People who have their Note 4's, could you give a quick finger print sensor review

David Lees1

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
This is one of my most looked for feature, and Ive heard that it works better than it has on previous Samsung phones.

Anyone have any impressions they can share?

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
It works pretty well. Make sure some part of your registered finger covers the touch pad otherwise, you'll most likely get an error. Also be sure to register the finger print on multiple angles so that your chances of it working for you increase.

Things I don't like about it:

You have to have a pretty lengthy password as a backup. You cannot use a pin as the backup. I think it's a minimum of 8 characters and has to have letters and numbers.

I also wish you could register more than 3 fingers. Even if it does potentially slow things down a bit, I'd rather have the option. I have my right thumb and right index finger programmed and also my partner's thumb. Most people probably won't care...but his iPhone can store many more fingers than the Note 4 can store.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Marq. It works pretty well... I tested it for awhile last night and was able to get in without much effort. I haven't decided if I want to use it all the time or not.

GrassyKnoll312

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I read somewhere that you can register more than 3 fingers. During the setup, you swipe each finger multiple times (say 10). So rather than swiping 3 fingers 10 times each, you could swipe all 10 fingers 3 times each or some variant thereof.

No idea if this actually works well as I don't have a Samsung yet, but it may be worth a try.

Posted via Android Central App

guitarskoota

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
What I want to know is - I hear that you can use fingerprint scanner for lockscreen and for password input for websites and whatnot. But can you use the website password feature, without having a fingerprint lockscreen on?

int_architect

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm enjoying the fingerprint scanner. It's pretty accurate. I even registered my right thumb sideways since I hold the phone in my right hand. It won't register fingers I didn't scan. Also not a fan of the password backup (it's actually a minimum of 6 characters); would have preferred a 4-digit PIN.

tbocfo

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
On my S5 I did not use it because it would take multiple swipes to unlock. The Note 4 is better 1 maybe 2 swipes and I'm in.

Posted via the Android Central App

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I'm enjoying the fingerprint scanner. It's pretty accurate. I even registered my right thumb sideways since I hold the phone in my right hand. It won't register fingers I didn't scan. Also not a fan of the password backup (it's actually a minimum of 6 characters); would have preferred a 4-digit PIN.

Lol thanks for the correction. I was too lazy to investigate the correct number. Consequence of being up with my new phone all night. Haha.

int_architect

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Lol thanks for the correction. I was too lazy to investigate the correct number. Consequence of being up with my new phone all night. Haha.
I completely understand. I had to force myself to go to sleep. Had to hit the coffee hard this morning as a result of hanging out with my phone.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Do we have to start the swipe on the screen and not just the home button?

I also second the notion of the length of the password being too long

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Note sure if the Note 4 is the same, but I can confirm that the S5 allows you to use more than one finger on each of the three saved prints. I have my two thumbs swiped 15 tines each from varying angles. Still doesn't work as well as I would like so I am hoping for improvements on the Note 4.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nate512

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I love the fingerprint scanner it's very handy! I have a perfect amount of security and it's very simple and quick to use.

You don't have to start your finger on the screen just put your finger on the decent size home button and swipe down. I would say it reads 95% of the time. It only messes up if I half *** my scan.

You can record multiple fingers, I have my thumb and index finger. I also have my girlfriends profile to so she can use my phone whenever. It truly is amazing I will use it for websites and app too!

Posted on T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4

bsulla

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I had no problem registering but cannot unlock the phone. Some error message every time. Disappointed to say the least.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I read somewhere that you can register more than 3 fingers. During the setup, you swipe each finger multiple times (say 10). So rather than swiping 3 fingers 10 times each, you could swipe all 10 fingers 3 times each or some variant thereof.

No idea if this actually works well as I don't have a Samsung yet, but it may be worth a try.

Posted via Android Central App

I deleted one of my fingers and registered two fingers under one association. Seems to be working just fine! Thanks for the tip!

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My Note 4 comes in tomorrow, but what bothers me most about this fingerprint scanner is the lack of support. Sammy should've gotten more apps to take advantage of the fingerprint scanner. Without it, it virtually renders the fingerprint scanner much more useless. Even Apple opened up its fingerprint scanner to the developers. I'm very disappointed in Samsung.

So far, the only thing we can do is:
-Unlock the phone
-Use Paypal (Google Wallet really needs to get with the program!)
-Manage Passwords (or at least I think you can with LastPassword, a subscription service many don't have)

Done ranting :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1