Note 4 Display

tartrate

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
How good is the screen, really?

The following seems to describe it aptly (from a Russian tech website, translated):

"In my opinion, the amount of work that Samsung has done in SuperAMOLED screens, created a gap between the closest competitors for years...The bottom line is I want to mention that the screen in Note 4 can be called a work of engineering art - it's the best screen..."

And from the same review, a super magnified picture showing the display of the Note 4. It looks sharper than print found in high quality artbooks!

add1.jpg

For me the display is the primary reason why I cannot even consider other phones (M8, G3, IP6, X, S5). This plus the battery life makes it a strong choice for me and I think is well worthy of being called the best phone out there. And that's not even looking at everything else on this powerhouse!

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

The following seems to describe it aptly (from a Russian tech website, translated):

"In my opinion, the amount of work that Samsung has done in SuperAMOLED screens, created a gap between the closest competitors for years...The bottom line is I want to mention that the screen in Note 4 can be called a work of engineering art - it's the best screen..."

And from the same review, a super magnified picture showing the display of the Note 4. It looks sharper than print found in high quality artbooks!

For me the display is the primary reason why I cannot even consider other phones (M8, G3, IP6, X, S5). This plus the battery life makes it a strong choice for me and I think is well worthy of being called the best phone out there. And that's not even looking at everything else on this powerhouse!

Go check it out at your local Best Buy that way you can see it for yourself. What might be amazing to me or others, might be pure crap to you. Just go look and form an opinion that's your own!!

I myself find it amazing. But that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :)

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Go check it out at your local Best Buy that way you can see it for yourself. What might be amazing to me or others, might be pure crap to you. Just go look and form an opinion that's your own!!

I myself find it amazing. But that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :)

Indeed people say the G3's QHD is washed out and I have seen the word dismal being used, the latter I believe they need to go to see an optician.

However it shows that its subjective I think the G3's display is crisp & clear, nice soft tones which I like..a beautiful & incredible screen.

As will the Note 4's be except more popping colours and I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Indeed people say the G3's QHD is washed out and I have seen the word dismal being used, the latter I believe they need to go to see an optician.

However it shows that its subjective I think the G3's display is crisp & clear, nice soft tones which I like..a beautiful & incredible screen.

As will the Note 4's be except more popping colours and I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

I agree. The G3's screen to me was/is great! Some like "popping" colors and others like "subtle" colors. I prefer, like you, screens that aren't about to blind you with over bright colors. BUT, the reason I'm going with the N4 (gave G3 to my dad) is because of 1. the S-Pen and 2. G3's lagginess. The lag is subjective though but to me, it was pronounced.

Last edited:

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Only problem I have with my g3 is it occasionally fails to register input on the screen. I can keep tapping and it I'll do nothing. The screen on the g3 is fantastic but not as bright as I would like.

I played with the note 4 yesterday at best buy and immediately knew I wanted it. The screen is so much more vibrant than the g3. It really pops from the display. That with the new enhancements and build of the note 4 and I immediately called Verizon and ordered one.

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
In basic mode it is pretty well calibrated (actually it is most accurate display) according to display mate,phone arena and some russian websites (which have reviewed it)

Also it can reach ~700nits when in auto brightness mode.

So yeah I think it is pretty much the smartphone having the best display on market.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Honestly if your like over saturation of color then the note 4 screen is the best. Even if you don't love it still can be the best depending on how picky you are and what is more important. Generally it has the best screen of any phone in the market Imo. Amoled has its advantages over lcd but it's all preference of color palette you like. If you prefer true color represention the LG G3 will be the best counting resolution but honestly I think the nexus 5 or iPhone 6 plus (just the plus 1080p screen) looks amazing and I think better then the g3

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree. The G3's screen to me was/is great! Some like "popping" colors and others like "subtle" colors. I prefer, like you, screens that aren't about to blind you with over bright colors. BUT, the reason I'm going with the N4 (gave G3 to my dad) is because of 1. the S-Pen and 2. it's lagginess. The lag is subjective though but to me, it was pronounced.

Fortunate enough not to have any lag issues with the G3, I do however have an auxiliary one that is very annoying but its down to the 4 pole headphones i think. Yes I like subtle tones and as stated the G3 as a whole is a great device.

Some have had a few issues and thus hindering the enjoyment (that's unfortunate). The Note range I have always liked and it will be great to compare the two.

I like a lot of which Samsung has implemented in the Note 4..

Like you all its going to be goooood when it finally arrives.

Enjoy folks and hope it comes sooner rather than later for you all.

Peace :)

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
You cannot use N4's saturation against it, because if you switch Display modes, it has the most accurately colored screen to exist so far.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You cannot use N4's saturation against it, because if you switch Display modes, it has the most accurately colored screen to exist so far.

Exactly. I don't know why some people are saying others have more accurate colors, which is false. The Note 4 is the most accurate and has different color vibrancy settings to suit everyone's tastes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Lol? I've used adaptive display on my galaxy tab s 10.5 and it looks like crap if you turn on basic mode.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
It's been officially tested, thoroughly reviewed and proven to be the best (near perfect, see below).

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-4-edge-screen-525740/
- " Display Mate states this is the most color accurate smartphone or tablet screen they have tested."

The full report (insanely detailed) is here :
http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm
- "The measured Absolute Color Error for the Galaxy Note 4 is just 1.5 JNCD, which is visually indistinguishable from perfect... "

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, the often-parroted statement that the other display modes are "color accurate" is completely false. They're not at all.

Interested to see Anandtech's analysis on this bad boy. They're far and away the best, most accurate and most comprehensive imo. How bright is max brightness, auto-not withstanding? My S4 supposedly could get extremely bright in the sun, according to reviews. What I found in the real world (and what every single review failed to mention) was that the autobrightness was choppy and slow to respond, sun viewing still terrible and usual running brightness about half as bright as my M7 with auto on both. That's a huge, huge ding against the screen that went completely unmentioned. Definitely should wait and see for yourself.

If this is a typical AMOLED situation, it'll really come down to preference. Do you like the advantages of AMOLED in everyday use, vs more realistic colors? It's definitely understandable if you do; Sammy designed it that way.

Posted via Android Central App

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
It's been officially tested, thoroughly reviewed and proven to be the best (near perfect, see below).

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-4-edge-screen-525740/
- " Display Mate states this is the most color accurate smartphone or tablet screen they have tested."

The full report (insanely detailed) is here :
http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm
- "The measured Absolute Color Error for the Galaxy Note 4 is just 1.5 JNCD, which is visually indistinguishable from perfect... "

Lol DisplayMate. Were you around for their S4 test? It was thoroughly dissected on this forum. They'd make statements that blatantly conflicted with the graphs they posted.

Take anything and everything those guys say with a HUGE grain of salt. It's important to keep in mind that they're a commercial website with commercial interests and Samsung's pockets are very deep. I'm going to wait for a display analysis from Anandtech. Also, keep your eyes out for Erica Griffin's review on youtube. She consistently tells it like it is in her in depth analysis.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Super amoled plus super high ppi, match made in heaven!

I went through HOX, Nexus 5 myself, also watched iphone 6 plus vs note 4 video, I honestly do not believe there is anything better.

"Accurate color" means next to nothing to me on a smartphone. Just like "accurate as print" taunted by apple's fuzzy font means next to nothing to me.

My note 3 is readily readable in sun light with auto brightness on, I don't see how that's a problem.

@T-Mobile GN3

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Lol DisplayMate. Were you around for their S4 test? It was thoroughly dissected on this forum. They'd make statements that blatantly conflicted with the graphs they posted.

Take anything and everything those guys say with a HUGE grain of salt. It's important to keep in mind that they're a commercial website with commercial interests and Samsung's pockets are very deep. I'm going to wait for a display analysis from Anandtech. Also, keep your eyes out for Erica Griffin's review on youtube. She consistently tells it like it is in her in depth analysis.

Unless you have clear evidence suggesting somehow the test was fake, I don't see how display mate somehow is not trustworthy.

All the sources you mentioned are commercial website, anandtech famously compared oc'ed card to reference card in their reviews, completely screwing the standard of honesty. Its smartphone battery run down are never represent anything close to reality.

Everybody had their own objectives, least we can do, is respecting the data.

@T-Mobile GN3

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely love the over saturation and vibrancy of the SAMOLED screens. It makes things look much better. As mentioned by many people already, they added a basic option that gives you more realistic colors if that's what you want. It's been tested and said that, with basic mode enabled, the colors on the Note 4 are more accurate than any other phone.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love the over saturation and vibrancy of the SAMOLED screens. It makes things look much better. As mentioned by many people already, they added a basic option that gives you more realistic colors if that's what you want. It's been tested and said that, with basic mode enabled, the colors on the Note 4 are more accurate than any other phone.
Basic looks washed out..... It's not similar to LCD displays at all. If you don't like the the color saturation amoled isn't the "best"

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Basic looks washed out..... It's not similar to LCD displays at all. If you don't like the the color saturation amoled isn't the "best"

That's because "realistic" colors do look washed out on a screen. There have been many complaints of the G3's LCD looking washed out.