Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 4 Ban in US

I think they are spending too much on advertising and need to stop copying ideas.
If can do that, they will be in a much better place

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

For the U.S. Model it is Qualcomm who is accused of having violated the patent. Of course Samsung is being accused as well with their Exynos Chip. Regardless I can't believe Nvidia is requesting for something so ridiculous, that is, to ban the Note 4 and other phones after all the money Samsung has put into it, NOT! If anything, there will be a judgement against them at the most.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

For the U.S. Model it is Qualcomm who is accused of having violated the patent. Of course Samsung is being accused as well with their Exynos Chip. Regardless I can't believe Nvidia is requesting for something so ridiculous, that is, to ban the Note 4 and other phones after all the money Samsung has put into it, NOT! If anything, there will be a judgement against them at the most.

I think this is more a matter of "If NVIDIA doesn't go to the ITC, they will lose their case in court" more than they want Samsung phones banned. Pretty sure Nvidia would much rather get a buck or two for each Samsung phone sold. Targeting Samsung rather than HTC or LG means lawyers will be more apt to talk it all out and Qualcomm and NVIDIA can settle. Ain't nobody cares about >5 million HTC or LG phones, but 50 million or so Samsung phones means a lot more to some rich dude's pocket.

As for the bigger picture, I hate software patents. But at first glance (from someone who isn't a lawyer of any type) some of these do look like original ideas that NVIDIA invented. While I think NVIDIA should share them freely, I imagine in court some of them will stand.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Samsung really has to stop stealing other peoples' [inappropriate language edited by Moderator]. Does a week go by when they aren't in court being accused of patent infringements?

Regardless, I'm sure that no ban will take place. Samsung has been threatened with bans before and it never comes to fruition.

You clearly have no understanding at all regarding intellectual property or the lawsuits over intellectual property rights over the past few years. It would probably best not to accuse Samsung of stealing when you have no idea of which you speak.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Jerry Hilldenbrand,
I believe you are closer to the truth than most of the other commentators here. NVIDIA is in a real bind, there core products are obsolete or unwanted in the market place. There new tablet chip sets are really not much better, if at all, over the Apple A8 and soon A9 or the Qualcom 805 and 810, or the Samsung Exanos (sp?) chip sets. Couple these two factors and NVIDIA has to be worried. Thus, litigate instead of innovate (where have we seen that before?). And by litigating now if they succeed to get licensing agreements from the big players they have a better chance of surviving until they do innovate.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Eh. We'll have the N4's in our hand before this even comes to light....

Besides, if it did happen before launch, I can see Richard going into convulsions.....

Denelor

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

I think this is more a matter of "If NVIDIA doesn't go to the ITC, they will lose their case in court" more than they want Samsung phones banned. Pretty sure Nvidia would much rather get a buck or two for each Samsung phone sold. Targeting Samsung rather than HTC or LG means lawyers will be more apt to talk it all out and Qualcomm and NVIDIA can settle. Ain't nobody cares about >5 million HTC or LG phones, but 50 million or so Samsung phones means a lot more to some rich dude's pocket.

As for the bigger picture, I hate software patents. But at first glance (from someone who isn't a lawyer of any type) some of these do look like original ideas that NVIDIA invented. While I think NVIDIA should share them freely, I imagine in court some of them will stand.

The other reason to go after Samsung, rather than LG or HTC, is that if NVIDIA can win against Samsung, HTC and LG are much more likely to settle rather than fight. Essentially NVIDIA is picking a fight with the biggest kid on the block to get the inevitable out of the way and to make it much easier to get all the other kids to fall in line.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae