Will all Note 4 Tempered Glass Screen Protectors have this "Halo" effect?

comfortably nub

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I sent my Zagg replacement in for another replacement and they told me this;

I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. We have done revisions of the Note 4 screen protector as we have found that the edges are curved which the invisibleSHIELD can’t stick to the curved edges. What I can do it place a warranty request for you and have a new revised screen sent to you. What you would need to do is call the customer service number below or place the warranty request online at ZAGG.com

As much as the two zagg's I've tried sucked their support is quick and quite good. I'll let you guys know how the new one goes

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
While the recent photos of a Spigen glass look very nice even it did not completely eliminate the halo. You can see it plainly running down the left side of the screen in the shot that is just of a portion of that left side. I don't think any of them that I have seen so far eliminate it completely. On the other hand I am not terribly bothered by it. It seems to go all the way out to the screen edge in some light in my case...is just a line like on the Spigen in other light and disappears when the display screen is actually active....the only time I care about. I will replace it when some company gets it figured out not because of the appearance of the halo but because of what the halo implies about contact with the glass surface.

What I did find interesting in this whole halo-gate experience is that the cost of these tempered glass protectors seems as much disassociated with their quality as in any product category I have ever seen. The Bodyguardz is a $45 protector....not a lick better than a $8.99 protector from what I could tell having at one point had them both. I think some of these companies are simply making you pay for their so-called insurance policies. Well if the cost of the policy is the replacement cost of the glass, haven't they just charged you the cost of two protectors only shipping you one? At the same time have they not committed you to replacing the first one with another of theirs if needed since you have already paid for it? A neat trick if a company can get away with it.

Last edited:

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I dont care about the halo effect I have on my protector. It is what it is, it isnt affecting my screen at all and it is only on the sides of the device and not directly affecting the screen. Personally, the halo isnt any more distracting than having a white Note 4. That was the only reason I got the black one was because the white was just too distracting to my viewing ability (just my personal opinion before anyone goes on the attack). As long as my screen is protected, I dont mind the halo effect at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
While the recent photos of a Spigen glass look very nice even it did not completely eliminate the halo. You can see it plainly running down the left side of the screen in the shot that is just of a portion of that left side. I don't think any of them that I have seen so far eliminate it completely. On the other hand I am not terribly bothered by it. It seems to go all the way out to the screen edge in some light in my case...is just a line like on the Spigen in other light and disappears when the display screen is actually active....the only time I care about. I will replace it when some company gets it figured out not because of the appearance of the halo but because of what the halo implies about contact with the glass surface.

What I did find interesting in this whole halo-gate experience is that the cost of these tempered glass protectors seems as much disassociated with their quality as in any product category I have ever seen. The Bodyguardz is a $45 protector....not a lick better than a $8.99 protector from what I could tell having at one point had them both. I think some of these companies are simply making you pay for their so-called insurance policies. Well if the cost of the policy is the replacement cost of the glass, haven't they just charged you the cost of two protectors only shipping you one? At the same time have they not committed you to replacing the first one with another of theirs if needed since you have already paid for it? A neat trick if a company can get away with it.

Personally, I dont care about the halo effect I have on my protector. It is what it is, it isnt affecting my screen at all and it is only on the sides of the device and not directly affecting the screen. Personally, the halo isnt any more distracting than having a white Note 4. That was the only reason I got the black one was because the white was just too distracting to my viewing ability (just my personal opinion before anyone goes on the attack). As long as my screen is protected, I dont mind the halo effect at all.

I agree with you 100%

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I purchased 6 glass screen protectors. 2 from invellop (they didnt even cover the usable part of the screen completely and issued me a refund). 2 from orzly (halo effect). 2 from tech armor (Halo affect but they demand to see a picture of it and I tell them that my only camera is the Note 4 so i cant provide one). I even bought regualr PET fil screen protectors. None fit at tall.

Yeah same here I just bought a 5 pack of anti glare screen protectors and so far so good...I hate a tech armor temper glass on my note 3 but I decided to keep it simple this time

Steven58

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I just contacted iloomi. They said they are testing a curved protector, but won't bring it to market unless it meets their "standards". In other words, there's no clear word. Me? I'm suck with a Zagg with halo.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The same iloome that just released their defective Flexmate as a revision to their original defective glass protector. They had to know the Flexmate was defective before they released it but they released them anyway.

bokehsan

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
You're better off using a good quality PET protector. They're not that bad. In a perfect world, Samsung wouldn't have made it curved.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The way companies work these days there are few left in decision making positions with a brain. All the gray matter left business in this country in the 2008-2009 economic meltdown. Now the children get to make decisions until that starts blowing up in their faces. Then the one guy they kept on that actually knows something gets to step in and make a decision. Sounds like SOP at iloome this days. Sounds like the guy or gal with a brain finally stepped in.

Android4life47

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I just contacted iloomi. They said they are testing a curved protector, but won't bring it to market unless it meets their "standards". In other words, there's no clear word. Me? I'm suck with a Zagg with halo.

Yes the iloome flex is as bad as the temp glass screen protector. When I got it it lasted like 2 hrs and started to lift up I emailed them and asked for my money back they wanted to send me another one but I said no.....

Pancho Marana

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion, this is not the right tempered glass screen protector for the Note 4. The reason is, the Note 4 display side CURVES to the edge and if the screen protector is designed to cover everything, then yes it will have the halo effect. The proper sizing is one that will have a gap around the outline of the edges that does not cover the whole display side of the Note 4. It is smaller. Then there will be no halo effect. It is the same with IPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy S3. It will still protect your LCD in case you drop your phone. We sell screen high end quality screen protectors on eBay. eBay ID is ismartpc :)

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
hi Double923, can you post some pics with the screen off?

I am having the halo issue with my Note 4 (Zagg Invisible tempered glass) and wanna see if you can see the halo with the screen off. On mine, the halo is noticeable with the screen off but when the screen is on, you cant see it.

I am sorry. I no longer have the Note 4. I had to return it, not because I didn't like nor any issue with it. I still missed it.

fulleraj

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Sticking with the supershieldz tempered glass for now....yes there is a slight halo around all edges, until the screen protector companies get their act together. Did try the icarez film and was pleased with fit and finish, but want the feel and protection of glass in the meantime. Eagerly watching this thread until the holy grail of tempered glass protectors reveals itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Android4life47

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Sticking with the supershieldz tempered glass for now....yes there is a slight halo around all edges, until the screen protector companies get their act together. Did try the icarez film and was pleased with fit and finish, but want the feel and protection of glass in the meantime. Eagerly watching this thread until the holy grail of tempered glass protectors reveals itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Just like you're self I also went and got myself the icarez and I'm good with it yes it's not glass but it works for me till someone makes a good screen glass protector for the note

DAFFYDC

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a Zagg. They said they now have a new and improved version with no halo but are asking $20 to send a replacement.

DAFFYDC

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I sent my Zagg replacement in for another replacement and they told me this;

As much as the two zagg's I've tried sucked their support is quick and quite good. I'll let you guys know how the new one goes

I contacted ZAGG just recently but now they're asking $20 for a "Warranty replacement"

Joseph Pizzolatto

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I contacted ZAGG just recently but now they're asking $20 for a "Warranty replacement"

HAAA HAAA HAHAHA !! Looks like they got you ;) Seriously they managed to sell a product they don't actually have and had not actually developed (well got you to pay for it anyway), and now if they can get you to pay again then they get a double win. Besides.... you paid for a working product, they delivered one that is defective and they know it is defective; not they want you to pay again for a 'working product', if it is once again defective you'll have only yourself to blame

HAAAHAAAHAA---- oh wait, they got me to!!! damnit!! :) seriously i'm in the same boat as yourself. If they end up replacing for no additional shipping or charges (by whatever name), then I'm ok with everything; if they demand more money or simply cannot seem to respond to my request for such then I'll just report such here then proceed to do business with someone who dose not steal from their customers :)

BTW -anyone- who has ordered this product from Zagg's directly has received something which is not exactly as described. If you used a credit card you are entitled to a refund through your credit card company (well VISA anyway and I expect the same goes for mastercard and AMEX). This is a full refund, no special shipping deductions or anything just 'your money back'. Simply dispute the charge after contacting VISA (or sometimes your bank will help you, mine has in the past done so), explain the grounds you are disputing the charge on ("Product not as described"; ie not properly designed for the note4 as evidenced by the lifting edges), and get your money back then decide who you wish to do business with in future.

Of course you should
1.) contact Zagg's for assistance first (try to get them to resolve the issue)
2.) DO NOT tell them you will dispute the charge, if 1.) does not produce a result simply dispute the charge without further discussion.
If you do 'threaten to dispute the charge' they may just promise you assistance in a legit fashion but simply burn up the time you are allowed to dispute the charge ("so sorry, you didn't receive the replacement?? we'll address that with more promises and delays until you can no longer dispute the charge :D").

for a protector that's 10 dollars delivered who's gonna bother with this but for a Zagg's I paid 35 bucks for mine. For super high quality service and for a really well designed protector (all the details -will- be right), this is worth it to me, even though I know it is far cheaper than this to produce. For what I got, this is not worth it and for a request that I spend more money to get them to make things right I'm actually offended.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

That is ridiculous. They have a lifetime warranty and are replacing a defective product and they want $20 to do so? That's more than enough to stop me from ever buying a Zagg product.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle