Known Note 4 issues?

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
1) The led notification light is incredibly dim. Even on the brightest setting, I can barely see the light go off. Disappointing as the light was perfect on my s3 and I'm used to seeing the notification light (former blackberry user)

Wow! I thought I was the only one who was disappointed by the LED! I'm a former BB user as well (actually I still have a Z10 that I have on my bedside to tinker with), and I have a penchant for bright beacon-like LEDs. I loved the one on the S3 as well. I've dealt with dim LEDs since my S3 on my HTC and Sony phones. Loved the one on my G2. I was hoping for a bright one on the Note 4. I'm sure the LED would be more noticeable on a black Note, but I really like the white one.

cgr1971

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
As a former BlackBerry owner, I can confirm that the led on the black Note 4 is equally poor. I can hardly see it when it flashes.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Err... Coming from a Note 3 where I had simultaneous phone and data in 4g, to not! Am I missing something? Even in 4g I am not able to use Internet while on a call. In which case, this might phone be for sale!
Which carrier? Sprint?

My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 supports simultaneous voice and data.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I can...don't know what settings you may have that keep you from it.
Well, it's Sprint Spark. Doesn't allow for simultaneous voice and data. I got a Karma wifi and I'll use that for the ability. Pretty CRAPPY that I have to pay for and carry an additional device to do what the phone should be doing anyway.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
As a former BlackBerry owner, I can confirm that the led on the black Note 4 is equally poor. I can hardly see it when it flashes.

As another former BB owner, I am just glad they brought back LED support in these phones. I can't remember if it happened in the S2 or the S3, but my old S1 didn't have it. It was a very difficult transition for me!

I'm glad apps like Textra will now allow customized LED notifications.

dorlisa

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed in the last few weeks that my service (Verizon) will drop to 3g and I have never had problems on other phones.... I have to switch to Airplane mode then swap back to get 4g back... and I have noticed camera is laggish.... not too happy with that either but other than those two.. i love the phone.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
As another former BB owner, I am just glad they brought back LED support in these phones. I can't remember if it happened in the S2 or the S3, but my old S1 didn't have it. It was a very difficult transition for me!

I'm glad apps like Textra will now allow customized LED notifications.

I missed it when I got the S1 (Vibrant) after being on BlackBerry and Sidekicks with LED notifications. I downloaded the NoLED app and that was alright, but I ended up uninstalling it because it was draining my battery. The S3 did indeed have LED, and it was big and bright.

devilsattorney

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the problem and it started after a weeks time from purchase. When people call me they get a response that my number is switched off or I am not in the coverage area.
My network mode is WCDMA / GSM.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I have the problem and it started after a weeks time from purchase. When people call me they get a response that my number is switched off or I am not in the coverage area.
My network mode is WCDMA / GSM.
You need to contact your carrier. That is the message they often use when they have turned your account off for not paying your bill.

d_bats

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I have had my Note 4 for 1 week and over the past few days it keeps freezing - can't answer calls, can't close any open application, can't go back, keyboard freezes as does swiping pages. Previously uploaded apps for some reason need to be uploaded again, it makes a funny sound when unlocking/closing out of some things despite having unselected screen lock sound.

I went into the Telstra store this morning and the Tech suggested it may be one of my apps - Twisted Colours - which I had on my S3 for the past 2 years with no issues – which may be interfering with the new Android version.

Tech suggested I uninstall and reboot which I have done as well as removing the SD card (which may be the reason some apps are no longer working????) but the issue has resurfaced this afternoon (I couldn't replicate the issue whilst in store). Tech suggested if this fails to do a hard reset.

I'm not tech savvy but after backing up my phone on Kies 3 I went to settings and selected Factory data reset and note that everything including my Google account will be erased. I am loathe to do this in fear of losing sooooooo much. Can someone provide me with some advice re the freezing issue and how to safely reset and restore with 100% guarantee I won't lose anything from my Google account.
Thank you.

P.S. I'm not even sure if I have posted this properly. Sorry folks.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
You will not lose anything that your Google account backs up if you do a factory reset.

But your phone will be erased and you will have to start over with setting everything up.

If you are experiencing freeze up, I agree with the suggestion to wipe and start over.

I would recommend not reloading any of your apps from your Google account until you have used the phone for a little while to find out if it is a hardware issue.

If the phone works great with no apps loaded, then you know the problem is one of your apps.

If your phone freezes after the reset, you know you need to take it back and get a replacement.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
An alternative to a Factory Reset would be to boot into safe mode and see if the problem is there.
Safe mode does not allow any third party apps to load, only factory supplied apps.
If that works then you know it is an app and you can either enable them one at a time in safe mode or reboot normally and delete them one at a time.
Good Luck!
Ron

Zogmak

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, I would like to share my very disappointing experience with the Note 4.

Before I start though I'd like to say that I previously had a Note 2 and a Note 3. Since I liked the Samsung Note so much buying the Note 4 seemed to be an easy decision, especially since many of the reviews I read were generally favorable and claimed that the Note 4 had better camera, better build, faster processor, etc... Unfortunately, these reviews I realized are apparently not made from the point of view of someone who had used the device day in and day out, as I experienced the following rarely mentioned issues/problems:

(1) Removal of voice recognition control for the "SNOOZE" and "STOP" commands in the stock alarm. This was a BIG MISTAKE in my opinion since those features were so convenient. I tried downloading an app called "WakeVoice" but the voice recognition on the app was awful and there was no widget available. Frankly I am bewildered at why they would remove voice recognition from the stock alarm.

(2) Removal of USB 3.0 transfer speed, also a BIG MISTAKE! I regularly download and/or backup large files and transfer them to my computer and/or flash drive. Samsung apparently decided this wasn't an important consumer need. Seems kind of unusual to move back to USB 2.0.

(3) Inaccurate GPS on Google Maps. My location is wrong by AT LEAST 50 meters even with location on and with high accuracy mode switched on. I never had this problem with the Note 3 and Note 2!! To be fair, the problem was alleviated when I would switch Wi-Fi on. However, I never needed Wi-Fi on the Note 2 and Note 3 to get an accurate location reading. This is important to me since I occasionally go to remote areas in Kuwait (where I live) which don't have proper road signs or markings and of course which have no available Wi-Fi.

(4) Internet browser stalls/freezes when using address bar to perform web search. A really irritating problem.

(5) Phone restarts for no reason

(6) SD card error message appears regularly, some users have described this error in this thread. Irritating, but generally harmless problem. I have a SanDisk 64GB card which never gave me any problems in the Note 2 and Note 3.

I subsequently tried formatting the phone and SD card but it did not fix problems 3-6. I also ensured that my phone had the latest software updates. I emailed Samsung Support in the Middle East, and here is their condensed and somewhat apathetic reply:

"We appreciate the chance of being able to assist you here in Samsung Gulf technical support.

For the inquiries 1 and 2, compared with previous devices, Galaxy Note4 have made the simple UX design for user convenience. According to this device simplification concept, some of unnecessary and unused frequently features are deleted and new enhanced functions to replace this are added where some hardware was removed."

I'm not a software expert, but this answer seemed unconvincing. How much harm did the stock alarm voice recognition do to the user experience? Or USB 3.0 for that matter?? In fact I even detected a hint of arrogance in the reply, i.e., they are basically saying that they are deciding for the consumer what features are useful and what aren't. In my view it is ridiculous to remove useful features that were available on older Note versions. Their reply continues as follows:

"For GPS and browser freezing issues, we recommend you to bring the handset to one of the Authorized Service Centers in Kuwait to be able to diagnose and fix the problems even restarting and SD card error."

They then proceeded to give me the addresses of the technical service centers, as if I couldn't find them on my own. The problem is there was nothing wrong with the phone and these bugs were commonly mentioned on internet forums. And frankly I don't have the time and patience to leave my phone with the service center and wait for what I felt was a REMOTE chance that they would correct problems 3-6.

In the following days I noticed that the S-Voice became more erratic (and this was after a full phone and SD card format), i.e. it would stall often when given a command.

I concluded that this phone was making me miserable, so after a month of usage I sold it and bought a Note 3 again. The people at the store were surprised since the Note 4 is quite popular apparently, but from my point of view I found it disappointing despite some of the hardware and software improvements for the previously mentioned reasons. I guess in the end it depends on your perspective, maybe some of these issues are more important to some users than others. In any case, when the Note 5 comes out I will make sure I wait for a few months and read tons of user reviews in forums before making a buy decision.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I would like to share my very disappointing experience with the Note 4.

(Snipped to save space)

I concluded that this phone was making me miserable, so after a month of usage I sold it and bought a Note 3 again. The people at the store were surprised since the Note 4 is quite popular apparently, but from my point of view I found it disappointing despite some of the hardware and software improvements for the previously mentioned reasons. I guess in the end it depends on your perspective, maybe some of these issues are more important to some users than others. In any case, when the Note 5 comes out I will make sure I wait for a few months and read tons of user reviews in forums before making a buy decision.

I can empathize with you from the perspective that the Note 3 is just fine. I came to my Note 4 from a Note 3 as well. The only gripe I had with the Note 3 was the camera's low-light performance. I moved to the Note 4 because "More of a great thing has to be great, right?" The Note 4's camera (if you don'don't get one with the focusing bug) is indeed superior to the Note 3's. ...and the new display is indeed sharper... but not amazingly so.

Well, I'm on my 2nd Note 4 and this one seems flawless. The first one had that camera focus bug and so I returned it for a replacement. I really like the phone but could have been just fine with the Note 3. To me there's not a lot more offered by the Note 4. It's certainly not the jump that moving from the Note 2 to the Note 3 was IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781