Hello everyone. I currently own a iphone 4...I've had it for 4.5 years now. I am wondering how your samsungs did long term? I am looking to make the switch to android...but I am afraid that after spending $900 my phone won't last me as long as this phone has (still going strong ... just laggy now).

So if you've used the same samsung for 2 years plus, I'd like to know how your phone did performance wise, and if you had any color shift or screen issues. My brother used samsung phones the past 3 years (note 2, s4, note 3 and now s5)...said after 6 months it became very laggy. Did anybody else have that issue?

I am currently interested in the note 4

Thanks!
    10-16-2014 01:15 PM
    I had some screen issues on my s3 when i had it within the warranty period. However with my s4 im 2 years running with no issues myself and that was purchased on release date
    10-16-2014 01:18 PM
    I don't have exact numbers, but.... my 3(?) year old S3 is used and abused by my wife and there are no issues. About a year and a half ago it was factory reset when we switched it to her account. Then I got a S4 and it has had no issues.
    I had some minor issues long ago in the past when I would experiment with installing a lot of apps. About once a year I would do a factory reset. But it is not an issue now. Either the OS is better, the apps are better, or I'm not experimenting as much.
    10-16-2014 01:38 PM
    I have a Galaxy S3 that is one month away from two years old and looks and works like it was new. No issues except the SD card took a dump a couple of weeks ago.
    10-16-2014 02:38 PM
    I've been using an S3 for a little over two years. Runs like the day I got it. Very smooth, no issues. The screen still looks great. I never needed to do a factory reset.
    The main reason people have problems with their androids is because they don't delete apps properly. Info from android apps tend to linger in the memory even after the app has been deleted. This can lead to memory fragmentation and make your phone laggy.
    10-16-2014 02:42 PM
    What is the proper way of deleting apps? I thought it was a simple drag to uninstall from touch whiz ? No?
    10-16-2014 02:49 PM
    My mother is still using my old Vibrant that I bought in September 2010. Other than that, I've had many Samsung phones. The shortest time period that I've had one last at this point is one year and 11 months.
    10-16-2014 03:03 PM
    I currently have the Note 2 and this has been a very stable phone for the past two years. Since it is flawless, I will hand it down to my wife and upgrade to the Note 4 which is currently at my door step.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-16-2014 03:22 PM
    Used my S3 for 2 years, then sold it.
    10-16-2014 03:37 PM
    I passed the S3 that I bought on release day down to my son who still uses it today. No issues there.

I got this Note 2 on release day, and it was replaced once by Assurion after I ran the original one over, but other than being run over, I've not had any issues with them. I also just last month retired my wife's Samsung Galaxy Nexus that she got on release day, it's been trouble free side from going through 3 factory batteries, but batteries are wear items on any phone, and also why I would never buy a phone that had a battery sealed into it.
    10-16-2014 03:57 PM
    Oh yea, I have the Note 4 ordered, next Friday I hope to get it from big red!
    10-16-2014 03:57 PM
    I am making exactly the same change as the OP, iPhone 4 to N4. The i4 has been perfect from day one. Now I did buy max protection for it and have had very few incidents that would damage the i4. Still I have to say it was a very well built phone. I do think Samsung has got this figured out though.
    10-16-2014 04:00 PM
    I had the Samsung Fascinate for 2 years and it worked great with no issues. A friend is now using that phone and it has been fine for another 2+ years. My current Note 2 has been great (no screen issues and has held up physically), however, since installation of KitKat update, it has been LAGGY. I did a soft reset, but decided that I was ready for Note 4. Sometimes it is so slow I want to chuck it out the window. Other than that, no complaints.
    10-16-2014 04:02 PM
    I have heard of people using them for awhile .. I personally upgrade every year or so ... Yes I have a problem .
    anon(27512) likes this.
    10-16-2014 04:08 PM
    I had my S3 for only a year, but I bought it used from someone else who had it for 8 months, and when I got it, it had been factory reset (obviously) and ran how I expected a 'new' phone to run. I absolutely loved it. However, right before I sold it, the USB port failed and I chose to switch it over to wireless charging for about $70 as opposed to paying $35-50 to have the port replaced. Honestly, I love Samsung devices, I just think people need to know how to experience them properly. I don't mean to sound like Steve Jobs here, but I use them for a good 6 months to enjoy the new features, then I use a launcher if TW begins to lag. The launcher makes it like new, and it's fun to mess around with all the new settings. Then I go back and forth based on if I want the features, or less lag.

That all being said, I truly believe that the Galaxy Alpha, S5 and Note 4 are part of a big revolution at Samsung in terms of their build. So I would imagine (hope) that with the new, higher quality design language that they will be better even than the previous devices. Hopefully the improvements to TouchWiz as well as Android implementing "Trim" will help the Samsung longevity in terms of software as well as the new hardware improvements.
    10-16-2014 04:20 PM
    You have all been very helpful! Thank you! I've made up my phone...note 4 it is!
    Almeuit likes this.
    10-16-2014 04:24 PM
    ...the edge if I can get my hands on it...and if I can wait a bit longer.
    10-16-2014 04:25 PM
    All the responses so far are positive. I hate to be the first negative review but I had to replace my Samsung Galaxy S3 about 18 months after getting it on launch day. I blame it on the KitKat upgrade that Verizon pushed out. My phone was OK before I started the upgrade. After the upgrade completed, the phone would not turn on at all.

My replacement S3 is very good except the camera is having issues at times (won't run at all). I'm suspecting that it could be partially related to the SD card as I could get it to work (most of the time, but not all the time) if I popped the SD card out.

Now, I'm having a little trouble turning the screen off at times (could be the case holding the button down when I push it, don't know) and a month ago my phone would reboot at random times.

Despite all that, it's the best phone I've ever owned and am eagerly looking forward to getting my new Note 4 next week.
    10-16-2014 05:03 PM
    Hello everyone. I currently own a iphone 4...I've had it for 4.5 years now. I am wondering how your samsungs did long term? I am looking to make the switch to android...but I am afraid that after spending $900 my phone won't last me as long as this phone has (still going strong ... just laggy now).

So if you've used the same samsung for 2 years plus, I'd like to know how your phone did performance wise, and if you had any color shift or screen issues. My brother used samsung phones the past 3 years (note 2, s4, note 3 and now s5)...said after 6 months it became very laggy. Did anybody else have that issue?

I am currently interested in the note 4

Thanks!
    My phones have been perfect so far but the longest time I've owned a phone other then my iPhone 4 which was 20 Months was my Samsung Galaxy s2 skyrocket which was about 10 months. Owned a s3 for 8 months, s4 for 6 months, and a note 3 for 6 Months and all have been perfect so far except for the note 3 battery but that can easily be replaced

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    10-16-2014 05:20 PM
    I had the Sprint Samsung S1 epic for 2 years, then the Note 2 for 2 years now. My wife had the S2, S3 and S4 (after our son cracked screen on S3, it still works and motherinlaw uses it now heh).

After you get android updates it helps to do a factory reset. Seems to get rid of the lag issue's that tend to follow android updates. The only real issue I've had is with the GPS on the S1 and Note 2. After several software updates they seem to have problems (its a common samsung problem). You can fix by rooting and using some apps that fix it.

Never had any other screen, button or case issue's at all.
    10-16-2014 05:28 PM
    I've had the Galaxy Vibrant, S3, S4, S5, Note 2, Note 3 and now Note 4. I use the phone for 6 months no issues ever, then my family takes them and the Galaxy Vibrant is still in use. Never had a screen issue. It is recommended to factory reset your phone every 6 months or so. If you have your phone backed up it can be done in 1 hour. The phones do tend to slow after a few months. When deleting apps go to aplication manager, clear cache, clear data then Uninstall the app. I've had ipods and 1 iPad and I had problems with them.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-16-2014 05:45 PM
    I have a 3 year old Galaxy S3 from the original launch. Put in a UAG case and use a screen protector. Looks and runs like new. With the extra batteries, cases, qi insert, and original box + accessories I hope to get $150 for it. Trading in my wife's old Optimus S. In the end I should have a new Note 4 and break even.. Just like anything good, if you take care of it, it will last.
    10-16-2014 06:08 PM
    Thanks! That addresses my specific concern about Samsung phones. That helps tremendously.
    10-16-2014 10:59 PM
    I have heard of people using them for awhile .. I personally upgrade every year or so ... Yes I have a problem .
    This
    10-16-2014 11:01 PM