Will all Note 4 Tempered Glass Screen Protectors have this "Halo" effect?

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Everyone I know that has a Note 4 & has put a glass protector on is unhappy! Either because the protector is cut to small for their liking not providing full screen protection or its the halo issue, some have both. I searched A LOT & with much hesitation, decided to try the new Zaag HDX Protector (Hi Def. Xtreme Protect.) and no, it's NOT glass. However, it IS the BEST choice I could have made! My screen feels (& looks) like it's bare! No glare, no halo, no rubbery, sticky, no dragging feel with your finger or the pen, there's none of that! It's extremely easy to put on (1st time I did it myself & it was really easy. ) Its also case friendly. As an additional note: I saw a comment from someone saying they had indentation marks on the screen from keys or after using their spen after putting this protector on, and I must say, I have not had any of these problems. Im also a very heavy spen user, about 95% of the time. If you looked at my screen right now, you'd almost swear it was "bare." Im really very happy with it.

Posted From MY Next Big Thing!!

Last edited:

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Iloome Screen mate flex 8H on black T-Mobile. Halo free. The two left and bottom right corners aren't completely adhered but it's an extremely small amount. Very hard to see unless your looking for it. Only been two days, but the corners are actually laying better as time goes on... YMMV. This is just my result.

Impressions:

Looks - great! Larger than the small tempered glasses that are halo free. Crystal clear and no adhesive border like the ZeroLemon (previous favorite) or Supershieldz. Looking straight on, you can hardly tell it's there.

Install - just as easy as the other tempered glasses. Its thinner so you have to take a little more care, but some basic process. Requires a little squeegeeing but was easy with the supplied card and cloth.

Feel - someone coming from plastic will love it, coming from a ZeroLemon or mybat, it won't feel the same. Not bad by any means just not as slick. Added five coats of rain-x and now it's pretty dang close.

Overall, this is my new protector till something better comes along. Something to note® 😆 is the corners while barely noticeably on my black model, would be completely unnoticeable on a white model. I'll post some updated pictures in a week or so to show how it's holding up.

1474ce9c5d77a04ccc8d00edb960566f.jpg
89c23e3b5c8e91691443d62a64d94907.jpg
a5874db3d210c3a82e4a5d1a56c514fb.jpg

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
So the last one I tried even though it's not glad was the Zagg HDX. Its definitely without halo as it should be, it's plastic. Looks great. Install is a little trickier than the glass ones but the tabs help.

Pros
-Looks good, no halo.
-Self healing.
-Thick enough it should give good protection.
-Good warranty.

Con's
-Has a fair amount of drag with s-pen and finger. Much better than other plastics, just not like glass, even after three coats of rain-x.
-Not as clear as iloome flex or other glass protectors. Has a hazy appearance when screen is off compared to the glasses.
-S-Pen left trails all over the face of the phone. Some healed, but some remain.
-Expensive for plastic.

It's a viable option for someone who prefers plastic to glass, but for the money IMO the iloome is the better purchase. If you're having issues with either protector, my experiences with both customer services has been great. Not trying to bash Zagg at all, but for those who have a less curved screen as apparently I do, the iloome seems the better buy. For those with wicked curves, the HDX is probably your better option. Gonna try the zagg til Friday when my second iloome gets here. But most likely this HDX will be replaced with that.

20703d1d5803bf3d05e78fc4ed135fb7.jpg
c091c795c21b6b217a8401e53d086abc.jpg

Tried to show the trails but they wouldn't come out.
ebdc1d9dbf74ceaec7fd1bb102665d20.jpg

89b6b6cc28a63c5a680f2024bca7546e.jpg

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Amazon
Has anyone tried this one? Everyone says it is halo free. Super thin as well. Maybe it is thin enough it bends to the adhesive.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Amazon
Has anyone tried this one? Everyone says it is halo free. Super thin as well. Maybe it is thin enough it bends to the adhesive.
Yes it is the real deal! Similar to the iloome screenmate but no reports of lifting yet. I've had one on for 4 days now and it is gtg.

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is the real deal! Similar to the iloome screenmate but no reports of lifting yet. I've had one on for 4 days now and it is gtg.

I just ordered two...just in case I mess up. Is it difficult to apply?

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered two...just in case I mess up. Is it difficult to apply?

No it's not bad at all. But, it is different from the regular glass protectors. It's so thin you can't just hold it to apply. I would recommend the hinge method with the stickers. Make your hinges at the bottom of the phone so when your ready to apply, you can easily pull of the protective backing. Try to get your install environment as dust free as possible as these flexible ones are dust magnets as soon as you pull the backing off. If you do get something under it, just lift it up enough to slide another sticker in to pull of the dust or whatever is in there. Just make sure you don't touch the adhesive with your finger. Good luck and enjoy!

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
No it's not bad at all. But, it is different from the regular glass protectors. It's so thin you can't just hold it to apply. I would recommend the hinge method with the stickers. Make your hinges at the bottom of the phone so when your ready to apply, you can easily pull of the protective backing. Try to get your install environment as dust free as possible as these flexible ones are dust magnets as soon as you pull the backing off. If you do get something under it, just lift it up enough to slide another sticker in to pull of the dust or whatever is in there. Just make sure you don't touch the adhesive with your finger. Good luck and enjoy!

Sigh...sounds difficult. I'm so OCD! I'm sure i'll find a way to mess this up =( I ordered them from Amazon so I guess worst case, I can return them if needed ;)

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Sigh...sounds difficult. I'm so OCD! I'm sure i'll find a way to mess this up =( I ordered them from Amazon so I guess worst case, I can return them if needed ;)
Yeah plus you have two coming so you should be good! Just take your time aligning it, getting your stickers on and being as dust free as you can.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my third :( i found one that covers the entire screen however the problem with that design it doesn't help when you put a case on it. Because it puts a lot of pressure on the side which creates a even bigger halo. So not sure even with a full screen design would help :(

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my third :( i found one that covers the entire screen however the problem with that design it doesn't help when you put a case on it. Because it puts a lot of pressure on the side which creates a even bigger halo. So not sure even with a full screen design would help :(

Which brand are you referring to? Thx!