Note 4 ... SD Card ... what to choose

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I have already preordered my Note 4 (I wouldn't give up my Note 3 but hubby needed a new phone so he is taking my note 3 and I am getting his upgrade Note 4 hehehe). However, I am so confused on the SD card situation. I know they support up to a 128 MB on the sd card but I want to get a good one. Some say only get the Sandisk branch. A Besy Buy employee said the Pny branch is very good and that is all he uses. While I was buy one I want to get the max as a just in case while I was spending the money but heard good and bad about that. Someone on here said the write speed of the Note 4 is only 30 gb so no need to buy a better card because it cant keep up with it anyway. See confused I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need some good information to help me out as I have seen some really good deals esp on Best Buy on a 64 gb extreme Sandisk for like $54.99. But then the Pny 128 gb I have seen for 60 some bucks. Decisions decisions HELP!!!!!!!!!!

bullz7210

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I bought a 32gb Sandisk for my Note 2 a few years ago. It quit working after 3 months, and trying to get it replaced through Sandisk, they never sent me the replacement.

Soooo, I am trying out the Samsung cards this time. Ordered this 61x7HegbYvL._SL1500_.jpg

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I use Scandisk with no problems ever over the years. I currently have 2 128GB Class 10 micro Scandisk cards. One in my Note 3 since the Note 3 came out and one in my Samsung New Series 9 labtop since June 2012. No problems with either one.
Since you don't have the phone yet watch the Amazon daily deals for the Scandisk 128GB. I normally sells on Amazon for 109.99 but regularly goes on sale for 99.99 or less.

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
61I5xhP1XrL._SL1500_.jpg

Samsung Electronics 64GB PRO Micro SDXC with Adapter Upto 90MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MG64DA/AM)

This is Samsung best and fastest sd card with Adapter available up to 90mb, samsung phones and SanDisk do not play well together. This Samsung sd card is very expensive 64 org price is $89.99 but you can find for around $60.00 now. I purchased the 32 for my note 3 from amazon, check amazon they always have them on sale.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
But then the Pny 128 gb I have seen for 60 some bucks. Decisions decisions HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I find it hard to believe you actually found a 128gb micro SDXC card for $60. I have a feeling you were looking at a larger SDHC card. I've not even seen a PNY 128gb micro SDXC.

Have you looked at the data you want to carry to see if a 64gb card is good enough?
I have a 128gb card in a tablet. It has about 70gb of media on it that I like to be able to carry. I trimmed that down a little and have about 60 in my 64gb card in my phone. That works well enough for me. And I always buy the cheapest (slower) cards. Write speed is a one time thing, I can wait. Read speed is always fast enough.

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Always, always go with Samsung Pro or Evo cards. 64gb is the best and more than enough for the average users. Otherwise buck up for the 128gb.

32gb internal plus 128gb external = Around an amazing 146gb total!

Posted via the Android Central App

thatdarnpunk

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Also is the EVO good enough or should I get the pro? I also heard that there are limits to how much the phone can read/write to the card making the card properties not useful after a certain point.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have already preordered my Note 4 (I wouldn't give up my Note 3 but hubby needed a new phone so he is taking my note 3 and I am getting his upgrade Note 4 hehehe). However, I am so confused on the SD card situation. I know they support up to a 128 MB on the sd card but I want to get a good one. Some say only get the Sandisk branch. A Besy Buy employee said the Pny branch is very good and that is all he uses. While I was buy one I want to get the max as a just in case while I was spending the money but heard good and bad about that. Someone on here said the write speed of the Note 4 is only 30 gb so no need to buy a better card because it cant keep up with it anyway. See confused I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need some good information to help me out as I have seen some really good deals esp on Best Buy on a 64 gb extreme Sandisk for like $54.99. But then the Pny 128 gb I have seen for 60 some bucks. Decisions decisions HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Where you see that PNY 128gb for $60?

IMO, the best deal out there is what somebody already posted up..

It is that Samsung Evo 64gb Class 10, for $31 and some change. IMO, that is the best deal under the sun. I got a 64gb Sandisk Ultra Class 10 in my Note 3, and I have movies galore, music galore, and pictures and videos galore, and I still got 23gbs free. However, I am a hog, I am getting the 128gb Sandisk Ultra Class 10 off Amazon for $109.99, free shipping. And Amazon's customer service and return policy is solid as a rock.

Amazon.com: SanDisk 128GB Ultra Class 10 Micro SDXC up to 48MB/s with Adapter (SDSDQUAN-128G-G4A) [Newest Version]: Computers & Accessories

That 64 gb sd card off Amazon for $31.?? IMO, is the best deal out there. But, I think the price has went up to $36.95 now..

thatdarnpunk

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It looks different than the one on Samsung's website.
Camera Accessories: Lenses, Batteries, Flashes, Cases & More | Samsung

Also, this is a Q&A from the Amazon page:
Will the Sumsung 64GB PRO SDXC work in a Galaxy Note 2 smartphone?
No, this is a full size SDXC card, not a Micro SDXC card.

The Micro SDXC version of this card is here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU88U...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3954801

No it's a micro. There are two card types, Evo and Pro. The Pro is the one you linked to and it has a faster read/write speed. But the EVO is the one for 31.76 listed here and it is micro sdxc.

Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 64GB EVO Micro SDXC with Adapter Upto 48MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MP64DA/AM): Electronics

AFnd

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Also is the EVO good enough or should I get the pro? I also heard that there are limits to how much the phone can read/write to the card making the card properties not useful after a certain point.

This is what I'm curious about. If you pair an EVO card with the Note 4, will the phone still be the bottleneck, or would it benefit from the PRO card?

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
This is what I'm curious about. If you pair an EVO card with the Note 4, will the phone still be the bottleneck, or would it benefit from the PRO card?

I'm betting no, there won't be a bottleneck. Maybe for things like a DSLR or something but with the new version of Android you can't put much on the SD card anyway. Photos and Music some apps maybe with root idk, that's about it to my knowledge.

Unless you need to read/write from the card almost in real time every second I don't see any need for the pro. Our cards are more for storage than for putting things on/off the card in real time.

Oh here's a link about the EVO vs PRO

AnandTech | Samsung Releases Standard, EVO and PRO SD Cards

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670