Will all Note 4 Tempered Glass Screen Protectors have this "Halo" effect?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
maj71303 posted this picture of his new Note 4 with a tempered glass screen protector.

It has a halo effect around the edges because of the Note 4's rounded glass.

Will all tempered glass screen protectors produce this halo effect?

I'm thinking this is why the Spigen GlasTr for the Note 4 has vanished all of a sudden.

Please post what tempered glass you are using and if has this halo effect problem or not?

View attachment 141012

Last edited:

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
That's because the edges are not sticking. They're hovering above the rounded edges of the screen. All 2.5D screens have this issue with tempered glass protectors. Those edges will eventually become full of dust, since the sticky part isn't against the screen.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
That's because the edges are not sticking. They're hovering above the rounded edges of the screen. All 2.5D screens have this issue with tempered glass protectors. Those edges will eventually become full of dust, since the sticky part isn't against the screen.

That's what I'm afraid of. :'(

Paul An

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I purchased 6 glass screen protectors. 2 from invellop (they didnt even cover the usable part of the screen completely and issued me a refund). 2 from orzly (halo effect). 2 from tech armor (Halo affect but they demand to see a picture of it and I tell them that my only camera is the Note 4 so i cant provide one). I even bought regualr PET fil screen protectors. None fit at tall.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I may as well go ahead and return the one I bought. I won't have the N4 till Monday (vacation), but I highly doubt mine will be ok and every one else's is the same.

Posted via Galaxy Note 3

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Will there be a tempered glass protector that will work perfect on the Note 4 in the near future?

I doubt it. They would need to figure out how to make one that curves around the edges (which would be extremely fragile and difficult to install). 2.5D glass has been popular on phones since the Galaxy S3 and they haven't figured it out yet.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I heard Spigen pulled there's down to remanufacture do to this problem and will rerelease it soon. We shall see.

ohbreeeezy

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
This xda user also got the same halo.

Tempered Glass Screen Protectors - Post #97 - XDA Forums
1413304811122.jpg

anon(5503495)

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
How'd the manufacturers not know this would happen? Just gonna get zagg invisibleshield for now until this gets worked out. It usually wraps around the edges

Posted via Android Central App

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem with all the rounded edge phones and it still works great just looks funny. I've never had dust accumulate under the edges though. The only way the manufacturers can make it better is to cut the protector down to the usable screen size but it just looks bad then. The rounded edges is out of the question as it's to hard to manufacture.

I would rather have the halo knowing the screen is covered all the way than to have it narrow cut to just fit the usable screen area. But if you don't like it I think the plastic film protectors is the way to go. Me I'm going to stick with my halo Glass.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I've had the tempered glass protectors on my Note 2, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5 and have never seen this problem.
I guess the screen is different on the Note 4. :p

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I purchased 6 glass screen protectors. 2 from invellop (they didnt even cover the usable part of the screen completely and issued me a refund). 2 from orzly (halo effect). 2 from tech armor (Halo affect but they demand to see a picture of it and I tell them that my only camera is the Note 4 so i cant provide one). I even bought regualr PET fil screen protectors. None fit at tall.

IMO, this is happening with a lot of temp glass screen protectors. IMO, in the rush to get them out quickly, IMO, they weren't made correctly. Example, I had a cheap clone temp glass on my Note 3, it was perfect. In fact, I had a $35 Spigen on my Note 3 at first, and that didn't work out, returned it for a refund.

With the Note 4, one of the temp glass protector I ordered, the maker stopped shipping, and recalled it due to finding out that it was flaws in the fit. I thanked them for that, and I am waiting for the retooled one to be shipped. However, the Nillkin one that I do have, has a real sloppy fit. It is too small, and it covers up the facing camera..No big deal, either they will give me a refund of ship me a corrected one.

Same with the case I got on my Note 4, it is just like the one I had on the my Note 3, but the fit is awful.
However, not complaining about the bad fitting glass and case, they were here on day 1 to go on my Note 4 and keep it protected, that was the purpose of getting them. When I get the right ones, these will get thrown in the trash can.. :)

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I ordered this on on eBay Supershieldz Tempered Glass Screen Protector Shield for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | eBay and got the following message from them:

--------
Dear Customer
We would like to inform you that your order is scheduled to ship in Oct-13 because we just found out the note 4 has a Curved screen. So the film will not lay down correctly. We are making a correct one right now. The correct one will be instock on Oct-13.

Please let us know if you want to wait or cancel this order? we apologize for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,
Ann

----------

I'll let you know how it looks when I get it.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Well now to cancel my order. I do not want to deal with that. I would rather have scratches on my screen than deal with that crazy business.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20