08-23-2015 12:59 PM
235 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I, unfortunately, have a host of issues to report. First, some background information and then my list of issues. I bought the Note 4 as an upgrade to my three-year-old Droid Bionic, which has become so extremely laggy that it is nearly unusable. I'm on Verizon and received my pre-ordered black Note 4 on the Verizon release date, October 23. It worked flawlessly for maybe three or four days, at most, before beginning to develop many of the same problems that plagued my Bionic.

Now, my issues:
    1. CPU performance. The general performance of my Note 4 is EXTREMELY is EXTREMELY spotty. I will frequently be typing and the keyboard will just stop responding. It won't vibrate, the text in the text box won't change, and the little letter popups won't appear. I'm using Samsung's keyboard. At first, I thought the issue was due to ununoptimized third party apps. However, it's begun to manifest itself in everything from Chrome and Facebook to the stock Messages app, so I don't think this is the explanation. Somewhat disturbed by this development, I downloaded Geekbench. I'd seen all the reviewers claim to be getting single core scores around 1000 and multi core scores well over 3000, both of which are very good. However, even with all other apps closed, I got a single core score of 800 and a multi core score of 2500, which is considerably lower than what the S5 gets. I did manage to get one run that scored 1100 and 3200, but all my other tests were much lower. Just a few minutes ago, I ran the benchmark again. I didn't bother closing all my apps this time, which could be part of the reason behind my absolutely abysmal single core score of 564 and my even worse multi core score of about 1600. Those numbers are both considerably lower than what was seen on the S4.

2. GPU. In addition to the problems my CPU seems to be having, my GPU is also encountering frequent issues. I can no longer open Instagram, read an article, scroll down a Web page, or even watch a YouTube video without my screen locking up for several seconds before suddenly jumping to where it should be. All of the aforementioned operations worked flawlessly for the first several days, but are now at a point where my ancient Bionic performs better.

3. Build quality. Along with my various software issues, I have some bones to pick about the hardware design. The volume keys and power button both feel extremely loose and can easily be wiggled in all four directions with at least a quarter of a millimeter of travel. It may not sound like much, but it's absolutely noticeable and extremely annoying, particularly in what is essentially a $1000 device. There is also a considerable amount of wiggle in my home button, but it's less of a problem.

4. Heat. My Note 4 runs very hot. Even when I'm not using it heavily, the back gets fairly warm. It's never gotten to a point of unusability, but it is really irritating. It seems to get hottest when it's running into any of the problems mentioned above. I'm not sure what the cause is, but I've noticed that it runs very warm since Day 1. It's just recently gotten to a point where I would describe the temperature as "hot". I can occasionally even feel the device's heat on my leg when it's in the pocket of my jeans.

5. Crashes. Many apps that I've downloaded recently have either failed to open, crashed immediately upon opening, or crashed shortly after opening. This can largely be attributed to software issues, but there have been a few cases which lead me to think that the phone itself may be at least partially responsible. The app/process "Google Search" crashes several times a day. Even if I haven't used Google Now or my browser, I'll randomly get a popup that says "Google Search has stopped responding and needs to close." or something along those lines. Because Google Search (I believe this is the name used internally by Google Now) is such a centrap feature of Android, I can't imagine that its crashes are being caused by a software issue rather than a hardware issue. On a side note, Words with Friends worked perfectly for the first week or so, but suddenly stopped opening altogether. I would tap on the app again and again, but nothing would happen. Not even after mumultiple restarts and battery removals. I have no idea what caused this and have since uninstalled the app.

6. App Drawer folders. (SOLVED) This is something that apparently was a problem on the Note 3 which has reappeared on the 4. When you create folders in the app drawer, you're given an opportunity to name the folder and then add apps. If you later decide you want to add more apps, the natural thing would be to open the folder, click the "+" button, and then select the apps you would like to add. This works, but only until you turn the phone off. Once it powers back on, you'll find that all the apps which were added to folders using this method have been kicked out of their folders and returned to the app drawer. Fortunately, there is a simple solution. Just tap the icon in the corner with three dots and select "Edit". Then open the folder you would like to add apps to, tap the "+" button, select all the apps you want to add, and press "Done". Your folders will now be saved and should remain exactly as they are no matter how many restarts you do. It's a stupid issue and, I would think, relatively easy to fix. It's fairly well documented as well, so the fact that Samsung STILL hasn't fixed this is unexcusable, and speaks volumes about the quality of their software development team.

Anyway, I think that's about it. If anyone has any advice or experience with these problems, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll keep looking around the Web for solutions and will keep you guys posted of anything I find as well as any new problems that develop.

At this point, I'm seriously exploring my return/refund/exchange options, and I would VERY strongly advise against purchasing one of these phones. This set of issues, combined with the debacle of the Bionic, has me seriously questioning Android's merits. In fact, if these problems continue and I'm able to get rid of my Note, I fully expect to switch to the 6 Plus, as my experiences with Samsung, Motorola, and Android have been nothing but bad.
    11-08-2014 05:51 PM
    I, unfortunately, have a host of issues to report. First, some background information and then my list of issues. I bought the Note 4 as an upgrade to my three-year-old Droid Bionic, which has become so extremely laggy that it is nearly unusable. I'm on Verizon and received my pre-ordered black Note 4 on the Verizon release date, October 23. It worked flawlessly for maybe three or four days, at most, before beginning to develop many of the same problems that plagued my Bionic.

Now, my issues:
    1. CPU performance. The general performance of my Note 4 is EXTREMELY is EXTREMELY spotty. I will frequently be typing and the keyboard will just stop responding. It won't vibrate, the text in the text box won't change, and the little letter popups won't appear. I'm using Samsung's keyboard. At first, I thought the issue was due to ununoptimized third party apps. However, it's begun to manifest itself in everything from Chrome and Facebook to the stock Messages app, so I don't think this is the explanation. Somewhat disturbed by this development, I downloaded Geekbench. I'd seen all the reviewers claim to be getting single core scores around 1000 and multi core scores well over 3000, both of which are very good. However, even with all other apps closed, I got a single core score of 800 and a multi core score of 2500, which is considerably lower than what the S5 gets. I did manage to get one run that scored 1100 and 3200, but all my other tests were much lower. Just a few minutes ago, I ran the benchmark again. I didn't bother closing all my apps this time, which could be part of the reason behind my absolutely abysmal single core score of 564 and my even worse multi core score of about 1600. Those numbers are both considerably lower than what was seen on the S4.

2. GPU. In addition to the problems my CPU seems to be having, my GPU is also encountering frequent issues. I can no longer open Instagram, read an article, scroll down a Web page, or even watch a YouTube video without my screen locking up for several seconds before suddenly jumping to where it should be. All of the aforementioned operations worked flawlessly for the first several days, but are now at a point where my ancient Bionic performs better.

3. Build quality. Along with my various software issues, I have some bones to pick about the hardware design. The volume keys and power button both feel extremely loose and can easily be wiggled in all four directions with at least a quarter of a millimeter of travel. It may not sound like much, but it's absolutely noticeable and extremely annoying, particularly in what is essentially a $1000 device. There is also a considerable amount of wiggle in my home button, but it's less of a problem.

4. Heat. My Note 4 runs very hot. Even when I'm not using it heavily, the back gets fairly warm. It's never gotten to a point of unusability, but it is really irritating. It seems to get hottest when it's running into any of the problems mentioned above. I'm not sure what the cause is, but I've noticed that it runs very warm since Day 1. It's just recently gotten to a point where I would describe the temperature as "hot". I can occasionally even feel the device's heat on my leg when it's in the pocket of my jeans.

5. Crashes. Many apps that I've downloaded recently have either failed to open, crashed immediately upon opening, or crashed shortly after opening. This can largely be attributed to software issues, but there have been a few cases which lead me to think that the phone itself may be at least partially responsible. The app/process "Google Search" crashes several times a day. Even if I haven't used Google Now or my browser, I'll randomly get a popup that says "Google Search has stopped responding and needs to close." or something along those lines. Because Google Search (I believe this is the name used internally by Google Now) is such a centrap feature of Android, I can't imagine that its crashes are being caused by a software issue rather than a hardware issue. On a side note, Words with Friends worked perfectly for the first week or so, but suddenly stopped opening altogether. I would tap on the app again and again, but nothing would happen. Not even after mumultiple restarts and battery removals. I have no idea what caused this and have since uninstalled the app.

6. App Drawer folders. (SOLVED) This is something that apparently was a problem on the Note 3 which has reappeared on the 4. When you create folders in the app drawer, you're given an opportunity to name the folder and then add apps. If you later decide you want to add more apps, the natural thing would be to open the folder, click the "+" button, and then select the apps you would like to add. This works, but only until you turn the phone off. Once it powers back on, you'll find that all the apps which were added to folders using this method have been kicked out of their folders and returned to the app drawer. Fortunately, there is a simple solution. Just tap the icon in the corner with three dots and select "Edit". Then open the folder you would like to add apps to, tap the "+" button, select all the apps you want to add, and press "Done". Your folders will now be saved and should remain exactly as they are no matter how many restarts you do. It's a stupid issue and, I would think, relatively easy to fix. It's fairly well documented as well, so the fact that Samsung STILL hasn't fixed this is unexcusable, and speaks volumes about the quality of their software development team.

Anyway, I think that's about it. If anyone has any advice or experience with these problems, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll keep looking around the Web for solutions and will keep you guys posted of anything I find as well as any new problems that develop.

At this point, I'm seriously exploring my return/refund/exchange options, and I would VERY strongly advise against purchasing one of these phones. This set of issues, combined with the debacle of the Bionic, has me seriously questioning Android's merits. In fact, if these problems continue and I'm able to get rid of my Note, I fully expect to switch to the 6 Plus, as my experiences with Samsung, Motorola, and Android have been nothing but bad.
    I have a black N4 from VZW too and am seeing none of those major issues. My only major issue is with wifi in one location. I would suggest the factory reset and then a return or maybe just an exchange. I wouldn't say I advise not buying the phone based off just your experience. You also can't blame hardware problems on a Operating system especailly one that has changed o much since the bionic. No phone is perfect including the iphone. Best of luck to you.
    Yellow-06-GT likes this.
    11-10-2014 08:14 AM
    I, unfortunately, have a host of issues to report. First, some background information and then my list of issues. I bought the Note 4 as an upgrade to my three-year-old Droid Bionic, which has become so extremely laggy that it is nearly unusable. I'm on Verizon and received my pre-ordered black Note 4 on the Verizon release date, October 23. It worked flawlessly for maybe three or four days, at most, before beginning to develop many of the same problems that plagued my Bionic.....

Considering that you are describing issues that virtually no one else is reporting, (especially the "running hot" problem) and everything you describe points to a bad hardware issue, it would be more prudent for you to exchange the phone for a new one and attempt to use that before declaring that the entire model line is bad.

You got a 3 year service life out of your previous Android phone, and one that was not generally regarded as an outstanding device to begin with. You're hardly making a case for "Android=Bad."

If you don't like your experience, great. Return the phone, get a 6+ and enjoy. But you do not have enough information to make a blanket declaration about the entire product line. Especially when there are many, many others who are not experiencing the issues you describe and are perfectly happy with their phones.
    11-10-2014 04:11 PM
    I have real issue in my note 4. The cellular modem stop working few times a day while using mainly. Browser. . It happens sometime that emails and whatsapp continue working. The only solution for me today is either restart or enter flight mode and than cancel flight mode.
    Any one face this issue? Any solution?
    11-11-2014 04:58 PM
    It's unfortunate that lemons make it past quality control. But, it does seem as if you've gotten a bad phone as the issues you're encountering are not the general experience of Note 4 owners. Also, not all Note 4s are produced in the same plants (as evidenced by a thread a few weeks ago). You should easily be within a replacement window if you just got the phone.
    11-11-2014 07:14 PM
    I have a big issue with this smartphone. It has extremely addictive qualities. I can't put it down. They should recall them all...except for mine

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!
    11-11-2014 09:18 PM
    I never post in forums like this but I am now on my 3rd Note 4 after 2 weeks, and about to go and get another replacement today. Im in New Zealand and have experienced the following defects
    1st handset- loud scratchy static on video playback (just videos filmed with onboard camera) Got a replacement under the 14day return "DOA" policy. This second handset was a bit laggy but could have lived with that
    2nd handset- would not turn on after 5 days...same DOA policy applies
    3rd handset- hissing noise on ALL VIDEOS, an audible hiss even with the phone recording in the quietest surroundings
    Also heat issue but used to that from my HTC one
    Random keyboard freezing (using swifkey)
    Heart rate monitor appears defective (50 tries to get a reading at one point)
    Multi window popups when selecting videos and photos to view, can't seem to find a setting to turn it off.
    Apart from these issues the note 4 is still the only choice for me, coming from HTC and iPhone in the past this is the best phone specially with the S Pen and removable battery and sd storage (my HTC is a hard brick after 15months of use)....Would have gone for nexus 6 but for the S pen, removable battery and sd card (Note 4 is a tiny bit laggy compared to nexus 6)
    I love this phone, but am tired of the wasted time this has cost me.... I refuse to do a factory reset as I think New Zealand may have had a defective shipment of handsets at this point?
    Off to get the 4th and hopefully OK handset now!
    Hope this does not put too many off getting this insanely good phone!
    11-26-2014 05:16 PM
    I have had the Note 2, Note 3 and now the Note 4. No complaints for the 2 and 3, but the Note 4 has had problems since day one. When the screen is black and I press the home button to awaken and use the phone, it won't recognize when I press the button. I have to continuously keep trying. When it finally opens the home screen, it will flash twice and returns to the black screen. After three weeks, I sent the phone back, thinking it was a defect. I received a second Note 4 and it is doing the same thing. I have restored it to factory settings, dropped the battery several times, checked all settings....no luck. In addition, the SD card is not recognizable. Very frustrated with the Note 4 and stuck with it.
    11-26-2014 05:32 PM
    I have had the Note 2, Note 3 and now the Note 4. No complaints for the 2 and 3, but the Note 4 has had problems since day one. When the screen is black and I press the home button to awaken and use the phone, it won't recognize when I press the button. I have to continuously keep trying. When it finally opens the home screen, it will flash twice and returns to the black screen. After three weeks, I sent the phone back, thinking it was a defect. I received a second Note 4 and it is doing the same thing. I have restored it to factory settings, dropped the battery several times, checked all settings....no luck. In addition, the SD card is not recognizable. Very frustrated with the Note 4 and stuck with it.
    What carrier?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-26-2014 07:39 PM
    This is going to sound like a niggling complaint compared to some posted here but since the placement of the volume buttons has already been mentioned here I guess I will chime in on that. The funny thing is that while some find the N4 laggy, if you press one of the volume buttons. like - by mistake, it will take volume all the way down to nothing in no time....zip..nothing. It happens so fast that you don't even know it sometimes and you are not hearing any notifications like when receiving a call. I actually do find that bumping the touch screen or any of the physical buttons is very easy on this thing....a consequence of its size I think. Like I said though, pretty niggling compared to some of this stuff...more of an annoyance.
    11-26-2014 08:09 PM
    not only does my note for freeze on certain applications and the keyboard freezes up and I will have to power it off and power it on in order for it to work right at least twice a day I am also experiencing problems with the internet im app such a sports center I complained to sports center and I've gotten 0 results. And to top it all off I am outside of my 14 day window to return it these problems did not start until 2-3 weeks later.my note 3 never gave me problems and I traded it in for this note for thinking that it would be worth it. speaking from experience the note 3 is better than the note four. even now as I try to type the keyboard as frozen and now I'm using speech to text to post this and it is really screwing up as we speakor as I speak this is stupid this is supposed to be the best phone out with the best camera it is actually the best piece of garbage I've ever spent $800 on.I've done factory resets power on power off everything in the phone still gives me problems what should I do?
    11-26-2014 08:21 PM
    When you spend $1100NZD plus for the cutting edge Note 4 you expect a great experience BUT I tried to get a 4th replacement today and was told to contact samsung for resolution...... do I want to wait 2 weeks without a phone that I run my business on for samsung to find out I have had 3 defective handsets in a row and send me another?
    This phone has cost me dearly in time and frustration! 3 Defective handsets in 2 weeks!!!!!!! not sure how the 4th will be, maybe I better put up with this one till they sort out the problems with the camera noise and heart rate monitor (not to mention the excessive heating and keyboard freezing I have had...)
    My 2 weeks on with 3 different handsets so far...
    Note 4 the 1st- hideous scratching static during video playback...replaced for a new handset
    Note 4 the 2nd "hard brick" after 6 days won't turn on at all...replaced for a new handset
    Note 4 the 3rd white noise on video playback, heart rate monitor pretty much un usable 50+ tries to get a reading, multi window glitches (random popups when viewing images and video), overheating and keyboard freezes now I have been told I must send to Samsung for repair? Maybe I should buy and iPhone 6 plus to get me by for the 2 weeks I will be otherwise unable to run my business?
    Might be New Zealand got a bad shipment of exynos 64bit equipped handsets?
    I paid major $$$'s for this annoying and time wasting phone hope samsung can give me an instant replacement because this is, as Lemongrab would say UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My first Samsung experience is not great to say the least ):
    Unhappy
    11-26-2014 11:16 PM
    So far no interesting issues. The finger print reader doesn't work 100% of the time, and when it tried to read my girlfriend's heartbeat, it refused (I guess she's a zombie). I presume both of those things are either software issues or user error - no big deal.

The biggest problem I have is that I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a "normal" sized phone screen. First. World. Problems.
    I absolutely love this phone! However, one issue I'm really frustrated with, is the Fingerprint Scanner...mine NEVER works!! Seriously, I bet it works 20% of the time at BEST I'm really disappointed about this since one, I didn't have this feature on my previous device, so I was really looking forward to it & two, I was planning on using this feature as my default screen lock setting, but after being locked out of my own phone about the 15 times now, I've given up! Anyone know a fix for this issue? (Tried restarting phone & pulling the battery, but no improvement.) I was hoping the TMOBILE update I got was gonna fix, but no dice either!

Posted From MY Next Big Thing!!
    11-27-2014 08:14 AM
    Hi all, i have been using from 23 October and found the following problems. The first, note 4 after few minutes working became a little hot and lagging.
    Comparing with note 2 I can say that note 2 is much better. The second, after cleaning junk files and booster ram just few minutes, even not opening any application, the ram used is increased to 2.3 gb and causing the lagging again. The 3rd, sometimes it rebooted. I would be very happy if someone can help to solve those problems. Thanks anyway.
    11-27-2014 09:03 AM
    Hi all, i have been using from 23 October and found the following problems. The first, note 4 after few minutes working became a little hot and lagging.
    Comparing with note 2 I can say that note 2 is much better. The second, after cleaning junk files and booster ram just few minutes, even not opening any application, the ram used is increased to 2.3 gb and causing the lagging again. The 3rd, sometimes it rebooted. I would be very happy if someone can help to solve those problems. Thanks anyway.
    Do a factory data reset, do not install any apps and see if you still have a problem

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    11-27-2014 09:37 AM
    LAG LAG LAG LAG LAG. I am disappointed overall with the smoothness and ability to keep up with simple tasks. I have had better general experiences with nexus 4, nexus 5, Galaxy s4, Galaxy s5, Sony ZL, LG G3.

Keyboard lag is incredible - Reminds me of using MSN messenger on Windows ME.
    Multitasking key - more like the (I am not sure if I even pressed it key) because of how long it takes to open

I have tried using every reputable launcher on the market (currently using nova) and I have messed around with all the transition and animation scales, turned off s voice via home key, tried loading all apps onto sd, then back onto phone. I have done everything in my power to try and make this phone worth the $853 it cost be to get. I am waiting for the 5.0 update to try and fix some of this or else this piece is getting sold. End of rant,.
    11-27-2014 06:43 PM
    Definitely something wrong. Mine doesn't have that problem. Swiftkey is smooth no lag, though haven't used stock much. Also, you can get the factory sim unlocked Note 4 for $550 if you are willing to do a bit of work.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    11-28-2014 09:40 AM
    LAG LAG LAG LAG LAG. I am disappointed overall with the smoothness and ability to keep up with simple tasks...End of rant,.
    You have a phone with a problem.

If you haven't done it yet already, you should do a factory reset and start over. Don't load any applications or launchers until you have verified that the issues are not there.

If you have any issues with the phone after that, take it back for a replacement.

What carrier are you with? Did you root the phone?
    11-28-2014 10:52 AM
    RAM at 2.3 is not causing lag. It just isn't. The RAM is there to be used. Nova is a great launcher. Study up on Dev. mode and animations. I didn't have lag before turning off animations. I did it because I don't care about animations. I am not addressing the poster I quoted here but it's interesting to see so many obviously experienced Android and Note users on this forum who think this is the best device they have had and also so many people who are new to Samsung, Android etc who are calling the Note "junk". Those of us who know we have good hardware and who know how to use it need to keep repeating this so people will stop blaming the device first. The chances are very low that your device is causing your problem.

LaTuFu likes this.
    11-28-2014 12:24 PM
    Is anyone having issues with messaging? If I send a group text they don't always go through. Plus I just lost a bunch of contacts. I messaged a friend a couple of days ago and now it just shows his number in the thread, I had to rename him as a contact. Also would love to figure out how to not have it list every single person who has ever emailed me. I tried setting it as phone numbers only but it still suggests every email address or Facebook friend in all my contacts. Seems that the more recently added (Like in last 6 months or so) have disappeared. I switched to textra just now to see if that helps with group messages, but still having the same contact issue. Sorry I'm rambling...
    11-29-2014 12:38 AM
    iPhone!
    11-29-2014 11:03 AM
    Luckily, today is the 14th and last day Verizon allows you to return or exchange your phone. Already I'm experiencing data issues (pages/apps not loading), Google apps not syncing (calendar and GMail), text messages not being received or not sending (Hangouts), screen not responding to touch detail (example: On Instagram if someone is tagged within a photo you can touch the photo to see who it is; for whatever reason my phone does not do that and I end up double tapping liking the photo by accident), and not receiving Voicemail notifications. Also what I find extremely annoying is when I go to start a new conversation and I type in a contact to begin texting, it literally takes more than 5 seconds for the contact to appear. EXTREMELY ANNOYING!! If my replacement show me these same issues; BYE BYE android HELLO iPhone!
    11-29-2014 11:14 AM
    All the settings can be confusing but if you sit and look at every single one and try different things you'll learn as much as if you sat and read the whole manual that they don't even give us. I have done both because I like that kind of thing. Everything you describe is in settings. Your contacts probably aren't gone. They are probably just unchecked as visible somewhere. You at least sound like you can fix it. The next 2 posts by verizonandroid sound like someone who should have an iPhone. Back to your problem. I know chompSMS works and whatever you use, check all those settings as well and make the app you use default and turn off other SMS programs.

Is anyone having issues with messaging? If I send a group text they don't always go through. Plus I just lost a bunch of contacts. I messaged a friend a couple of days ago and now it just shows his number in the thread, I had to rename him as a contact. Also would love to figure out how to not have it list every single person who has ever emailed me. I tried setting it as phone numbers only but it still suggests every email address or Facebook friend in all my contacts. Seems that the more recently added (Like in last 6 months or so) have disappeared. I switched to textra just now to see if that helps with group messages, but still having the same contact issue. Sorry I'm rambling...
    hummingbirdhill likes this.
    11-29-2014 11:37 AM
    My first cell phone was back in 2006. My first SMART PHONE, was android and I never bought anything other than android since. So your assumption is wrong, however I would gladly purchase an iPhone if the issues I listed persist, even if it's just one
    11-29-2014 03:09 PM
    My first cell phone was back in 2006. My first SMART PHONE, was android and I never bought anything other than android since. So your assumption is wrong, however I would gladly purchase an iPhone if the issues I listed persist, even if it's just one
    Considering that the issues you are describing are unique to you, even for Verizon users, I would suspect that the issues lie more with setup than the device.
    hdhuntr and hummingbirdhill like this.
    11-29-2014 03:56 PM
235 ... 56789 ...