Known Note 4 issues?

jar336

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Now that the Note 4 is in the hands of real end users, who spent their hard earned money on this great new phone, we are sure to hear of problems that professional reviewers given free phones wouldn't dare to report.

Hopefully your new Note 4 is perfect, but this is the place to vent if it isn't.

Posted via Android Central App

When connected to car bluetooth none of the music info is being transferred to the paired device ex. pandora nor spotify info will appear but radio works fine with note 2 and 3 as well with iphones. Called samsung but were unable to assist me. Voice command turns on automaticly at times and music being distorted vie bluetooth.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree! Not an "issue" but it IS very annoying. I'd love to find an app that would just kill the power button and move the functionality to the home button. I also liked it when the usb was anywhere other than bottom. I almost never use landscape and A vertical dock is useless with wireless charging. I have to make DIY stands...

So, this isn't really an issue, more of a design flaw. I hate that the power button is exactly opposite of the volume. Since it's such a big phone I have to move my hand up to change the volume and I'm constantly hitting the power button with my thumb while trying to adjust volume. I love the phone otherwise, but that bugs me.

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
My mifare NFC tags that I had with my Note 2 don't work with my Note 4. Looks like this has been a common problem in the last few Samsung phones. Lucky new universal tags are cheap.

Definitely having some wifi issues today. It seemed to work at home but at work where we have a Cisco Meraki I am having trouble. My Nexus 7 is fine. Anything we can do now or wait for an update from Verizon or Samsung?

Last edited:

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So, this isn't really an issue, more of a design flaw. I hate that the power button is exactly opposite of the volume. Since it's such a big phone I have to move my hand up to change the volume and I'm constantly hitting the power button with my thumb while trying to adjust volume. I love the phone otherwise, but that bugs me.

Not sure that there is better way to place the side buttons. If all on one side, then have to readjust hand more to reach to/bottom button.

One think the N4 got right is the quality of the buttons. They're very solid and cocky (can reliably tell when clicked).

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think I got lucky because my Note 4 is issue free!!!! (Knock on wood)

Click on the Recents button several times throughout the day, and see if it's consistently under 1/2 seconds to get the list of recent apps. My guess is you'll see some 2 seconds delays. That is bad lag, and that ruins the fluidity of the user experience.

Some don't switch back and forth between apps, in which case they may not be impacted, but this is supposed to be core Android functionality.

Last edited:

new2thisyeah

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
After the Google updates, most of the core Google apps are not working on my phone. They crash immediately upon opening. The only thing that I have not done is a factory reset.

Jason

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Anyone having issues with their phone connecting to lte? I'm with sprint and my wife's phone is a s5, her phone and my galaxy tab 4 connect to lte easily while mine stays on 3g. I've done prl and profile updates and it doesn't connect.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone having issues with their phone connecting to lte? I'm with sprint and my wife's phone is a s5, her phone and my galaxy tab 4 connect to lte easily while mine stays on 3g. I've done prl and profile updates and it doesn't connect.

I don't have this phone, but the Sprint Note 4 has Spark: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CDMA) Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

If you don't have Spark in your area, you will only get 3G, at least it was that way when I looked at a Sprint HTC Spark phone.

Jason

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I do live in a spark area my tab 4 is connected to spark and my daughters phone isn't a spark phone but she does connect to lte. I'm wondering if it's a note 4 issue or a 4.4.4 issue since my phone is the only phone with Android 4.4.4

Dan Metzler

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I, unfortunately, have a host of issues to report. First, some background information and then my list of issues. I bought the Note 4 as an upgrade to my three-year-old Droid Bionic, which has become so extremely laggy that it is nearly unusable. I'm on Verizon and received my pre-ordered black Note 4 on the Verizon release date, October 23. It worked flawlessly for maybe three or four days, at most, before beginning to develop many of the same problems that plagued my Bionic.

Now, my issues:
1. CPU performance. The general performance of my Note 4 is EXTREMELY is EXTREMELY spotty. I will frequently be typing and the keyboard will just stop responding. It won't vibrate, the text in the text box won't change, and the little letter popups won't appear. I'm using Samsung's keyboard. At first, I thought the issue was due to ununoptimized third party apps. However, it's begun to manifest itself in everything from Chrome and Facebook to the stock Messages app, so I don't think this is the explanation. Somewhat disturbed by this development, I downloaded Geekbench. I'd seen all the reviewers claim to be getting single core scores around 1000 and multi core scores well over 3000, both of which are very good. However, even with all other apps closed, I got a single core score of 800 and a multi core score of 2500, which is considerably lower than what the S5 gets. I did manage to get one run that scored 1100 and 3200, but all my other tests were much lower. Just a few minutes ago, I ran the benchmark again. I didn't bother closing all my apps this time, which could be part of the reason behind my absolutely abysmal single core score of 564 and my even worse multi core score of about 1600. Those numbers are both considerably lower than what was seen on the S4.

2. GPU. In addition to the problems my CPU seems to be having, my GPU is also encountering frequent issues. I can no longer open Instagram, read an article, scroll down a Web page, or even watch a YouTube video without my screen locking up for several seconds before suddenly jumping to where it should be. All of the aforementioned operations worked flawlessly for the first several days, but are now at a point where my ancient Bionic performs better.

3. Build quality. Along with my various software issues, I have some bones to pick about the hardware design. The volume keys and power button both feel extremely loose and can easily be wiggled in all four directions with at least a quarter of a millimeter of travel. It may not sound like much, but it's absolutely noticeable and extremely annoying, particularly in what is essentially a $1000 device. There is also a considerable amount of wiggle in my home button, but it's less of a problem.

4. Heat. My Note 4 runs very hot. Even when I'm not using it heavily, the back gets fairly warm. It's never gotten to a point of unusability, but it is really irritating. It seems to get hottest when it's running into any of the problems mentioned above. I'm not sure what the cause is, but I've noticed that it runs very warm since Day 1. It's just recently gotten to a point where I would describe the temperature as "hot". I can occasionally even feel the device's heat on my leg when it's in the pocket of my jeans.

5. Crashes. Many apps that I've downloaded recently have either failed to open, crashed immediately upon opening, or crashed shortly after opening. This can largely be attributed to software issues, but there have been a few cases which lead me to think that the phone itself may be at least partially responsible. The app/process "Google Search" crashes several times a day. Even if I haven't used Google Now or my browser, I'll randomly get a popup that says "Google Search has stopped responding and needs to close." or something along those lines. Because Google Search (I believe this is the name used internally by Google Now) is such a centrap feature of Android, I can't imagine that its crashes are being caused by a software issue rather than a hardware issue. On a side note, Words with Friends worked perfectly for the first week or so, but suddenly stopped opening altogether. I would tap on the app again and again, but nothing would happen. Not even after mumultiple restarts and battery removals. I have no idea what caused this and have since uninstalled the app.

6. App Drawer folders. (SOLVED) This is something that apparently was a problem on the Note 3 which has reappeared on the 4. When you create folders in the app drawer, you're given an opportunity to name the folder and then add apps. If you later decide you want to add more apps, the natural thing would be to open the folder, click the "+" button, and then select the apps you would like to add. This works, but only until you turn the phone off. Once it powers back on, you'll find that all the apps which were added to folders using this method have been kicked out of their folders and returned to the app drawer. Fortunately, there is a simple solution. Just tap the icon in the corner with three dots and select "Edit". Then open the folder you would like to add apps to, tap the "+" button, select all the apps you want to add, and press "Done". Your folders will now be saved and should remain exactly as they are no matter how many restarts you do. It's a stupid issue and, I would think, relatively easy to fix. It's fairly well documented as well, so the fact that Samsung STILL hasn't fixed this is unexcusable, and speaks volumes about the quality of their software development team.

Anyway, I think that's about it. If anyone has any advice or experience with these problems, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll keep looking around the Web for solutions and will keep you guys posted of anything I find as well as any new problems that develop.

At this point, I'm seriously exploring my return/refund/exchange options, and I would VERY strongly advise against purchasing one of these phones. This set of issues, combined with the debacle of the Bionic, has me seriously questioning Android's merits. In fact, if these problems continue and I'm able to get rid of my Note, I fully expect to switch to the 6 Plus, as my experiences with Samsung, Motorola, and Android have been nothing but bad.

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I, unfortunately, have a host of issues to report. First, some background information and then my list of issues. I bought the Note 4 as an upgrade to my three-year-old Droid Bionic, which has become so extremely laggy that it is nearly unusable. I'm on Verizon and received my pre-ordered black Note 4 on the Verizon release date, October 23. It worked flawlessly for maybe three or four days, at most, before beginning to develop many of the same problems that plagued my Bionic.

Now, my issues:
1. CPU performance. The general performance of my Note 4 is EXTREMELY is EXTREMELY spotty. I will frequently be typing and the keyboard will just stop responding. It won't vibrate, the text in the text box won't change, and the little letter popups won't appear. I'm using Samsung's keyboard. At first, I thought the issue was due to ununoptimized third party apps. However, it's begun to manifest itself in everything from Chrome and Facebook to the stock Messages app, so I don't think this is the explanation. Somewhat disturbed by this development, I downloaded Geekbench. I'd seen all the reviewers claim to be getting single core scores around 1000 and multi core scores well over 3000, both of which are very good. However, even with all other apps closed, I got a single core score of 800 and a multi core score of 2500, which is considerably lower than what the S5 gets. I did manage to get one run that scored 1100 and 3200, but all my other tests were much lower. Just a few minutes ago, I ran the benchmark again. I didn't bother closing all my apps this time, which could be part of the reason behind my absolutely abysmal single core score of 564 and my even worse multi core score of about 1600. Those numbers are both considerably lower than what was seen on the S4.

2. GPU. In addition to the problems my CPU seems to be having, my GPU is also encountering frequent issues. I can no longer open Instagram, read an article, scroll down a Web page, or even watch a YouTube video without my screen locking up for several seconds before suddenly jumping to where it should be. All of the aforementioned operations worked flawlessly for the first several days, but are now at a point where my ancient Bionic performs better.

3. Build quality. Along with my various software issues, I have some bones to pick about the hardware design. The volume keys and power button both feel extremely loose and can easily be wiggled in all four directions with at least a quarter of a millimeter of travel. It may not sound like much, but it's absolutely noticeable and extremely annoying, particularly in what is essentially a $1000 device. There is also a considerable amount of wiggle in my home button, but it's less of a problem.

4. Heat. My Note 4 runs very hot. Even when I'm not using it heavily, the back gets fairly warm. It's never gotten to a point of unusability, but it is really irritating. It seems to get hottest when it's running into any of the problems mentioned above. I'm not sure what the cause is, but I've noticed that it runs very warm since Day 1. It's just recently gotten to a point where I would describe the temperature as "hot". I can occasionally even feel the device's heat on my leg when it's in the pocket of my jeans.

5. Crashes. Many apps that I've downloaded recently have either failed to open, crashed immediately upon opening, or crashed shortly after opening. This can largely be attributed to software issues, but there have been a few cases which lead me to think that the phone itself may be at least partially responsible. The app/process "Google Search" crashes several times a day. Even if I haven't used Google Now or my browser, I'll randomly get a popup that says "Google Search has stopped responding and needs to close." or something along those lines. Because Google Search (I believe this is the name used internally by Google Now) is such a centrap feature of Android, I can't imagine that its crashes are being caused by a software issue rather than a hardware issue. On a side note, Words with Friends worked perfectly for the first week or so, but suddenly stopped opening altogether. I would tap on the app again and again, but nothing would happen. Not even after mumultiple restarts and battery removals. I have no idea what caused this and have since uninstalled the app.

6. App Drawer folders. (SOLVED) This is something that apparently was a problem on the Note 3 which has reappeared on the 4. When you create folders in the app drawer, you're given an opportunity to name the folder and then add apps. If you later decide you want to add more apps, the natural thing would be to open the folder, click the "+" button, and then select the apps you would like to add. This works, but only until you turn the phone off. Once it powers back on, you'll find that all the apps which were added to folders using this method have been kicked out of their folders and returned to the app drawer. Fortunately, there is a simple solution. Just tap the icon in the corner with three dots and select "Edit". Then open the folder you would like to add apps to, tap the "+" button, select all the apps you want to add, and press "Done". Your folders will now be saved and should remain exactly as they are no matter how many restarts you do. It's a stupid issue and, I would think, relatively easy to fix. It's fairly well documented as well, so the fact that Samsung STILL hasn't fixed this is unexcusable, and speaks volumes about the quality of their software development team.

Anyway, I think that's about it. If anyone has any advice or experience with these problems, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll keep looking around the Web for solutions and will keep you guys posted of anything I find as well as any new problems that develop.

At this point, I'm seriously exploring my return/refund/exchange options, and I would VERY strongly advise against purchasing one of these phones. This set of issues, combined with the debacle of the Bionic, has me seriously questioning Android's merits. In fact, if these problems continue and I'm able to get rid of my Note, I fully expect to switch to the 6 Plus, as my experiences with Samsung, Motorola, and Android have been nothing but bad.

I have a black N4 from VZW too and am seeing none of those major issues. My only major issue is with wifi in one location. I would suggest the factory reset and then a return or maybe just an exchange. I wouldn't say I advise not buying the phone based off just your experience. You also can't blame hardware problems on a Operating system especailly one that has changed o much since the bionic. No phone is perfect including the iphone. Best of luck to you.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I, unfortunately, have a host of issues to report. First, some background information and then my list of issues. I bought the Note 4 as an upgrade to my three-year-old Droid Bionic, which has become so extremely laggy that it is nearly unusable. I'm on Verizon and received my pre-ordered black Note 4 on the Verizon release date, October 23. It worked flawlessly for maybe three or four days, at most, before beginning to develop many of the same problems that plagued my Bionic.....

Considering that you are describing issues that virtually no one else is reporting, (especially the "running hot" problem) and everything you describe points to a bad hardware issue, it would be more prudent for you to exchange the phone for a new one and attempt to use that before declaring that the entire model line is bad.

You got a 3 year service life out of your previous Android phone, and one that was not generally regarded as an outstanding device to begin with. You're hardly making a case for "Android=Bad."

If you don't like your experience, great. Return the phone, get a 6+ and enjoy. But you do not have enough information to make a blanket declaration about the entire product line. Especially when there are many, many others who are not experiencing the issues you describe and are perfectly happy with their phones.

Avinoam Barak

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I have real issue in my note 4. The cellular modem stop working few times a day while using mainly. Browser. . It happens sometime that emails and whatsapp continue working. The only solution for me today is either restart or enter flight mode and than cancel flight mode.
Any one face this issue? Any solution?

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

It's unfortunate that lemons make it past quality control. But, it does seem as if you've gotten a bad phone as the issues you're encountering are not the general experience of Note 4 owners. Also, not all Note 4s are produced in the same plants (as evidenced by a thread a few weeks ago). You should easily be within a replacement window if you just got the phone.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a big issue with this smartphone. It has extremely addictive qualities. I can't put it down. They should recall them all...except for mine;)

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

Jewels Vine

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I never post in forums like this but I am now on my 3rd Note 4 after 2 weeks, and about to go and get another replacement today. Im in New Zealand and have experienced the following defects
1st handset- loud scratchy static on video playback (just videos filmed with onboard camera) Got a replacement under the 14day return "DOA" policy. This second handset was a bit laggy but could have lived with that
2nd handset- would not turn on after 5 days...same DOA policy applies
3rd handset- hissing noise on ALL VIDEOS, an audible hiss even with the phone recording in the quietest surroundings
Also heat issue but used to that from my HTC one
Random keyboard freezing (using swifkey)
Heart rate monitor appears defective (50 tries to get a reading at one point)
Multi window popups when selecting videos and photos to view, can't seem to find a setting to turn it off.
Apart from these issues the note 4 is still the only choice for me, coming from HTC and iPhone in the past this is the best phone specially with the S Pen and removable battery and sd storage (my HTC is a hard brick after 15months of use)....Would have gone for nexus 6 but for the S pen, removable battery and sd card (Note 4 is a tiny bit laggy compared to nexus 6)
I love this phone, but am tired of the wasted time this has cost me.... I refuse to do a factory reset as I think New Zealand may have had a defective shipment of handsets at this point?
Off to get the 4th and hopefully OK handset now! :'(
Hope this does not put too many off getting this insanely good phone!

Sandy Alexander1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I have had the Note 2, Note 3 and now the Note 4. No complaints for the 2 and 3, but the Note 4 has had problems since day one. When the screen is black and I press the home button to awaken and use the phone, it won't recognize when I press the button. I have to continuously keep trying. When it finally opens the home screen, it will flash twice and returns to the black screen. After three weeks, I sent the phone back, thinking it was a defect. I received a second Note 4 and it is doing the same thing. I have restored it to factory settings, dropped the battery several times, checked all settings....no luck. In addition, the SD card is not recognizable. Very frustrated with the Note 4 and stuck with it.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had the Note 2, Note 3 and now the Note 4. No complaints for the 2 and 3, but the Note 4 has had problems since day one. When the screen is black and I press the home button to awaken and use the phone, it won't recognize when I press the button. I have to continuously keep trying. When it finally opens the home screen, it will flash twice and returns to the black screen. After three weeks, I sent the phone back, thinking it was a defect. I received a second Note 4 and it is doing the same thing. I have restored it to factory settings, dropped the battery several times, checked all settings....no luck. In addition, the SD card is not recognizable. Very frustrated with the Note 4 and stuck with it.

What carrier?

Posted via the Android Central App

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
This is going to sound like a niggling complaint compared to some posted here but since the placement of the volume buttons has already been mentioned here I guess I will chime in on that. The funny thing is that while some find the N4 laggy, if you press one of the volume buttons. like - by mistake, it will take volume all the way down to nothing in no time....zip..nothing. It happens so fast that you don't even know it sometimes and you are not hearing any notifications like when receiving a call. I actually do find that bumping the touch screen or any of the physical buttons is very easy on this thing....a consequence of its size I think. Like I said though, pretty niggling compared to some of this stuff...more of an annoyance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton