10-16-2014 03:32 PM
59 123
tools
    I agree that VZW wants people to stay on 2 year plans. But why on earth would I trade a phone in to VZW when I paid off 75% of it? I can pay the additional 25% and sell it on EBAY, no?
    As long as you get over the balance owed on it. If you owe $175 and sell it for $200, then what? You have $200,but they are still billing you each month for your phone until it's paid off. You can't Edge up because you don't have the phone to turn in. You can't start a new two year contract on the same line with an open edge agreement and you can't pay more money to pay it off unless you are upgrading. To me, it sounds like the only options are to upgrade at 18 months or keep it the full term.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    10-16-2014 12:51 PM
    At end of year 1, buy out phone (end EDGE agreement), sell phone (hopefully make back whatever it costs to buy out the phone on EDGE). Then, start a new EDGE agreement. Am I missing something?
    10-16-2014 01:03 PM
    At end of year 1, buy out phone (end EDGE agreement), sell phone (hopefully make back whatever it costs to buy out the phone on EDGE). Then, start a new EDGE agreement. Am I missing something?
    Maybe I'm missing something. I don't think you can buy it out unless you are upgrading. If you are, you need to turn in the phone. I am just guessing here. I didn't read the fine print. Not sure.

10-16-2014 01:08 PM
    I have to wait until the end of the month anyway to get mine. I do not want to the white one. I want the black charcoal version.
    10-16-2014 01:16 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something. I don't think you can buy it out unless you are upgrading. If you are, you need to turn in the phone. I am just guessing here. I didn't read the fine print. Not sure.

EDGE for Verizon requires you to pay the monthly amount, pay a bulk sum to get you to the 75% to "edge up" , or pay in full. That is all you can do. Unlike T-Mobile where you can toss $200 or $70 or whatever at it randomly to get it down .. Verizon only lets you pay the monthly .. then pay to edge up or pay it off. Nothing extra.
    10-16-2014 01:17 PM
    EDGE for Verizon requires you to pay the monthly amount, pay a bulk sum to get you to the 75% to "edge up" , or pay in full. That is all you can do. Unlike T-Mobile where you can toss $200 or $70 or whatever at it randomly to get it down .. Verizon only lets you pay the monthly .. then pay to edge up or pay it off. Nothing extra.
    With Verizon, you're right, u can't randomly add money to your balance.. However, you can put a down payment on it in the beginning to get it down faster.... But I still wouldn't do that, all this nonsense has me seriously considering switching to AT&T's next program when the time comes.
    10-16-2014 01:22 PM
    You can always buy out, and then sell the phone yourself. However if you want to start a new Edge, the new terms would apply. So this is the last time we can take advantage of the better terms.
    10-16-2014 01:32 PM
    OK, let me try again with my logic. Tell me if this doesn't make sense. Here are the variables: Let's assume a Note phone always costs $700 on Day 1 and has a residual value of $300 at the end of the first year. Given VZW's current pricing, I will have paid off 60% of the phone by the end of the first year ($420). If I want to "buy out" of my EDGE contract, I pay Verizon $280. I then sell the phone for $300. I sign a new EDGE contract, and repeat this process each year. Total cost to me for "renting" the phone for the year is $700-$300=$400.

Under VZW's new plan, I will have paid 50% of the phone by the end of the first year ($350). If I want to "buy out" of my EDGE contract, I pay Verizon $350. I then sell the phone online for $300. I sign a new EDGE contract, and repeat this process each year. Total cost to me for "renting" the phone for the year is $700-$300=$400.

So, essentially, if you adopt this strategy, the two plans are equivalent. In fact, given a concept known as "time value of money" (i.e., a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow), you are theoretically better off under VZW's new strategy. You save $70 over the course of the year ($420 - $350). Although you have to pay that eventually, you can take that $70 and invest for the year (theoretically).
    10-16-2014 01:49 PM
    One of the benefits of edge was that you don't have to deal with selling the phone yourself. That is why a lot of people trade in. If you are willing to do so then edge would just be a device payment plan with 0 interest. Which is fine, so long as you are willing to sell the phone yourself

10-16-2014 03:32 PM
59 123