Note 4 group sms issues

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: group sms issues

Someone on another forum said the recent TMO update fixed their group sms issue. I'm assuming you have a TMO phone because of when you got it. If you haven't updated yet, try it and see if it works.

noteiii007

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Someone on another forum said the recent TMO update fixed their group sms issue. I'm assuming you have a TMO phone because of when you got it. If you haven't updated yet, try it and see if it works.

Yes I think the updated finally fixed it. Update really seems to fix some issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bruno Pjetri

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Im having similar issue with my Note 4 . I can send a group message to I phone users but do not get anybody's responce . Also I cannot send any texts with pictures , it fails after a hour of attempting to send .

gurked

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Have same issue. Swapped out iPhone 5 for Samsumg Galaxy Note 4. All other (5) family members still with iPhones. Called Apple Support to deactivate iMessage account. Can send and receive all individual SMS messages and can send group MMS to all family members but am not included on group MMS threads (conversations). Attempted switching from stock Samsung message service to Textra (which claims works with all iPhone messaging services) but problem persists. Have exhausted all troubleshooting avenues. Would appreciate any advice. Inability to participate in group (i.e. family) MMS messages would be a deal breaker and perhaps necessitate return to Apple device. Perish the thought!

gurked

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Identical problem as you are experiencing. Problem is my entire family (5) has iPhones and I can no longer follow group MMS threads. Just swapped in iPhone 2 days ago for Note 4. This will be a deal breaker for me if this issue cannot be resolved and I will have no choice but to turn in Note for iPhone 6+.

NewDroidUser1013

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Having a similar issue with group texing on the Note 4 I just switched to from an iphone. In some cases it works fine, but at times when I respond to a group text it goes to each person individually, like I only responded to them. I called at&t and the response I got was group texting only works on iphones. The people in the groups have different brands including Apple, samsung and HTC and theirs all work fine. I've turned off imessage and had my number removed. Also checked all the settings in the new phone. Any other thoughts?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Having a similar issue with group texing on the Note 4 I just switched to from an iphone. In some cases it works fine, but at times when I respond to a group text it goes to each person individually, like I only responded to them. I called at&t and the response I got was group texting only works on iphones. The people in the groups have different brands including Apple, samsung and HTC and theirs all work fine. I've turned off imessage and had my number removed. Also checked all the settings in the new phone. Any other thoughts?

There's a checkbox that shows up when you initiate a group message and it is also there when you are replying to a group message. It gives you the option to send the message in a group or individually to the recipients. Since it's working sometimes and sometimes not, maybe you are accidentally tapping the box while you are composing your reply and turning off the reply to group by unchecking that option. Maybe you can purposely send a group message and pay particular attention to this option and check your results.

2014-10-29 16.54.46.jpg

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the poster is talking about replying...he is not being included in the group getting the message in the first place if I understand him correctly.

I just got off the phone with Apple asking about this issue. I have mac computers but iPhone I am coming out of is my only Apple Mobile device that I can or have used to text. So they said that if I have mac computers I should not officially deactivate my phone number on imessage. So I guess I will give this a whirl and see what happens. I thought it interesting that one poster says he did officially deactivate his imessage account and he is still having issues.

NewDroidUser1013

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I thought that box was checked, but I will keep a close eye on it. I was in a group last night (actually a continued conversation in the group i had problems with before, so a good test) and didn't have any problems, but I kept an eye on that box to make sure it was checked every time. I will post again if the problem comes back. Thanks for the input!

FitzyBits

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have also had issues with this. I switched from an iPhone 5S, to the Note 4. I can send group messages but I don't get everyone's reply. For example in a group message to my dad and sister, I only got my sisters messages but not my dads. If I'm unable to fix this issues I think I'll switch back to Apple.

NerdTopper

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue as everyone but I was able to find a solution. I originally had the iPhone 5S, what I did to fix this issue was make "Hangouts" my default messaging app and I started receiving group messages again with no problem!!

noteiii007

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
My issue was originally inbound sms that didn't stay in group..once I updated with tmobile latest update it fixed it. I never had any issues outbound group sms to apple iphones. So to reconfirm no issues with my Tmobile note 4 with group sms to or from apple iphones.

Houman H

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
This is ridicules , i went to T mobile and asked them why Note 4 doesn't support Group SMS feature but Note 3 does? they said its about framework and as soon as Note 3 users upgrade frameworks they will no longer have group texting feature.. I asked him why? he said because Google wants to all of his users use hangout... i am about to return my note 4 and go back to iPhone. this is not acceptable :mad:

NVNJ

May 24, 2010
Visit site
This is ridicules , i went to T mobile and asked them why Note 4 doesn't support Group SMS feature but Note 3 does? they said its about framework and as soon as Note 3 users upgrade frameworks they will no longer have group texting feature.. I asked him why? he said because Google wants to all of his users use hangout... i am about to return my note 4 and go back to iPhone. this is not acceptable :mad:

I would take that reply with a grain of salt

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

The information you were given is about as accurate as a Politician's answer.

The Note 4 absolutely supports group MMS. The stock app does it reasonably well, Textra, Chomp and other 3rd party apps support it even more. It doesn't always cooperate with iMessage (iPhones) but that is not a flaw of the Note 4 or Android, that is iOS not willing to be compatible with other platforms.

If your phone isn't supporting Group MMS even after changing the settings to allow it, I would have someone at T-Mo Tech support look at the back side of your account provisioning, do a factory reset of your phone, or exchange it out.

It is absolutely, completely false that Samsung has made these phones not work with group MMS so that Google can get everyone to over onto hangouts. Samsung has no dog in that fight, and it would make their devices look bad, not Google. No way they're going to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

tasha_c

May 23, 2012
Visit site
The Note 4 absolutely supports group MMS. The stock app does it reasonably well, Textra, Chomp and other 3rd party apps support it even more. It doesn't always cooperate with iMessage (iPhones) but that is not a flaw of the Note 4 or Android, that is iOS not willing to be compatible with other platforms.

So I'm using Textra right now and like the OP, I'm getting the group messages individually or if I receive a group message & respond, only one person in the group will receive my response. The other people that I'm messaging are using iPhones, Android or Blackberries. Is this something that I have to deal with or where can I find the option in Textra to receive group MMS because I can't find it. Thanks!

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
So I'm using Textra right now and like the OP, I'm getting the group messages individually or if I receive a group message & respond, only one person in the group will receive my response. The other people that I'm messaging are using iPhones, Android or Blackberries. Is this something that I have to deal with or where can I find the option in Textra to receive group MMS because I can't find it. Thanks!

Like I said, there is no guarantee that these settings will work, when you are dealing with people that have iPhones. If they are all using iMessage, there is a good chance you're going to experience these issues. My wife has an iPhone but she has iMessage disabled because it created issues with us and a few other people she talks to. There are times when I group MMS and it works great, there are other times when one or two people respond to me individually from a group MMS. It's possible their phones aren't set up for group MMS.

Anyway...for Textra:

Textra-->Settings-->Use MMS for Group Chats

If you're on T-Mo there are a couple of other things you can try under the "Go here if MMS isn't working" section.

Good luck!

Just realize that there may be times where it just doesn't work, and it isn't because of your phone. iOS doesn't play nice in the sandbox.

thechristopherevers

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Did you switch from an iPhone to the N4? If so maybe the number needs to be removed from the iMessages database on iTunes.

^^
I switched from an iphone 4 to a note 4 recently and my friends have iphones and in the group chat, they text something and I can't receive the text. They say they sent it in i message then as a regular text message and I still don't get it. Please help.

AnimeKing

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

I'm having some simular issues ugh

Apparently I'm unable to receive text messages from my dad or my stepmom, both have Iphones. My dad can call me but I've had problems calling him (he says he never received calls that I made to his phone). But I get messages from my mom and my best friend apparently, both have non-iphones. So I think its a problem relating to Iphones somehow.

I upgraded my phone from a Iphone 4 to Galaxy Note 4 a few weeks ago.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

I'm having some simular issues ugh

Apparently I'm unable to receive text messages from my dad or my stepmom, both have Iphones. My dad can call me but I've had problems calling him (he says he never received calls that I made to his phone). But I get messages from my mom and my best friend apparently, both have non-iphones. So I think its a problem relating to Iphones somehow.

I upgraded my phone from a Iphone 4 to Galaxy Note 4 a few weeks ago.
This is a known issue when going from iPhone. You need to login to iMessage or Apple or whatever and dlete your information from iMessage. There are threads about it. Sorry I can't be more help.
I'll see if I can find one for you.
Here is a link that should do what I failed to describe. :)
https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Good Luck!
Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret