NVIDIA has also filed simultaneously -- determining actual infringement.) Plus even if the Commission ultimately does rule to exclude the devices, there's a 60 day window before the ruling goes into effect. Bottom line is many of us will have a Note 5 in our collective pockets by then . . . .

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

This thread title is horribly, terribly misleading. NVIDIA is just asking the US Int'l Trade Commission to investigate and hold a hearing, and ultimately exclude the devices. That process will take some time, and the Commission doesn't have to exclude the devices even if it finds a violation of the Tariff Act. (Note that this is distinct from a patent lawsuit -- which NVIDIA has also filed simultaneously -- determining actual infringement.) Plus even if the Commission ultimately does rule to exclude the devices, there's a 60 day window before the ruling goes into effect. Bottom line is many of us will have a Note 5 in our collective pockets by then . . . .

This thread isn't misleading.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am not worried. Even if the itc moves fast, they will give a grace period before enforcement, so the n4 should be in our hands before then. And the president can and has overruled itc bans in the past.

I think this is more of a tactic to get resolution on alleged patent infringements. It would most likely come down to Samsung paying Nvidia a royalty fee, if they did infringe.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

I highly doubt the ITC will act quickly enough to ban all Note 4 devices in a week and a half, it is a government body after all. Plus, carrier lobbyists will get in the way eventually. Nothing to worry about at the moment.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

I am not worried. Even if the itc moves fast, they will give a grace period before enforcement, so the n4 should be in our hands before then. And the president can and has overruled itc bans in the past.

I think this is more of a tactic to get resolution on alleged patent infringements. It would most likely come down to Samsung paying Nvidia a royalty fee, if they did infringe.

Most likely. I am more concerned how Samsung will operate in the cell phone market after all this litigation.

Slayers

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

After reading the release it seems that not only would Samsung be the target but all others would have to be included.
I don't see this going that far seems like Nvidia is just angry they had to show their tablets early.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Didn't the president overule the recent ban with Samsung devices?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Didn't the president overule the recent ban with Samsung devices?

No, but last year, the president did overrule an itc ban on Apple products. Interestingly enough, the president didn't overrule an itc ban on Samsung a few months later.

Imo, it is unlikely that Samsung would see the president overruling an itc ban of its products, but it could happen.

teslas

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

Don't worry. Samsung will appeal and this will go on for another year or two.

Posted via the Android Central App

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Samsung really has to stop stealing other peoples' [inappropriate language edited by Moderator]. Does a week go by when they aren't in court being accused of patent infringements?

Regardless, I'm sure that no ban will take place. Samsung has been threatened with bans before and it never comes to fruition.

Last edited by a moderator:

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

Samsung really has to stop stealing other peoples' [inappropriate language edited by Moderator]. Does a week go by when they aren't in court being accused of patent infringements?

Regardless, I'm sure that no ban will take place. Samsung has been threatened with bans before and it never comes to fruition.

These alleged patent infringements aren't even those of Samsung. It's the companies who they get GPUs from that are being accused. But since they are in Samsung phones and Samsung has the deepest pockets of the 3 companies, that's who they're going after.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

guitarskoota

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site

So long as people can patent things like rounded corners, this kangaroo court will keep going on. Unfortunately the patent office favors Apple and lets them patent retarded things. Surprised Apple hasn't now patented phones 5.5" and larger now, and trademarked the term "phablet". I'm sure it will be only a matter of time until they file suit on Samsung for copying their "phablet".

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante