Known Note 4 issues?

Kirk Wilborn

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
not only does my note for freeze on certain applications and the keyboard freezes up and I will have to power it off and power it on in order for it to work right at least twice a day I am also experiencing problems with the internet im app such a sports center I complained to sports center and I've gotten 0 results. And to top it all off I am outside of my 14 day window to return it these problems did not start until 2-3 weeks later.my note 3 never gave me problems and I traded it in for this note for thinking that it would be worth it. speaking from experience the note 3 is better than the note four. even now as I try to type the keyboard as frozen and now I'm using speech to text to post this and it is really screwing up as we speakor as I speak this is stupid this is supposed to be the best phone out with the best camera it is actually the best piece of garbage I've ever spent $800 on.I've done factory resets power on power off everything in the phone still gives me problems what should I do?

Jewels Vine

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
When you spend $1100NZD plus for the cutting edge Note 4 you expect a great experience BUT I tried to get a 4th replacement today and was told to contact samsung for resolution...... do I want to wait 2 weeks without a phone that I run my business on for samsung to find out I have had 3 defective handsets in a row and send me another?
This phone has cost me dearly in time and frustration! 3 Defective handsets in 2 weeks!!!!!!! not sure how the 4th will be, maybe I better put up with this one till they sort out the problems with the camera noise and heart rate monitor (not to mention the excessive heating and keyboard freezing I have had...)
My 2 weeks on with 3 different handsets so far...
Note 4 the 1st- hideous scratching static during video playback...replaced for a new handset
Note 4 the 2nd "hard brick" after 6 days won't turn on at all...replaced for a new handset
Note 4 the 3rd white noise on video playback, heart rate monitor pretty much un usable 50+ tries to get a reading, multi window glitches (random popups when viewing images and video), overheating and keyboard freezes now I have been told I must send to Samsung for repair? Maybe I should buy and iPhone 6 plus to get me by for the 2 weeks I will be otherwise unable to run my business?
Might be New Zealand got a bad shipment of exynos 64bit equipped handsets?
I paid major $$$'s for this annoying and time wasting phone hope samsung can give me an instant replacement because this is, as Lemongrab would say UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My first Samsung experience is not great to say the least ):
Unhappy

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
So far no interesting issues. The finger print reader doesn't work 100% of the time, and when it tried to read my girlfriend's heartbeat, it refused (I guess she's a zombie). I presume both of those things are either software issues or user error - no big deal.

The biggest problem I have is that I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a "normal" sized phone screen. First. World. Problems.

I absolutely love this phone! However, one issue I'm really frustrated with, is the Fingerprint Scanner...mine NEVER works!! Seriously, I bet it works 20% of the time at BEST I'm really disappointed about this since one, I didn't have this feature on my previous device, so I was really looking forward to it & two, I was planning on using this feature as my default screen lock setting, but after being locked out of my own phone about the 15 times now, I've given up! Anyone know a fix for this issue? (Tried restarting phone & pulling the battery, but no improvement.) I was hoping the TMOBILE update I got was gonna fix, but no dice either!

Posted From MY Next Big Thing!!

Last edited:

Kieuminhvn

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, i have been using from 23 October and found the following problems. The first, note 4 after few minutes working became a little hot and lagging.
Comparing with note 2 I can say that note 2 is much better. The second, after cleaning junk files and booster ram just few minutes, even not opening any application, the ram used is increased to 2.3 gb and causing the lagging again. The 3rd, sometimes it rebooted. I would be very happy if someone can help to solve those problems. Thanks anyway.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, i have been using from 23 October and found the following problems. The first, note 4 after few minutes working became a little hot and lagging.
Comparing with note 2 I can say that note 2 is much better. The second, after cleaning junk files and booster ram just few minutes, even not opening any application, the ram used is increased to 2.3 gb and causing the lagging again. The 3rd, sometimes it rebooted. I would be very happy if someone can help to solve those problems. Thanks anyway.
Do a factory data reset, do not install any apps and see if you still have a problem

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Kevin Johnson 21

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
LAG LAG LAG LAG LAG. I am disappointed overall with the smoothness and ability to keep up with simple tasks. I have had better general experiences with nexus 4, nexus 5, Galaxy s4, Galaxy s5, Sony ZL, LG G3.

Keyboard lag is incredible - Reminds me of using MSN messenger on Windows ME.
Multitasking key - more like the (I am not sure if I even pressed it key) because of how long it takes to open

I have tried using every reputable launcher on the market (currently using nova) and I have messed around with all the transition and animation scales, turned off s voice via home key, tried loading all apps onto sd, then back onto phone. I have done everything in my power to try and make this phone worth the $853 it cost be to get. I am waiting for the 5.0 update to try and fix some of this or else this piece is getting sold. End of rant,.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Definitely something wrong. Mine doesn't have that problem. Swiftkey is smooth no lag, though haven't used stock much. Also, you can get the factory sim unlocked Note 4 for $550 if you are willing to do a bit of work.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
LAG LAG LAG LAG LAG. I am disappointed overall with the smoothness and ability to keep up with simple tasks...End of rant,.

You have a phone with a problem.

If you haven't done it yet already, you should do a factory reset and start over. Don't load any applications or launchers until you have verified that the issues are not there.

If you have any issues with the phone after that, take it back for a replacement.

What carrier are you with? Did you root the phone?

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
RAM at 2.3 is not causing lag. It just isn't. The RAM is there to be used. Nova is a great launcher. Study up on Dev. mode and animations. I didn't have lag before turning off animations. I did it because I don't care about animations. I am not addressing the poster I quoted here but it's interesting to see so many obviously experienced Android and Note users on this forum who think this is the best device they have had and also so many people who are new to Samsung, Android etc who are calling the Note "junk". Those of us who know we have good hardware and who know how to use it need to keep repeating this so people will stop blaming the device first. The chances are very low that your device is causing your problem.

bearellis

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone having issues with messaging? If I send a group text they don't always go through. Plus I just lost a bunch of contacts. I messaged a friend a couple of days ago and now it just shows his number in the thread, I had to rename him as a contact. Also would love to figure out how to not have it list every single person who has ever emailed me. I tried setting it as phone numbers only but it still suggests every email address or Facebook friend in all my contacts. Seems that the more recently added (Like in last 6 months or so) have disappeared. I switched to textra just now to see if that helps with group messages, but still having the same contact issue. Sorry I'm rambling...

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Luckily, today is the 14th and last day Verizon allows you to return or exchange your phone. Already I'm experiencing data issues (pages/apps not loading), Google apps not syncing (calendar and GMail), text messages not being received or not sending (Hangouts), screen not responding to touch detail (example: On Instagram if someone is tagged within a photo you can touch the photo to see who it is; for whatever reason my phone does not do that and I end up double tapping liking the photo by accident), and not receiving Voicemail notifications. Also what I find extremely annoying is when I go to start a new conversation and I type in a contact to begin texting, it literally takes more than 5 seconds for the contact to appear. EXTREMELY ANNOYING!! If my replacement show me these same issues; BYE BYE android HELLO iPhone!

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
All the settings can be confusing but if you sit and look at every single one and try different things you'll learn as much as if you sat and read the whole manual that they don't even give us. I have done both because I like that kind of thing. Everything you describe is in settings. Your contacts probably aren't gone. They are probably just unchecked as visible somewhere. You at least sound like you can fix it. The next 2 posts by verizonandroid sound like someone who should have an iPhone. Back to your problem. I know chompSMS works and whatever you use, check all those settings as well and make the app you use default and turn off other SMS programs.

Is anyone having issues with messaging? If I send a group text they don't always go through. Plus I just lost a bunch of contacts. I messaged a friend a couple of days ago and now it just shows his number in the thread, I had to rename him as a contact. Also would love to figure out how to not have it list every single person who has ever emailed me. I tried setting it as phone numbers only but it still suggests every email address or Facebook friend in all my contacts. Seems that the more recently added (Like in last 6 months or so) have disappeared. I switched to textra just now to see if that helps with group messages, but still having the same contact issue. Sorry I'm rambling...

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
My first cell phone was back in 2006. My first SMART PHONE, was android and I never bought anything other than android since. So your assumption is wrong, however I would gladly purchase an iPhone if the issues I listed persist, even if it's just one

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
My first cell phone was back in 2006. My first SMART PHONE, was android and I never bought anything other than android since. So your assumption is wrong, however I would gladly purchase an iPhone if the issues I listed persist, even if it's just one
Considering that the issues you are describing are unique to you, even for Verizon users, I would suspect that the issues lie more with setup than the device.

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I didn't think I was having any issues with my Verizon Note 4 other than the SD card unmounting and remounting when I was in the gallery or editing photos. At the same time I did not notice any real difference in performance or battery life from my Note 2, but I was quite happy with the phone.
Since I had a Sandisk 64 gb card in the phone that was transferred from the Note 2 I figured the mounting issues were being caused by that.

Earlier today I decided to try a different card, I had a brand new 32 gb Transcend card just sitting there. I copied all of the folders and files from the Sandisk to my computer, installed the Transcend and formatted it, copied all of the folders and files to it and started to play.

This phone took off like a rocket, no more problems at all and so fast I am in awe, it's like it's turbo charged now. I can't speak to battery life because I've been playing with it all day and just plugged it in at 57%, I'll reserve judgement on that for a few days.

Apparently the SD card was mounting and un mounting all the time and causing the phone to run slower than it should but I didn't notice unless I was working with photos. Anyway I feel like I have a brand new phone again. :)

Andrew Smith20

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I actually do tech care for one of the big 4 and finally was allowed to get my note 4 and am having a couple of issues. Right after leaving the store I recvd a message that my phoneui had force closed and then the phone power cycled on its own. This morning it power cycled on its own, and again this afternoon. Finally master reset, wiped cache part, got rid of the sd card from my note 3, didnt reinstall any apps, and also updated software via kies. So far no more power cycling, but i just played with the camera for the first time and when playing with the different settings and modes those options that appear flicker constantly in and out, almost looks like whenever the camera is auto focusing. If i hold my finger to the screen it stops but when i let go its epileptic seizure time. Anyone else seeing this?

Update: cleared data from camera, wiped cache partition again, and powered back on and now the flickering settings have stopped..... for now.

Last edited:

Joseph Bronson

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Ok, after owning a Note, Note 2, and Note 3, with no problems, I thought well I will upgrade to Note 4, bad mistake, battery life really sucks, non responsive to typing commands, freezes up, error reports, and I have only had it less than 30 days, taking it back to Verizon, hopefully to get satisfaction. Either I got a lemon, or they just threw the phone together, it also gets hot.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, after owning a Note, Note 2, and Note 3, with no problems, I thought well I will upgrade to Note 4, bad mistake, battery life really sucks, non responsive to typing commands, freezes up, error reports, and I have only had it less than 30 days, taking it back to Verizon, hopefully to get satisfaction. Either I got a lemon, or they just threw the phone together, it also gets hot.
Sounds like a defective phone. I would contact Verizon for troubleshooting.