Note 4 What is a good phone to trade in?

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm doing the BB gig and I want to but an old cheapy what do you guys suggest? I was thinking Droid X2 that seems to be the cheapest I could find. Trade in value said $15 in good condition $6.75 in poor.

Posted via Android Central App

mrhankey184

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: What is a good phone to trade in?

So you got your preorder in? Good. If that is the case any working smart phone can be used that isn't damaged and can power on. Value doesn't matter at all - They prefer IOS, Android, or Windows OS on the phone. I did get a confirm they would take a blackberry but I'm not going to risk it. I'll turn in a first generation android to get the $200 credit.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

So you got your preorder in? Good. If that is the case any working smart phone can be used that isn't damaged and can power on. Value doesn't matter at all - They prefer IOS, Android, or Windows OS on the phone. I did get a confirm they would take a blackberry but I'm not going to risk it. I'll turn in a first generation android to get the $200 credit.

That was my thinking...but most Samsung phones are still too expensive! And I prefer it be AT&T so in case they do try to deny it I can use it as a backup. I pre ordered last week some time in store. I will add a line with two year contract then promptly pay the ETF too get rid of the contract and also get the $15 per month discount. It's cheaper than paying $825 plus 8.35% tax.

mrhankey184

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

Smart - I heard people are buying smart phones from best buy that use some prepaid service for like $20-30. Or ask a friend or family member for an old IOS or Android device. My mother had an old device I can use, but I am bringing in a few just in case.

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

That was my thinking...but most Samsung phones are still too expensive! And I prefer it be AT&T so in case they do try to deny it I can use it as a backup. I pre ordered last week some time in store. I will add a line with two year contract then promptly pay the ETF too get rid of the contract and also get the $15 per month discount. It's cheaper than paying $825 plus 8.35% tax.

Hmm, so you pay $99 after the instant rebate. But you still need to pay (1) tax on the device ~ $58 (2) $40 activation fee on ATT (3) $325 ETF (4) first month's payment on ATT bill ~$40.

Guess you would save a bit compared to purchasing full price off contract.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, so you pay $99 after the instant rebate. But you still need to pay (1) tax on the device ~ $58 (2) $40 activation fee on ATT (3) $325 ETF (4) first month's payment on ATT bill ~$40.

Guess you would save a bit compared to purchasing full price off contract.

Tax is only $25.41 since the full price would have been $299. I live in Illinois we don't have to pay tax on full retail price. If I buy outright it is close to $900 with tax included. So yes, this is about half the cost. Plus I am selling my M8 for ~300. Also get a $100 bill credit for activating new line.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Smart - I heard people are buying smart phones from best buy that use some prepaid service for like $20-30. Or ask a friend or family member for an old IOS or Android device. My mother had an old device I can use, but I am bringing in a few just in case.

I heard this also. But this phrase on the BB page bothers me..."Trade in value may vary". Why does that matter if I'm getting a $200 gift card regardless?

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

The Samsung rep in my local Best Buy said any smartphone (including prepaid $20 ones that you can buy there too).

Just a poorly described and executed promotion, if you ask me...

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

The Samsung rep in my local Best Buy said any smartphone (including prepaid $20 ones that you can buy there too).

Just a poorly described and executed promotion, if you ask me...

I was told any working smart phone but I want to be safe. I feel they will try too use any technicality to disqualify us lol.

poena

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site

I have a droid X but the battery is busted. should I risk buying a new battery and turning that one in? think they will take the original droid X?

I also have a galaxy nexus but I wanted to keep it and an original droid but the screen is cracked

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I have a droid X but the battery is busted. should I risk buying a new battery and turning that one in? think they will take the original droid X?

I also have a galaxy nexus but I wanted to keep it and an original droid but the screen is cracked

What's the model number? Cuz typing in 'Droid X' yields a lot of results lol

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Tax is only $25.41 since the full price would have been $299. I live in Illinois we don't have to pay tax on full retail price. If I buy outright it is close to $900 with tax included. So yes, this is about half the cost. Plus I am selling my M8 for ~300. Also get a $100 bill credit for activating new line.

I thought the $100 credit was for activating a new line on the ATT Next program?

Get $100 bill credit when you add a new line with AT&T Next

Here’s how it works
Whether you already have an AT&T account, or you’re choosing AT&T for the first time, it’s easy to receive a $100 bill credit:

Purchase a new smartphone on AT&T Next.
Activate a new qualified wireless line of service on your new smartphone.
Remain active and in good standing.
Receive your $100 bill credit within 3 bill cycles.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

I took my Droid X in to Best Buy. They checked it out and said yes, this is fine. You have to turn it on to prove it works. You can get batteries from Amazon for $5. Better order one now so you have it in time.

They won't take smartphones with cracked screens.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I thought the $100 credit was for activating a new line on the ATT Next program?

Get $100 bill credit when you add a new line with AT&T Next

Here’s how it works
Whether you already have an AT&T account, or you’re choosing AT&T for the first time, it’s easy to receive a $100 bill credit:

Purchase a new smartphone on AT&T Next.
Activate a new qualified wireless line of service on your new smartphone.
Remain active and in good standing.
Receive your $100 bill credit within 3 bill cycles.

Yea that's true but even without it's a much better deal to do it this way.

evobassfish

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

You guys think BB will accept my palm pre or pixi for the trade in?

poena

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site

I took my Droid X in to Best Buy. They checked it out and said yes, this is fine. You have to turn it on to prove it works. You can get batteries from Amazon for $5. Better order one now so you have it in time.

They won't take smartphones with cracked screens.

thanks just ordered a battery from amazon! hoping they will take my droid X as trade in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed