I work outside and my note 3 is great in direct sunlight. Has there been anything said about how the 4 will be outside?
    10-12-2014 02:40 PM
    Read the 4 is fine in direct sun but the screen is very reflective
    zorian99 likes this.
    10-12-2014 02:41 PM
    Reviewers say it is very good in sunlight, because it has one of, if not the, brightest screens to ever exist

Posted via the Android Central App
    zorian99 likes this.
    10-12-2014 02:43 PM
    I won't have my Note 4 until tomorrow (Yea!!!) so I can't speak from experience but here is an excerpt from the DisplayMate Technologies review:

"Our Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light quantitatively measures screen visibility under bright Ambient Light – the higher the better. As a result of its high Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy Note 4 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 71 to 93, among the highest that we have ever measured.

"More importantly, on the Galaxy Note 4 the Maximum Brightness can go much higher when Automatic Brightness is turned On, so that users can’t permanently park the Manual Brightness slider to very high values, which would run down the battery quickly. High screen Brightness is only needed for High Ambient Light, so turning Automatic Brightness On will provide better high ambient light screen visibility and also longer battery running time.

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy Note 4 reaches an impressive 750 cd/m2 in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – it is the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested. As a result of its high Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy Note 4 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 100 to156, the highest that we have ever measured for any mobile display. See the Brightness and Contrast, the High Ambient Light and the Screen Reflections sections for measurements and details."

You can read the entire DisplayMate review here.
    zorian99 and Katrina White1 like this.
    10-12-2014 03:55 PM
    I also hope it dims more..My note two is too bright in the very dark.
    Katrina White1 likes this.
    10-12-2014 09:19 PM
    It does, Displaymate said it has one of the dimmest screens on the lowest setting.

10-12-2014 09:20 PM
    My Note 2 is not good outdoors on a bright day. Even with my body shading it from direct sunlight, it's tough to view/read the screen. I'm really hoping for significant improvement in this respect with the Note 4.
    10-12-2014 09:27 PM
    My Note 2 is not good outdoors on a bright day. Even with my body shading it from direct sunlight, it's tough to view/read the screen. I'm really hoping for significant improvement in this respect with the Note 4.
    Weird. My Note 2 is very readable in sunlight, but it has to be on full brightness.

Katrina White1 likes this.
    10-12-2014 09:49 PM
    It's supposed to dim more. I read it'll go to 1 nit (or whatever) and the N3 only went down to 3 nits. My N3 kills me 1st thing in the morning. It seems sooo bright. So a dimmer setting will be a welcomed change for me too.

Posted via Android Central App
    delco714 likes this.
    10-12-2014 10:42 PM
    So a dimmer setting will be a welcomed change for me too.

Well this works fine for me:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ightmode&hl=en
    delco714 likes this.
    10-13-2014 10:33 AM
    Outdoor brightness is important to me. I use my Galaxy S4 on a clip on my motorcycle handlebar as a GPS. The S4 is marginal, but it works.
    So.....
    I did a test with my S4, a coworkers S5, and an LG G3. I set them to max brightness, and put up the same Google Maps screen on them, and took them outside in bright sunlight. The G3 was a little brighter than my S4, and the S5 was even brighter. Very easy to read the map outdoors on the S5. And the more saturated colors makes it even better. The G3 colors were more subdued, which makes the maps harder to read.
    THEN, I went to a Best Buy. There, I compared an S5 to a Note 3. The Note 3 was about on equal with the S5 at max brightness, indoors. Then a week later, the BB store got in the Note 4. The Note 4 screen is even brighter then the Note 3, (still indoor at max brightness).
    So, in my person subjective test, I'm convinced that the Note 4 will be very easy to read in direct sunlight.

The next question, for me anyway, how much power will it take to light that huge slab at that brightness? My current charging system may not keep up.
    10-13-2014 11:14 AM
    The note 4 is equal to the S4 brightness, both on max indoors. If I'm interpreting the graphs right. That is to say, not very bright...

10-13-2014 11:22 AM
    The note 4 is equal to the S4 brightness, both on max indoors. If I'm interpreting the graphs right. That is to say, not very bright...

You are so wrong. Either the graphs are wrong or you read them wrong.

The N4 brightness exceeds even the S5 and Note 3 brightness.

10-13-2014 11:24 AM
    That is VERY WRONG.

The Note 4 is WAY brighter than my S4. Trust me, I have compared them a number of times.
    10-13-2014 11:38 AM
    You are so wrong. Either the graphs are wrong or you read them wrong.

The N4 brightness exceeds even the S5 and Note 3 brightness.

From my side-by-side comps against my Note 3 - while standing at the Samsung display @ Best Buy, the N4 is far brighter than the N3, and the S5, in manual mode, on both devices. I never tried auto-brightness, but I can only imagine it being even brighter.
    10-13-2014 11:56 AM
    From my side-by-side comps against my Note 3 - while standing at the Samsung display @ Best Buy, the N4 is far brighter than the N3, and the S5, in manual mode, on both devices. I never tried auto-brightness, but I can only imagine it being even brighter.
    Yeah, you dont even need to do it in person. Videos showing the two side by side show the N4 having a BRIGHT WHITE screen compared to the others' yellowish tint.

Auto brightness puts the N4's brightness over 100%.

10-13-2014 12:10 PM
    Try Screen Filter
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.haxor
    10-13-2014 04:48 PM