Known Note 4 issues?

Rob hoy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
To be honest i have a note 4 as of yesterday pm. I had a nexus 5 before running the latest lollipop.it was great!!. The note... well i find the phone interface very similar to the nexus... bloat ...not obvious...and fingerprint scanner works evertime...easy to use...its a great phone.

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
no case here yet.. anyone else having notificatin issues i have all my emails set up for silent in the notification tone area and they keep going off even my wifi sets the notification sound off when it detects a new wifi ?? driving me nuts i have to turn off my notification sounds every night otherwise it goes off all night long

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Several people have been reporting focusing problems, particularly with subjects more distant than 2 feet and moving. Sometimes they do better with sports mode, but sometimes not. One issue that this would suggest is there are quality control problems with the earliest batches of these phones, since reports like this are inconsistent. There also seem to be different builds for different carriers. The different microphone placement on the Verizon version comes to mind. Reports of horrible sounding speakers seems to be more frequent with another carrier.
While I understand that any new phone can have software issues, these problems seem more hardware related. That's disturbing enough for me to wait before I buy my Note 4 to see if these possible early production problems get ironed out. I know I have 14 days to exchange a phone if it should have a problem. I just don't like wasting all of that time setting another phone up again.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

YahyaRivero

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
One con, no "Manage Calls" feature during conference calls. What's up with that? Came from an S4.

Posted via the Android Central App

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
It's important to keep all the complaints in perspective, too. The majority of people who buy phones are not enthusiasts or tech geeks like we are. Even the ones who might step over to the dark side a little bit aren't ones to get on forums and talk about their experiences.

Fewer people get on the internet to tell the world how the phone they bought is working exactly the way they expected it to and the commercials said it would--compared to how many will get on the nearest forum to tell the world what a mistake they just made with their newest phone.

That being said, my Note 4 has been flawless so far. Battery life has been everything Samsung claimed it would be, and I'm coming from a long line of Galaxy devices. It is a huge improvement over my other Samsung phones.

None of the complaints listed so far in this thread have been part of my experience.

anaphora68

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I ended up receiving a replacement unit from T-Mobile for the camera. There definitely was a problem with the camera focusing.

Replacement phone is amazing. I love the camera on this thing. It's enough to make me consider selling my 6 Plus.

Several people have been reporting focusing problems, particularly with subjects more distant than 2 feet and moving. Sometimes they do better with sports mode, but sometimes not. One issue that this would suggest is there are quality control problems with the earliest batches of these phones, since reports like this are inconsistent. There also seem to be different builds for different carriers. The different microphone placement on the Verizon version comes to mind. Reports of horrible sounding speakers seems to be more frequent with another carrier.
While I understand that any new phone can have software issues, these problems seem more hardware related. That's disturbing enough for me to wait before I buy my Note 4 to see if these possible early production problems get ironed out. I know I have 14 days to exchange a phone if it should have a problem. I just don't like wasting all of that time setting another phone up again.

Walchaar6

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I do wish they fix the YouTube not playing full HD or 1440p I don't think that is Samsungs fault but they should do something about that

anticlutch

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Gaps. Samsung spins it as a design choice, others say it's a manufacturing defect, but whatever it may be I find it supremely annoying to have lint from my pocket getting trapped in between the metal side and the glass. I'm sure using a case would help somewhat, but since there aren't any cases that seem to be made specifically for the Verizon variant, I'm SOL there too. Hopefully this gap issue won't lead to there being dust making its way under the screen in the future... I'm tempted to return this one to Amazon and order a dev version off of Samsung's website directly.

UniQue WerkX

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I can't change youtube app video settings to go past 720p. I can use youtube website and use 4k setting.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Gaps. Samsung spins it as a design choice, others say it's a manufacturing defect, but whatever it may be I find it supremely annoying to have lint from my pocket getting trapped in between the metal side and the glass. I'm sure using a case would help somewhat, but since there aren't any cases that seem to be made specifically for the Verizon variant, I'm SOL there too. Hopefully this gap issue won't lead to there being dust making its way under the screen in the future... I'm tempted to return this one to Amazon and order a dev version off of Samsung's website directly.

I think the gap is a quality control issue because we have a number of posters myself included that do not have gaps. Samsung saying the gap is supposed to be there doesn't make any sense because if it was every phone would have it.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else having big lag in Hangouts? I saw the thread on XDA where some reported this initially and I've noticed on my Note 4 it takes a long time for the keyboard to pop up after I clicked to type a message, and also it takes awhile to send the message compared to my G3. Curious if anyone else noticed this. I don't think its a hardware issue but I'm considering trying to exchange to see...

OleMissEngr

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Is it normal that the back light and menu light don't come on? When I hit the back button to go back on the browser, the Note 2 I had used to light up. I thought it would on the Note 4.

Edit: I figured it out in the power saving mode. I had power saving mode on and it was restricted not to light up to save the battery.

Thanks. I picked up my Note 4 last night (Halloween). I got home and noticed the back-lights for the two capacitive buttons didn't light up like they did on my Note 2. This morning, I looked at my friend's S5 and his capacitive buttons lit up.

I took the phone back to the Sprint store where I bought it thinking they would know what to do or else the phone might be defective. The store manager worked on it for a quite while, looked stuff up on the internet and finally declared the phone was defective. They didn't have another Note 4 so he called around and found one about 10 miles away. The Sprint store manager went to get the replacement phone while I went home to get my box and papers for the "defective phone."

The lights worked on the replacement phone and I was happy. I messed with the phone some today but when I got home tonight, the lights were no longer working. So, I did what I should have done all along. I got on this sight and started looking around and found this post. I went in to settings and rooted around in Power Savings and found the correct way to have the back-lights come on in Power Saving Mode.

I guess that phone I returned wasn't defective because I had turned on Power Saving mode. Maybe I should go back to the Sprint store and let them know. I want to keep this replacement phone as it is white and the other was black.

skippyg

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
So you turned on Powersaving mode and wondered why the buttons didnt light up. Did you or the sprint rep attempt to factory reset?

GPtimes2

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Issue I had was when I switched to ART from Dalvik (supposed to run better), my s health app wouldn't work. Even after app optimization. Had to go back to Dalvik to get it to work. I read that Lollypop will only have ART. I hope they fix the app by then. Anyone else try switching and find problems?

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Issue I had was when I switched to ART from Dalvik (supposed to run better), my s health app wouldn't work. Even after app optimization. Had to go back to Dalvik to get it to work. I read that Lollypop will only have ART. I hope they fix the app by then. Anyone else try switching and find problems?

Lollipop's ART is supposed to be different, backwards compatible.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, I know there are issues. Some have reported poor battery life. A reviewer reported dead pixels on his display. Some user in another thread reported dropped calls. How common are these?

I am a lite user. Since I have had my Note 4 (Friday night) and fully charged it the battery life has been awesome! It's 7:49AM EST and the batter shows 39% left. :) So I don't get where you think the battery life is poor?

My Blackberry would be dead at this point. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol